5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
haopei says

Hello,

I am a web developer, I can hold my own in HTML /CSS, but not very well in photoshop. Is it possible for me to purchase a template from ThemeForest, and resell it as my work to my clients? I will be offering customizing and other support, of course.

I’m thinking that this will be similar to outsourcing, but I get the feeling it is ethically wrong.

(Just to be clear, I am talking about blatantly presenting my client with a theme from ThemeForest (the client will not know that the theme is from ThemeForest, nor its cost), and if he likes it, I will purchase it, customize it, and manage it for an additional profit margin.)

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

Can you? Sure, you can. You are free to go out and scam whoever you want, I guess.

And yes, I would consider presenting a client with a design that was purchased from a template website as an original design a scam. There is a difference between an originally designed website and one that comes from a template that anyone on the internet has access to buy. Taking this decision out of your client’s hands by keeping it from them would be scamming them.

402 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

I agree completely with themeblvd. At the marketing/development firm I work for, we’ve been using ThemeForest as a source for “cheaper” clients. We tell them immediately that we would be choosing from templates/themes. They know they’re not getting custom design work, which is why it’s more affordable. Most of the time, they are completely fine with it.

If they are not fine with it and cannot afford something custom, they move on. We keep our dignity and they more than likely end up hiring a lousy firm instead of us. ;)

629 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
VagrantRadio says

I’m sorry, but this kind of crap really pi**es me off. Don’t claim other peoples work as your own simply to profit from a client that doesn’t know any better.

We work really hard on our templates only to sell cheaply to someone who rips off another person for more money.

Go learn Photoshop and create your own stuff.

3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
No. Now go learn some skills and make your own work.

you are being mean kid

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
I agree completely with themeblvd. At the marketing/development firm I work for, we’ve been using ThemeForest as a source for “cheaper” clients.

I do the same with my company. If their budget is small, we use templates and let them know. If the want something original, we make a proposal for something with a different price.

629 posts
+2 more
VagrantRadio says
No. Now go learn some skills and make your own work.
you are being mean kid

Not really a kid, thanks.

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

We give customers a direct link to themeforest.

Most find themeforest difficult to navigate so we end up picking 5 or so to match their business and they choose one from there, but they always see themeforest and the prices and no probs there.

eg:

Template web design services

1125 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
hansv says

Come on people…. It is wrong what he says, but at least he asks the community if it is wrong.

The answer to your question, haopei, would be:

You have to give credits to the original author. You are not allowed to say that it is your design, because it is not. If your client is interested in a website then you show him some designs from Themeforest (as dtbaker said) or you give him a link to themeforest so that he browses through all templates.

You then charge $$ for customizing the design to the client needs.

The cost of the template is “low” so if you are corncerned that the client will think your customization should also be around $20 or $30 dollars…. you have to remember the client that the template is selling in mass. Your customization is not.

But you cannot claim that it is your own theme…. because you bought it here from a great designer/coder who sells his templates here.

By telling the client where you get your stuff… you are not loosing anything, but earning respect for being honest.

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

One thing to mention, if you are using a template more than once for you clients please use the right kind of license, this will save you money and troubles!her

Well i dont use templates for my clients but as many e ,do it is an smart way to provide cheap sites.

As a couple of people here, it is indeed smart/better to tell your clients that this is an template from TF. It’s wrong to claim something that isn’t yours, right?

The authors here put an lot of effort here in there work so credits and respect in anyway are always welcome.

by
by
by
by
by
by