397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Monkify says

Well I originally asked this via contacting ThemeForest directly. Our plan was to sell our first theme (Flowhub) as an exclusive on ThemeForest (keep in mind that we didn’t sell it before it being on ThemeForest) and then take it down from ThemeForest to sell on Monkify when we get that website up, which will be something like [removed link to competing marketplace]

I really didn’t get a very straight forward answer from ThemeForest when asking this, and they simply said something like “You are more than welcome to remove your theme at any time.”

Obviously I’m asking this, because I don’t want to break any terms of ThemeForest.

153 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
Genem says

Im pretty sure that you can sell it here exclusively, then remove it, and then sell it on your own site.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Monkify says
Im pretty sure that you can sell it here exclusively, then remove it, and then sell it on your own site.

Well I’m glad to hear that from someone else. :)

Anybody else think the same thing, or know that ThemeForest is ok with this? Depending on responses, I may try and ask them again directly, but I figured I’d take a swing at putting it up here first.

As for purchasers of Flowhub through ThemeForest.. We’d definitely give them access to the theme on Monkify to be able to still receive updates on it, assuming that we will be allowed do what I’m asking about.

1028 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
ThemeBlvd says

I’ve seen support say repeatedly that when you upload a theme, you still own all the copyright to that theme, you’re responsible for making sure it doesn’t get ripped off out on the internet, etc. So I don’t see why if you wanted to remove it from theme forest all together and sell it else where, how that would be breaking any of the rules. I don’t thing being an exclusive author and posting it on theme forest implies Theme Forest holding that over you forever.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

Yes you are allowed to remove it then sell it elsewhere. You must wait 30 days from when you click remove, because the file doesn’t disappear straight away.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Monkify says
Yes you are allowed to remove it then sell it elsewhere. You must wait 30 days from when you click remove, because the file doesn’t disappear straight away.

Oh ok, thanks for that bit of info :) That really helps!

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

Why don’t you opt out of exclusivity, then you can sell it from two points.

From a business perspective, it has it’s advantages and disadvantages (e.g support, but if you manage it well, It’s fine) but still you’re open to double income from multiple sources.

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Monkify says
Why don’t you opt out of exclusivity, then you can sell it from two points. From a business perspective, it has it’s advantages and disadvantages (e.g support, but if you manage it well, It’s fine) but still you’re open to double income from multiple sources.

For one, the rates are absolutely horrible for nonexclusive and two, there’d be no benefit to purchasing our themes for $60 on [removed], if we also sold it nonexclusively on TF for $27.

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Why don’t you opt out of exclusivity, then you can sell it from two points. From a business perspective, it has it’s advantages and disadvantages (e.g support, but if you manage it well, It’s fine) but still you’re open to double income from multiple sources.
For one, the rates are absolutely horrible for nonexclusive and two, there’d be no benefit to purchasing our themes for $60 on [removed], if we also sold it nonexclusively on TF for $27.

Hey Monkify,

To clear up what others have said if you remove the item completely from the marketplace you are free to sell it elsewhere. :)

On a side note, we don’t allow links to competing sites or marketplaces so I’ve had to remove those. Cheers and good luck with Flowhub!

397 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Monkify says

Hey Monkify,

To clear up what others have said if you remove the item completely from the marketplace you are free to sell it elsewhere. :)

On a side note, we don’t allow links to competing sites or marketplaces so I’ve had to remove those. Cheers and good luck with Flowhub!

Thanks for clearing that up Drew, I’ll make sure not to link to our site in the future.

by
by
by
by
by
by