675 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

I’m thinking of using the OptionTree plugin for my next theme but just have one hang up before using it on themes, it requires PHP5 . That’s not a problem personally on my local server or my web hosts but I have a feeling not everyone’s host is quite there yet.

WordPress 3.2 will require PHP5 but it’s listed as spring ‘11.

Maybe I’m just worried about nothing but is it too soon to force PHP5 in themes?

559 posts Themes and Graphics
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

Too soon?!

php4 is not supported in any way anymore. For about 2 years. Everybody who runs on php4 now is highly insecure! About 90% of all hosts have php5.2 installed.

If your user uses php4 anymore, tell him to change his host asap. :)

1012 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
wizylabs says

Too soon?!

php4 is not supported in any way anymore. For about 2 years. Everybody who runs on php4 now is highly insecure! About 90% of all hosts have php5.2 installed.

+1

675 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

Too soon?!

I do agree they are waiting to be hacked but 10% of a 1000 sales is 100 unhappy customers. :)

(or 100 missed sales)

1031 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+10 more
Parallelus says

All of my themes were updated in September to require PHP 5 . I’ve had 2 support questions from customers that were traced back to PHP 4 as the cause. With close to 1000 sales since the change that’s less than 0.5%.

1 customer was running PHP 4 locally. No idea why. I just told them to update to PHP 5 . The 2nd issue was quickly resolved by the person realizing they should stop using a free web host :)

There is also an article somewhere (can’t find it now) about WP 3 .2 dropping PHP 4 . It’s confirmed and should be available first quarter 2011.

I’d say it’s safe to use PHP 5 .

1589 posts Chris Robinson
    Located in United States Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

My latest requires PHP5 , like others have said I think its safe to use.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Yup php5 is standard and has been for a considerable amount of time – all my WP themes have ALWAYS been php5 – still get customers who run PHP4 and I tell them it’s insecure and their host should not be letting them run that – it should be 5 by default and if they check their CPanel most hosts installed years ago and gave them the option to simply click a button to switch – easy as that – if it’s not available then they NEED to move – their host doesn’t know what they are doing.

by
by
by
by
by
by