34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
WOLFTHEMES says

hey folks

just looking for opinions here on whether we should be making our themes responsive from the start

especially for new sellers that are just getting into the market, and don’t really know if our themes are even going to sell!

perhaps better to release the theme, fixed width, then if it’s popular, add responsive design in an update.

what do you think?

2204 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I think you should start responsive, Love bootstrap just started using it but man it is very cool.

Cheers

Lester

45 posts
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in United States
premiumwd says

if you choose to go responsive, try this out http://foundation.zurb.com/

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

perhaps better to release the theme, fixed width, then if it’s popular, add responsive design in an update. what do you think?
I don’t think it’s a good practise because some people might have extensive modification done on the stylesheet / layout, so releasing an update with responsive design might mean that the person has to do his work again, or sacrifice the new features by not updating his theme.

I personally try to fit in as much ‘useful’ features as possible within my theme’s initial release. For my theme updates, I usually don’t change the original codes (unless there’s a bug) but introduce new codes instead, and with clear changelog / comments , a buyer can easily upgrade the theme to get the new features by some modifications on the original files.

34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Australia
WOLFTHEMES says

hey thanks for the super quick responses!

yep, i gotcha, do it properly 100% from the start…good advice :)

140 posts moutheme
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
moutheme says

If it will have potential to get popular, it can not become popular because it is not responsive. This is standard feature today.

As mafloral said, built your design with grid, and then code it with bootstrap – and you almost already responsive. Few lines of CSS within media queries and its 100% ready. CSS framework’s help you to save much time compared to coding a template from scratch (even not responsive), which is becoming primitive approach by today standards.

by
by
by
by
by
by