3402 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
bobocel says

I hope it was a joke too! :)

3072 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

That’s just stupid… It’s like using copyright laws from fields like graphics and identity(where originality is required) on coding…
This kills the idea of oop.. ...asks you to rewrite your own classes that will do the same tasks :|

765 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
benny_dh says
yeh this is a pointless thread, of course u can reuse your own code
I would assume it should be, but the guys at rac are going to close my account because I reused my own code. How stupid is that? :(

Damn it! Rent a coder is a freakin stupid website! I heard about them! But bobo you’re one of the top 50 coders in that site, isn’t it? I think they want to close your account cuz you earned too much from that site ;) :P

3402 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
bobocel says

FlashDen is next? :)

2309 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
You can use the same code as long as you don’t cut & paste : you have to type it out again. ;)

Why is that?

i think that was a joke.

Yup .. that’s what the little green winky face was supposed to indicate.

You can surely re-use any code that you haven’t sold the exclusive rights to. Of course, whether or not a contract you enter into on a project grants exclusive rights to all the code it contains is likely to be subject to argument and interpretation, unless you spell it out explicitly in the contract.

2309 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
Damn it! Rent a coder is a freakin stupid website! I heard about them! But bobo you’re one of the top 50 coders in that site, isn’t it? I think they want to close your account cuz you earned too much from that site ;) :P

Since RAC take 15% of earnings it’s unlikely that they’d want to shut down a coder cause he’s making too much money! :)

2309 posts
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
I wrote the code for my own files on FlashDen, so that isn’t the case.
I just picked the first Flash project I found on RAC to look at the terms and this is what I found stated by the client, in answer to the interview questions:

3) All deliverables will be considered “work made for hire” under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased.

3b) No part of the deliverable may contain any copyright restricted 3rd party components (including GPL , GNU, Copyleft, etc.) unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the seller’s Seller Legal Agreement.

I don’t know if these are standard contractual terms on RAC (I imagine they would be) but if so, you surely cannot offer exclusive rights to something on which you have already sold limited rights (on Flashden).

I imagine the safe way would be to negotiate with the client beforehand to obtain the right to reuse libraries of functional utilities, etc. (of your own creation) that don’t substantially affect the way the deliverable product looks or performs.

2309 posts
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

Looked a bit more at RAC and I’m not too impressed with it.

I did however like this one buyers request :

They want to rent a hacker to steal content from a database on someone else’s website!

I don’t imagine that listing will be up for long :)

3402 posts
+6 more
bobocel says

Well, I reused the fullscreen functionality, which is the same on all Flash players. How else can you implement that? :)

282 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Fougie says
Well, I reused the fullscreen functionality, which is the same on all Flash players. How else can you implement that? :)

Just change you Actionscript comments, and reorder the code a little.

If you are not able to do that without changing the effect of the Actionscript, then you are not dealing with something that can have copyright applied to it by anyone.

There are many laws regarding what you can and cannot copyright. But the one thing that all these laws have in common, is that the work must be highly open-ended and unique in nature. If there is only one way to do something, then you can’t assert that your way was unique.

This is why somebody has yet to copyright oxygen and sue us all for breathing it.

So yeah, if you can’t change your code around a little and make it unique, then the people at this site are just idiots who don’t know what they are doing.

by
by
by
by
by
by