• Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
smudgethis says

I’m getting one for sure.

The main push for me is the solid state drive and the complete re-design of the internal architecture. If apple really have put as much effort into this as they do with the rest of their products then this piece of kit is going to be phenomenal! The fact that the entire interior utilises no third party products means every little piece will be working in perfect harmony with each other without even the slightest sense of incompatibility. That is well worth paying the big bucks for!

The retina display is a nice little extra to what is going to be an insanely fast, efficient and beautiful machine.

177 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
xdkd says
Am I the only one who seas the breakthrough here? This is a huge step forward…

Well, technically Dell had something like 2048×1536 15” laptops years ago, but of course Apple is going to stick fancy “Retina” tag on it and bring it to masses.

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Am I the only one who seas the breakthrough here? This is a huge step forward…
Well, technically Dell had something like 2048×1536 15” laptops years ago, but of course Apple is going to stick fancy “Retina” tag on it and bring it to masses.

Yeah but if you run a 960px page on the dell it will cover 45% of the screen…

255 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says

The resolution is doubled but the system is doubled as well so the relative size onscreen doesn’t change but there are 4x more pixels that make up the graphics therefore it is incredibly sharp. I take it you’ve never played with an iPhone 4+ or the new iPad before. While the operating system can make fonts look good and any system apps as well as apps made Retina-ready specifically by developers, 99.9% of sites with tons of images will look crappy because upscaled images don’t look all that great. We better all hope CSS3 adoption becomes ubiquitous because browsers (at least Mobile Safari) tend to render CSS3 very well even on Retina displays.

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve compared iPad 3 w/ iPad 2 in the store, and my wife as an iPhone 4. I really have to look super close side by side to see any kind of difference. To me there is really no practical difference other than “specs” on paper. But I guess it would be easier to see any difference when you compare extremely small text/fonts.

People say videos on the iPad 3 are amazing… but since videos would usually be a lower res than the retina display, each frame would have to be upscaled, thus you don’t get any “better” quality than a normal screen.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

They’re going to make a killing on all the early adopters of Retina displays :D

The MacBook Pro was pretty slick but something tells me they are going to run into heat issues and at that price, I would rather grab the same money’s worth in parts on NewEgg :evil:

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

They’re going to make a killing on all the early adopters of Retina displays :D The MacBook Pro was pretty slick but something tells me they are going to run into heat issues and at that price, I would rather grab the same money’s worth in parts on NewEgg :evil:

They took the heat into consideration, that’s why they added the vents on the bottom sides and the specialized fan system. But as always, with an all aluminum body, it’s going to get hot as did the previous generation of MacBook Pros.

205 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
acuredreamgift says

The battery segment is something that needs improvement – too big, too little time.
That is a sad story ,I can’t finish my day even on my iPhone or my galaxy GALAXY S II / GALAXY Note…that what drive me nuts the most

you know what is nice?

we already have technology to power devices with no batteries, and is 100 years old stuff.

Tesla’s towers? Wireless electricIty? Is that what you meant?

1365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Nop, gues he ment something else that i saw at ted :) nearest future. Tesla tech is quite different.

1092 posts
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
lifwanian says

^ components. Pro has better/faster parts inside, and only comes in 11” or 13”.

So from my understanding, you can get the 2.6GHz Retina one for $2,800, or the same one without Retina for $2,200? So Retina itself is $600?

Overall, the price is higher than expected, but I can’t wait to pick one up myself. I have the Mid 2009 model, so it’s right around the corner for an update. Perfect timing for getting me a nice graduation present :P

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

^ components. Pro has better/faster parts inside, and only comes in 11” or 13”.

So from my understanding, you can get the 2.6GHz Retina one for $2,800, or the same one without Retina for $2,200? So Retina itself is $600?

Overall, the price is higher than expected, but I can’t wait to pick one up myself. I have the Mid 2009 model, so it’s right around the corner for an update. Perfect timing for getting me a nice graduation present :P

Well, uhhh, it’s not just Retina that’s $600. It’s significantly thinner, lighter, completely redesigned inside, battery is bigger although life is the same (due to the 53487502348532 pixels it has to power), not to mention the change up of ports, venting system, novelty/rarity factor, etc. If you’re due for an upgrade, this is a great time for you. If you just got an MBP recently, you can hold tight. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by