35 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
zachlebar says

Please: questions, comments, and critiques are all welcome.

This is a theme-in-progress. It’s called Chivalrie (http://chivalrie.zachlebar.com), and is designed to be a simple and elegant restaurant theme. In my opinion, the restaurant scene is one that’s sorely lacking when it comes to website design. I think that’s a real shame, because skilled chefs are artists in their own right, and deserve an artfully crafted website.

Being a theme, flexibility is essential. Chivalrie is built on a custom fluid grid framework, allowing for one, two, and three column layouts. Out of everything, please excuse the photography. I’m upset I couldn’t find better stock photos to use, because this theme – as any good restaurant site should – thrives on exceptional photography.

As I said above: questions, comments, and critiques are all welcome.

59 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Hyperberry says

In my opinion, the restaurant scene is one that’s sorely lacking when it comes to website design . . . Out of everything, please excuse the photography. I’m upset I couldn’t find better stock photos to use, because this theme – as any good restaurant site should – thrives on exceptional photography.

Your theme is definitely elegant, and I really like your typography / font choices.

I have a couple ideas on how you might improve this design:
  • There is no navigation menu. Do you intend this to be a single-page theme? I think a lot of buyers (and in turn, TF reviewers) are looking for a nav menu. Having a site w/ multiple pages- and an obvious way to navigate between them- is important. Without nav links, sort of looks like a “Landing Page”
  • Gray text seems a bit muted, and you’ve only used a single text color. Think about visual hierarchy & how you can visually distinguish between different sections of content. Maybe more important text (like headlines/subheadlines) could be a darker shade of gray w/ lighter-colored paragraphs. Adding a few more text shades- as long as they are complementary & consistent- should give more variety.
  • Your images ‘above the fold’ distract from the text (especially the image that says “menu”)
  • Underneath “Highlights from our menu”—your three columns seem squeezed together. I would create additional whitespace around these elements by revising the width + adding some extra margin/padding.
  • You mentioned this is Work in Progress, so I’ll assume you’re planning to create additional page templates. I’d strongly recommend creating pages that suit your restaurant niche. Besides the home page layout, you might consider a “Menu page” and/or a page for each dish- that way your “Highlights” can link-thru to a matching page w/ item-specific photos & text.

Best of luck with your submission!

123 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+6 more
Sara_p says

Hi :) Some things:

- I suggest you a better logo design, maybe with an calligraphic and elegant font; - Under the logo add a navigation menu, it’s really important. - The text under the logo (address and tagline) are very hard to read (i use Firefox), the font is dirty and poor of contrast. - What about the image ‘menu’? I don’t understand. - the word ‘regional’ is down. Change font, this is ugly, imho

Work on typography, add beautiful image, maybe add a Javascript (vertical scrolling) to navigate… good luck :)

by
by
by
by
by
by