169 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
mikedidthis says

Sup! Just wondering how you guys are handling logos for Retina displays?

At the moment I am creating a fixed sized logo ‘area’ that is 60px x 160px and then providing two PSD with the theme. One at 60px x 160px (Standard) the other at 120px x 320px (Retina), and using the background-size property to support retina.

I didn’t really want to set a limit on logo sizes, but it seems to support Retina, I have to.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Is there any site that compares the retina images and non retina ones? Something like screen photos. I don’t have any big retina display to test it myself, to see why it needs the trouble…

169 posts
+2 more
mikedidthis says

Its manly logos really. Though my image replacement scripts does server Retina images :)

Example: http://mikedidthis-focus.tumblr.com/ (None-Retina // Soon to be updated) Example: http://mikedidthis-simon.tumblr.com/ (Retina)

If you view both on iPhone 4, iPad 3, you can see the difference in the logos.

3557 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Is there any site that compares the retina images and non retina ones? Something like screen photos. I don’t have any big retina display to test it myself, to see why it needs the trouble…

It needs the trouble because all images(not only logos) look just a little bit blurred on retina displays. Of course this depends .. i’m not troubling myself with this just yet anyway :D

To see the difference simply take your compressed jpg logo, double the size, save it, then open it again and change it’s size back to the original one. That’s how (not that bad though) all images look on the third iPad.

3072 posts
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Hm, if it’s only logos… I think can be used only a single image(no css bg), the big version, scaled to fit the logo container… I think that will look good on both devices and there is no need for fancy css queries…

• I just saw those sites with a small retina screen and there is a difference.
169 posts
+2 more
mikedidthis says

I had the same idea, but then, the issue is serving a logo twice to the size to know Retina users.

Damn Apple with its shiny shiny things! Thanks for the comments btw folks, interesting discussion!

101 posts Live Long and Prosper
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DryThemes says

@wickedpixel – not just the logo. All onsite images looks blurry. And its not just Apple. For example Nokia N900 (800×480; 3.5 in; 266ppi) or newer samsung phones, htc, motorola, etc… :(

But you can create one large 2x resolution image and then scale down by 50% in browser via CSS for all pixel density displays. You can play as well with device recognition so you can avoid bandwidth issues.

I didn’t try this yet, but I’ll certainly will. If you guys have any tips, please post here :)

3557 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I didn’t try this yet, but I’ll certainly will. If you guys have any tips, please post here :)

Javascript .. detect a different ppi and if that’s the case, change the images. If they are embedded, a _x2 suffix would suffice, or if they are inside css, you might want to change the classes which contain them(background images).

I haven’t tried this yet, but it’s how some do it..

1661 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

What’s wrong in using vectors? There’s SVG around.

2028 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

My upcoming WP pluign supports Retina displays. I mainly had to iclude 2 sizes of all images and a little bit of CSS . The menu icon was a little bit tricky though.

To target Retina displays with CSS I use
@media only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5),
    only screen and (-o-min-device-pixel-ratio: 32),
    only screen and (min--moz-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5),
    only screen and (min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5) {
             //your CSS here
}
Detecting Retina with JS:
var isRetina = window.devicePixelRatio > 1;
by
by
by