6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Imagine a 25 years old author from Monterrey who just turned elite author, His father and grandfather are sitting in the living room watching tv, then the author comes to them and tells them: Papa, abuelo, i became elite author i think its time for us to move to a safer place… :)

ROFL :D

7655 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

just a small clarification. I’ve flagged your first post for the reason I’ve pointed out at the beginning. I know that your post was not really against forum rules so you have my apologize, it will not happen again. I was having a bad day and I’ve got angry. But as you’ve notice I wasn’t doing this anonymously.

anyway, apart that first post till now I didn’t flagged anything else posted by you (or someone else)

163 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
pauloreg says

I don’t see a problem if an author wants to hide his badges, its up to him, its his desire and concern!

In fact the earnings badge attracts more buyers and motivates sellers to earn more and keep doing works because you get the feel of falling behind, so you can see that someone earns more than you and you can try to compete just for motivation. If it motivates you it can desmotivate some people that sees that you are making good money by just selling files easily and they are sitting on offices every day.

Hiding badges is not a factor for evasion of taxes, it will hit you one day, is just requesting your statement to Envato and you are done.

“hiding badges does not help”. I think it improves privacy a bit because with your badge visible the probability of someone get to know you is high. Think of curious people coming from search engines to envato will not understand that much about how the badge system works (unless he joins), its a mere fact of he clicking your name to reach your profile and get your information and can easily know about you especially if you have sensitive information.

Someone said that taxes only applies to companies, that’s not true, there are laws regarding to revenues and activity. Envato is something new for alot of people and alot of countries, when the government starting to get familiar with this kind of activities tough rules will be coming to certain countries.

“Authors have records of earned money but in our world some authors not even have those amount of money, they use it, some can be converted to assets. Envato could be primary source of earnings for most authors. Earnings badge is a mind trick thing, it gives a feel that the author have those amount of money on their accounts but it don’t.” – After reading this thread I found that most people think that way.

I think that Envato should start to design better politics for sellers protection and privacy! Most of the authors I did not known their faces, how their home are, their real name, those things starts appearing with the time on forums and envato sites and it is not a good thing for users that does not want to be a celebrity.

168 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
codeblvck says

It started with badges and now op wants to change the whole account.

I could relate to what the OP said initially about having a setting to make earning badges optional, but now OP is suggesting some major changes. and the excuse seems to be all kinds of personal trust issues. In which case the reasons are not valid or justified.

I still stick with the idea of having earning badges optional, every other point gets a no from me.

633 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

What If I don’t want to live in UK? What I don’t want to leave my friends here. I don’t want to leave everything what I have built here. What if Envato isn’t the only thing I do, but I have actually a company with employees? What if I want to help my country, and not just leave like a coward?

You say you can’t trust your friends, girlfriend, family or the area you live in, and then say “what if you dont want to move or want to leave your friends or family”.

If you have a company with employees then I think envato is not the place you need to worry about with regards to letting people know you are earning to much.

You state its not a solution regarding hiding your identity on themeforest and instead you want to change the structure of the site because you are not willing to take some steps for your own safety.

I agree that it should be an option regarding the badges, but for removing the sales count etc.

Your solution is not good, it will drive sales down. I am sorry you feel unsafe but you keep making excuses on everything without taking account of your own actions… Sometimes you need to think… why do people know I am on themeforest, there is only 1 possible reason, because you have told them!

[...] 1. use an alias for themeforest stuff. 2. register a domain under an alias and only go with domain registrations that accept paypal, this way they cant find anything from credit cards etc. 3. never put anything anywhere which marks you as the author of any theme. 4. setup a real account with your real name etc and only put a useless file which will never sell millions lol, so if anyone checks for you it shows that account. 5. never tell anyone you are on this site. [...]

If this is what Envato authors should do – then something is seriously wrong. And I guess I know what it is – it’s ability to calculate authors earnings. There is a way to fix it: http://marketplaceauthor.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/open-letter-to-envato-make-marketplaces-a-safe-place-for-authors/

Its not Envato’s place to keep you safe, its a marketplace, they have not breached any privacy laws, if you are not willing to help protect yourself there is nothing Envato can do.

