28 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+6 more
CurlyThemes says

Hi there,

I have a question, is it ok to restrict the Theme Options page by filling out a purchase code and verifying it via the Envato API?

Does this violate the Theme Forest Terms & Conditions?

Thank you

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
SnoopyIndustries says

Wow this is actually an amazing idea. Never thought of it but it sounds really really good. I’ll mark your topic for a staff reply hopefully it’s gonna be a good one. This would hugely limit a theme’s functionality if downloaded from some warez site.

Cheers

544 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

I am 99% sure, that this is allowed. Furthermore, it will greatly improve the warez problem.

28 posts
+6 more
CurlyThemes says

Actually i came up with the idea after thinking how to improve our plugin for creating a Theme Options Page. We will add this option to our plugin, hopefully a staff will reply also to this post.

16 posts
  • Located in United States
luvthemes says

The idea is good, but need only few minutes to remove the restriction. Usually the ‘nulled’ scripts are downloadable without restriction. The best way if you include the necessary files from your server, after validation, but it’s not fair, because the buyer purchase the whole theme.

28 posts
+6 more
CurlyThemes says

Our idea of using a purchase code field in the plugin has actually 2 perspectives: 1 limiting the Theme Options Page and 2 provide automatic updates. What if we would generate the Theme Options page from an JSON file that is loaded only once, on the initial theme install and stored in an options field?

16 posts
luvthemes says

In that case the ‘warez’ websites will use a valid purchase code to load the json file, after that they will add it to the theme. They can bypass any restrictions.

Don’t waste your time on creating restrictions. If someone search for a theme on warez sites then he/she don’t want to spend money. It means you won’t lose sales.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

Good idea, but easily defeated. I think the best way to limit warez is with paid support, if Envato implements it. Then you could even give away the theme and let people pay for support contracts.

16 posts
luvthemes says

Good idea, but easily defeated. I think the best way to limit warez is with paid support, if Envato implements it. Then you could even give away the theme and let people pay for support contracts.

Who will buy a product without support? Why do you care about warez? Who looks for your theme on warez site will not pay for any theme. If you want to spend time with it, just ask the service providers to remove the files from their server.

993 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

Many buyers have problems with the simplest things in WordPress, even finding Purchase code to verify support request is sometimes a problem, so good luck with that. It will just irritate most of buyers, and confuse the rest resulting in many 1 star ratings.

by
by
by
by
by
by