12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
3io says

Hi, first of all, I love responsive design, its great for when you are running a blog, creative portfolio or a business page.

We design eCommerce themes, and I just want to pop this question to see what other developers think.

We have done a little research looking at sites of major fashion brands, none of their sites are responsive, with few exeptions, if you look at armani.com, diesel.com and burberry.com for example you will see traditional design (one size fits all), maybe some images that resize up to 980px grid but not really responsive like we know it. It does have a dedicated mobile view that looks completely different. I think for eCommerce this is the way to go, thus far I have not seen one responsive theme in the magento section that has a handy mobile view. The pages are based on big screen content, with lots of stuff not needed on a mobile.

All these big brands have done their homework, and I for one totally agree with them.

Let me know what you guys think.

Francisco

1093 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
lifwanian says

if you look at www.armani.com, www.diesel.com and www.burberry.com for example you will see traditional design

All of these sites are well known in the fashion world and their main focus is design. Responsive sites are more of a convenience factor, which does decrease the design aspect of things. Also, those sites are very image based (background images, large files, etc), which would simply just take up space on a mobile device…

I do think responsive sites are very important, but they are not for everyone. Anything image/design heavy should probably do at least 2 different sites.

12 posts
3io says
I do think responsive sites are very important, but they are not for everyone. Anything image/design heavy should probably do at least 2 different sites.

Thanks for your your reply, what about the whole product view, add to cart/checkout process, account pages, etc….

They work very well the most of those sites.

You think there is a demand for this type of design on themeforest, and would it be more or less valued by users/theme buyers.

12 posts
3io says

It would be great to get some feedback from eCommerce theme users/buyers, and/or eCommerce theme developers.

173 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
kungfu-themes says

To be honest I think some of the responsive ecommerce templates work quite well.

Remember, the whole point of responsive is fluid layouts. Those sites might have a css media queries that work well for a iphone screen. But what about someone who is using an android with has slightly different screen width or size?

This is where ‘responsive’ comes into it’s own.

What is your opinion regarding this point?

12 posts
3io says

To be honest I think some of the responsive ecommerce templates work quite well.

Hi kungfu-themes

I have to agree that some eCommerce themes work well as I mentioned in the start of this thread, on the other hand, lots of stuff not needed on an mobile device are yet still present, like the complete header/footer structure, body content, product pages, cart page, checkout is the same just smaller and in my opinion unhandy if its not completely redesigned as a dedicated mobile view. Lots of unnecessary stuff that’s needed can be removed to optimize the workflow as apposed to a 1:1 copy but smaller , try for your self with a random theme, and compare it to any of the links above in the start of this thread.

What i am trying to find out if users want a better workflow or not on mobile devices that take them less time to view products, add to cart and checkout, with less scrolling.

588 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Poor implementations are not an indication of an idea’s worth.

I agree the (currently available) Magento themes utilizing responsive design are not high quality in smaller viewports. They are rush jobs with a desktop-first mentality. This in no way reflects on responsive design’s fitness to eCommerce.

In terms of web strategy, device-specific sites are a losing proposition. No organization has the resources to develop them individually for the breadth of devices in use today.

I’ve spoken on this topic extensively (at Magento’s conference) if anyone is interested: http://gravitydept.com/blog/responsive-ecommerce/

12 posts
3io says

Poor implementations are not an indication of an idea’s worth.

I agree the (currently available) Magento themes utilizing responsive design are not high quality in smaller viewports. They are rush jobs with a desktop-first mentality. This in no way reflects on responsive design’s fitness to eCommerce.

In terms of web strategy, device-specific sites are a losing proposition. No organization has the resources to develop them individually for the breadth of devices in use today.

I’ve spoken on this topic extensively (at Magento’s conference) if anyone is interested: http://gravitydept.com/blog/responsive-ecommerce/

Hi Brendan, thanks for your reply.

Right on the mark!

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
vmpro says

Poor implementations are not an indication of an idea’s worth. I agree the (currently available) Magento themes utilizing responsive design are not high quality in smaller viewports. They are rush jobs with a desktop-first mentality. This in no way reflects on responsive design’s fitness to eCommerce.

Interesting thread, I have purchased many e-commerce themes and used them for my business, the problem is always the mobile view, many cases its buggy and useless, and in the comment sections of those themes its what people are most complaining about, I have to say that for $80 to $90 you cant really complain, that’s why I never do.

I hope that one day a developer is going to make a theme that will be mobile user friendly rather then a desktop methodology packed in a tiny screen.

For me the biggest problem is cart abandonment, its a serious issue, like in any retail business

There is a nice article about this : http://seewhy.com/blog/2012/10/10/97-shopping-cart-abandonment-rate-mobile-devices-concern-you

Anyone reading this thread, should take time reading the article, its quite interesting

And 3io, looking forward seeing some great themes with that mindset ;)

1560 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Trying to view websites in a tiny screen is the disaster of the web, it is meaningless and non-sense in many ways…

But (yes, as always, there will be a “but”) , if customers want it , you should code it , you have no other choice.

Don’t listen to the voices in your head, advises frontend developer Nick Jones

by
by
by
by
by
by