1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

I really don’t get you guys. I have owned few notebooks/laptops and I have never changed anything inside of course I disassembled them apart to clean etc. but not to swap parts. If you want this level of mobility and perfect design you have to deal with it, if not buy yourself an Acer and you will be very happy and you will save $1500! :) P.S I think APPLE II also has proprietary screws. They don’t want you to look inside thats all ;) P.P.S If I ever buy a retina MacBook (and probably I will when they release the 13’’ version) I will buy 3 year Apple care for the first time :))

iFixit: New Macbook Pro is Least Repairable Notebook to Date

I dont think swapping components is really the issue… Ya it looks cool but is having the memory soldered directly to the boards making it impossible to upgrade or repair in case of failure really that functional? Is having the battery pack literally glued inside the laptop making it impossible to repair that functional? Is having the screen be an all in one unit that cannot be replaced that functional?

Call me crazy but if I spent $80,000 on a car and got home to find out that the oil, brakes, glass, speakers, exhaust, etc. could not be replaced or repaired I would be livid. They are not manufacturing these computers to last, they are manufacturing them to be replaced so they can make more money… People will have to buy new ones when their short-term warranty is out and a simple hardware issue that could normally be repaired now hinders the entire unit. I’m sure they will also make a nice penny on people upgrading year after year since its literally impossible to change simple components for more power to hold you over another 6-12 months. Pretty easy to see.

I have always liked Apple product designs but never really saw the real benefits in their computers when it comes to cost:performance. I have loved all my iPhones and iPads, but for computers I’ll stick to custom builds :)

There is a price to pay when you are getting that ridiculously thin with all that power still. There’s a reason for everything they did. The screen is one piece because they reduced the glare while still keeping the vivid colors of a glass-covered displayed. RAM is soldered because there is no room. SSD is replaceable but it is a proprietary part because they didn’t have room to spare using standard bulky parts.

I’m not an Apple fanboy (personally not OVERLY impressed by the new MBP and will not be getting it until Retina adoption is high and the price isn’t ridiculous), I just see the reasoning behind their actions. It is true that if something were to go wrong in the computer, you would be quite screwed but luckily, Apple makes good parts that last. I’ve never had a problem with any of my Apple devices.

51 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Authentic says

I prefer the operating system honestly; I only use Windows now for games. I purchase the extended warranty on the iMac / Macbooks so if any issues occur they can be fixed without additional cost. They retain their value quite well also if you wish to replace it with a newer model.

370 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

My MacBook Pro is only 10 month old and still have some “miles” before it gets swapped for a new model. However I’m also a bit confused about the “Retina”. I was very excited when the new iPad came out and sold my old and get a new with the “Retina” display.

I though I would then have “more canvas” when browsing the web, but a web page takes up just as much space as on the iPad 2. And some images just look more dithered on the web.

It is amazing for watching video, viewing photos and ibooks are very crisp, but i’m not happy with the web experience.

So will the same thing happen on the new MacBook with Retina display ?

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
+6 more
PixelBin says

My MacBook Pro is only 10 month old and still have some “miles” before it gets swapped for a new model. However I’m also a bit confused about the “Retina”. I was very excited when the new iPad came out and sold my old and get a new with the “Retina” display.

I though I would then have “more canvas” when browsing the web, but a web page takes up just as much space as on the iPad 2. And some images just look more dithered on the web.

It is amazing for watching video, viewing photos and ibooks are very crisp, but i’m not happy with the web experience.

So will the same thing happen on the new MacBook with Retina display ?

Exact same thing.

405 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

I went into my local Apple store on Saturday to check out the new macbooks and my god are they thin! When you check out the spec it is pretty stunning to think there is so much power within such a thin case.

As a freelancer who needs to constantly carry my laptop around with me everywhere this is the best option out there by far.

I will definitely be buying one!

57 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
kegler68 says

I’m tempted to get a MBP in the near future and have never owned an Apple computer but I do have an Iphone. As for the new Retina model, i’m quite shocked that for £1800 you only get 256GB flash storage with no way of upgrading it. And once you take the operating system out of the equation how much of that 256GB is left? I know it’s an SSD which makes it ultra fast but the capacity is still 256GB, shocking.

405 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

Just ordered mine

368 posts plop
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
kimonothemes says

I’m tempted to get a MBP in the near future and have never owned an Apple computer but I do have an Iphone. As for the new Retina model, i’m quite shocked that for £1800 you only get 256GB flash storage with no way of upgrading it. And once you take the operating system out of the equation how much of that 256GB is left? I know it’s an SSD which makes it ultra fast but the capacity is still 256GB, shocking.

~10Gb for OSX if I remember

456 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+3 more
godonholiday says

I’m going to wait till the apps catch up and make use of the screen. At the minute some of them just look so bad.

382 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

I’ll say that Retina makes more sense on the Macbook too me than it does on the mobile devices. There it just seems more like a waste / gimmick. Without a sufficiently large display to view it on, lump me in the group that can’t tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (let alone the higher retina resolutions) on screens 32” and lower. However, I do use a DELL screen that’s 30” running 2560×1600 over DisplayPort daily but that’s for the extra screen real estate, not for marketed “retina” reason of clarity.

by
by
by
by
by
by