587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
AlexFjord says

I openly admit that I do not fully understand how Adobe used to do their trial except that it during installation required access to their server much in the same way that it does now with their cloud software. We know one of the key reasons they moved to the new system was to help prevent illict distribution etc.

You are right they do offer a trial however there are string of reasons why it is different. Cost difference aside, a software platform and a theme or site (in the case of TF), or a music file etc in terms of itunes and other similar markets are difficult to compare – Adobe own the rights to their software whereas envato do not own the files for sale here. Adobe have their huge scale server system providing access and eventually potentially restricting software also. For 40$ a theme you cannot expect authors here to have that system. I am also pretty sure that controlling access to software is easier than a theme and it is definitely easier to prevent sharing and activation of software than it is to someone uploading a theme to warez etc.

At the end of it all I admit i do not have the tech understanding to explain it better but I know that if the likes of Apple and Google run the same system as here that there must be a very valid reason for doing it and how it works.

In some respects the demos on Itunes, Google play, here etc is like a mini free trial to how thing separate and adobe’s trial being on a much bigger scale is due to it being more controllable, more complex and a higher value

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Armed says

“A 30 day trial period” – why?

No direct download stores operate like this! You don’t get a trial period on iTunes, on Google play or any other. That’s what the demo is of just like any other site. If its broken in 30 days you can apply for a refund just like the other sites….

There is a trend and reasoning here.

Themes cost 50x more than songs, that’s why.

The demos don’t necessarily give you the full picture. The code and admin panel could be the biggest hackjob ever and you don’t see that in the demo.

587 posts
AlexFjord says

And if it does not work like it does in the demo or it is a hackjob then you can request a refund.

you are right a theme does cost 50x a cost of a song but the 30 day trial of for example Adobe is for a software that used to cost 10 x that of a theme (ok now its the same per month but you get a theme for life).

Many authors are getting better and better at offering views of the admin in video or demo mode but a free trial beyond those associated to the demo is wrong. Firstly as 40$ for a them is nothing and if people get the free trial then sales will inevitably for many reasons plumet upsetting authors and making it less appealing for them to create the files. Also some people will decide they don’t want to buy it after the trial not because there is anything wrong with the file but for the wrong reasons.<.br>
Secondly using Adobe as an example if I get a free trial of Photoshop I cannot get the full working software from it. With a theme the only thing preventing people just ripping them from demos here (we see it enough with HMTL files) is that its an effort to get the php, Js etc files BUT if they have a 30 day free trial then they can just extract them from the installation easily and have a full working copy of the theme. This is piracy and unfortunately anyone who thinks this would not happen is kidding themselves and this is the sole reason that again not all (as Diabolique confirmed) but the majority of sites like this do not operate in this way.

One last question @Diabolique – you are an experienced auhtor here with some great files. Would you give someone 30 day free trial of one of your themes? MAybe set up a demo of the admin on your systems (that way it would be much more secure right?). That multi user access to a set up on the authors hosting is the only safe logical way I can see to do that trial then it would not even need to be limited to 30 days?

7 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Armed says

I am not much of a developer, so I don’t know anything about how I could steal the files. I just think it is a cool idea for basic users.

I just tried to get a refund and it got denied :( Yes, $40 for a theme is a steal. But when you start to spend hours and hours trying to change one thing that was coded poorly, it becomes less of a deal. In my recent example, the theme has text styles defined, then they are overwritten in every instance throughout the rest of the stylesheet. I then have to figure out how to re re overwrite everything. It took me forever just to figure out how to change a header font. It gets really frustrating, and this is only one of the problems I am facing.

Then it gets to a certain point where I’m like screw it. I just wasted $40 and a bunch of time, I’m gonna go try my luck on a different theme.

If there is some way to avoid this waste, it would be greatly appreciated.

587 posts
AlexFjord says

And you know what I agree it would be great if there was a way to help less experienced people.

Unfortunately and again I am only guessing but I assume the reason so many direct download sites operate the way it does here is because it is the only feasible (without getting into mass costs and technical complications) to limit the danger of piracy and deliberate payment challenges etc. which would in turn damage the marketplace.

I am sure you case in question was legit but the sad fact is there are many people online who are not so honest.

545 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

If there is some way to avoid this waste, it would be greatly appreciated.

There is, take a bit of time and learn some WP coding. It’s not terribly difficult (though can be frustrating indeed) but push through it and one day soon you’ll be able to build yourself the perfect theme.

Cheers!

469 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
SaurabhSharma says

There used to be a bargain basement:

http://themeforest.net/collections/951392-bargain-basement
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/bargain-basement-closed/64247

It was not effective and was closed last year. :)

6088 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Almost like a used item out in the real world. I could put the used theme on the marketplace for a price, when it sells, the license would be transferred to the new owner. The original author and I would each get a cut.
Thoughts?

\\

by
by
by
by
by
by