9 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
cdavies says

For the second time I have had a theme rejected for re-using HTML /CSS code, having only changed graphics for the site. In my mind the website design (the work done in PhotoShop) is what makes a theme truly unique. Am I alone on this?

My first theme was a primarily black on white portfolio website. http://themeforest.net/item/pink-parts/20169

My initial uploaded version only contained the white version of the template. I then figured that it would look great in white on black. I uploaded the black version of the site only to have it rejected. Not a big deal. I updated the original theme with the other version of the site, and the site can be changed by swapping out the style sheet. This was approved.

OK, so I went back to the drawing board with a totally different layout and came up with my second theme. http://themeforest.net/item/architecture-i/20342

Obviously this theme has been approved and is generating a few sales.

I liked this layout and spent many hours creating an Autumn design using the same HTML /CSS layout.

\\

The banner has been significantly changed yet the template was rejected. In my mind people shopping for these designs are NOT designers and would appreciate the variations in banners. As for the ‘filler content’, yes, this is exactly the same on both themes, but this is going to replaced by the new site owner. I think if this is buried in with the Architecture theme it won’t make sense… this new design has nothing to do with architecture.

Anyways, I would be happy to hear others opinions. C

352 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

I agree with you, but I thought this was allowed? I think it was a max a 4 alterations in the design.

Your Autumn design looks great, though!

151 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Keenpixel says

I thought this was allowed also, to an extent. There are other theme authors who have multiple themes based on the same code, just changed the colors. Even less changes then your Autumn theme!

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t have been accepted. It’s a great-looking theme and altered enough to read as a different template, at least in my book.

Hope you get this sorted out!

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

I agree and really like that autumn design.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

I think this should be allowed too. Your new design is definitely enough change to call it a new template. The black and white template wasn’t really a design overhaul, just color options, which should probably included as one template, but you are right, that second template is changed more than enough to appeal to a different customer.

9 posts
+2 more
cdavies says

ok, so I’m not crazy and should have a case ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys,

I’ll let Mark give you his specific reasonings for rejecting this item, though I’ll support his judgment.

The issue with themes like this is, “Where do you draw the limit?”. This template is exactly the same as the first one except for the background image (and how the navigation is shifted up 200 pixels or so).

For that matter, I could create a template, then make ten additional versions that are identical except for one background image and sell them.

Now imagine that every author on this site did that as well. We’d become infested with clones.

Why not include this as part of your first template and then make a request for a price increase to $15?

But, as I said initially, Mark has his reasons for rejecting the template. He’s been doing this for a long time and I will 100% support his decision.

4908 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Hey guys…

Jeff is pretty much right.

The thing is Envato marketplaces do have a variation policy. Allowing up to 3 variations to be accepted. BUT a variation and the same file with a different face are two completely different things.

Cdavies…both of your sites are nice…but second one you submitted was not accepted because it was a clone of the first one, with a different background image in the header. And a shift of navigation. This, as Jeff said would be better off getting added to the current file you have, and asking for a price bump for making a “pack” of themes rather than 1 theme. Many authors are uploading themes with different color options, or different looks bundled together.

A variation is a site, that is noticeably based on another file yet different enough to be…well…different. You were on the right track with the background and navigation modifications…but a variation on your theme needs to be something that a buyer cant do by changing the image’s path in one line of code…

Take your second file, and modify the content a bit…maybe make a thinner banner…make a portfolio sub-page, add a sidebar, add jQuery, that differs from the first, if the first had any…things like this can all be considered viable options towards creating a variation…but the site needs to be different enough to be sold a separate, different file.

Lastly, I’m sorry this happened to you a second time

9 posts
+2 more
cdavies says

Not a problem TF Staff… your variation suggestions won’t be hard to accomplish. Thanks for explaining this.

C

4908 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

your welcome :)

by
by
by