• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

I know a lot of people seem to rag on Dreamweaver, personally I won’t use anything else (too used to it I guess) but I came across this today:

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2012/04/04/dreamweaver-cs6-sneak-peek-shows-new-tools-for-responsive-web-design/

Not sure how it will help WordPress Theme devs but either way CS6 should be packed with all kinds of yummy stuff.

812 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
iamthwee says

Possibly it will come with extra bloat so I’m not sure how useful it will be to WP devs.

That being said, drag and drop dev would speed up the process, but most responsive frameworks come with a very flexible grid system anyway… so layout development might not show significant differences.

When I’m not on my linux(using aptana studio preferred bluefish editor because it is more lightweight) I still use frontpage 2000 for web development on winXP so don’t feel embarassed about using dreamweaver ;)

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Personally, I’m not sure why people find Dreamweaver attractive with all of its unnecessary bloat (geared towards rookies) but that’s pretty neat if they’re able to pull the new tools off successfully. I still think hand coding in just a simple, eye-pleasing, syntax-highlighted code editor is all you need. To each his own, I suppose. :)

812 posts
  • Exclusive Author
iamthwee says

I just realized bluefish ships for windows, how did I not notice this before! Damn I have a new light-weight IDE and it support WP auto-completion and it’s only 4.0MB!!!

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

Personally, I’m not sure why people find Dreamweaver attractive with all of its unnecessary bloat (geared towards rookies) but that’s pretty neat if they’re able to pull the new tools off successfully. I still think hand coding in just a simple, eye-pleasing, syntax-highlighted code editor is all you need. To each his own, I suppose. :)

I agree there is a ton of bloat and that they should focus more on experienced users but thats just not their target user.

I still think dreamweaver has some of the best code hinting and finishing out there, and in CS5 they added the WordPress support to these areas making plugin and theme writing much quicker. I have seen some cool editors for Mac but I just cant tear myself away from Win7 64bit :D

1576 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

All bad, nothing can substitute for hand coding.

315 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
SyamilMJ says

I just hope editors like espresso won’t follow suit to add this kind of ‘feature’. A good editor just needs a bunch of tools with focus on speed.

2019 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I just hope editors like espresso won’t follow suit to add this kind of ‘feature’. A good editor just needs a bunch of tools with focus on speed.

Couldn’t agree more – I STRONGLY dislike Dreamweaver and Photoshop’s attempts at making websites easier – it makes it much harder.

2436 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

^ totally agree with both posters before me.

That being said, I do like Dreamweaver when it comes to creating newsletters (in split view). That’s the only thing I open it for.

As an IDE it’s too bloated indeed and Adobe adding responsive tools would only add to that; anyone that knows how to code a responsive site will surely not need any visual help.

TNW said it well: “This application in particular is great for newcomers to Web design, since it is a cross between a WYSIWYG editor and a full-fledged IDE .

177 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
xdkd says

Shouldn’t “newcomers” learn proper tools from the start? What’s the market for DW? If it’s amateurs, then what’s the market for their creations?

by
by
by
by
by
by