Even if Envato take the sales count down or the badges off, it will not help, there are 5-6 well known sites which show every authors stats, I am pretty sure they will not change their policies because them sites are only built to show stats on items and authors.

Please dont get me wrong, I am not against making things optional for people who feel unsafe but as long as its optional.

56 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+2 more
A3WebTools says

It seems like a fairly easy option to put into place, so I don’t think there would or should be an issue hiding the revenue badge.

As for sales, I tend to want to show those off, the higher the number, the more likely it may be for someone to buy. It’s also nice when I can see how far I need to go looking at some of the top sellers in the category.

It’s understandable that some places in the world have either despicable people or potentially violent environments and the authors might need to have some protection at least at glace from people they might not be able to trust.

Looking at the posted solution, I’m not sure that simply changing everything to estimates will truly “protect” someone. Street smarts will win the day out in any situation where you can’t trust anybody around you. Point of pride notwithstanding, if I were going to get robbed for telling someone what I did for a living, I’m not likely to mention it to anyone.

It might be something for Envato to investigate and maybe create some options for some of these things though. There seems to be enough of a debate to gauge what developers or likely to want or need on the site.

596 posts THINK DIFFERENT
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Generator says

^ Well said. Completely agree.

630 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

Nevertheless I think that removing the revenue badge from an author could perfectly be an option, but all the remaining, pleeeease keep it as is.
I completely agree. What would you say to this concept? http://marketplaceauthor.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/open-letter-to-envato-make-marketplaces-a-safe-place-for-authors/
It’s a way how sales could be display – solution which wouldn’t affect authors in any way. It’s an optional feature – only those who want or need it would turn it on.

I think that is unnecessary and it does not seem to solve the security problem that you seem to have.
Once again, hiding the badges does not affect how the marketplace works so I am ok with it. For all the rest, leave it as it is… If you are concerned about security, Envato does not force you to have any personal information across all marketplace, so why should you place it?
In the end I think the solution of your problem is in your hands ;)
10 posts
AnonymousAuthor says

[...] Point of pride notwithstanding, if I were going to get robbed for telling someone what I did for a living, I’m not likely to mention it to anyone. [...]

Yes, I agree. But not everytime it’s possible. Moreover, you don’t have a control over gossips.

Most authors who starts here (like me) didn’t expect big earnings. In the beginning, when I had few sales, I was telling people what I do. Now I can’t un-tell them.

If I could go back in time – I would do things differently.

I think that is unnecessary and it does not seem to solve the security problem that you seem to have. Once again, hiding the badges does not affect how the marketplace works so I am ok with it. For all the rest, leave it as it is… If you are concerned about security, Envato does not force you to have any personal information across all marketplace, so why should you place it?In the end I think the solution of your problem is in your hands ;)

“it does not seem to solve the security problem” > Why not? When I think about it, the total sales wouldn't be visible, badge wouldn't be visible too... Then the sales can't be calculated. Or am I missing something?

"For all the rest, leave it as it is..." > It would be optional. By default it would be turned. Only few authors would turn it on – when they want, if they want, if they need it. Maybe it would affect their sales, but it would affect only their sales, no ones else (moreover I think others could even benefit from it). I still can’t see what would be the problem with this.

“Envato does not force you to have any personal information across all marketplace” ==> Yes. But then the result is: living a secritive life.

It started with badges and now op wants to change the whole account.

I could relate to what the OP said initially about having a setting to make earning badges optional, but now OP is suggesting some major changes. [...]

I still stick with the idea of having earning badges optional, every other point gets a no from me.

Please don’t get me wrong. I did not propose a change. It’s only additional feature, which may be turned on if desired.

Disclosing someones earnings publicly is in general not a good thing.
People should have a choise.

3862 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Surely if I come on here as a user and I click on a file I can see how many times it has been sold which will still give me a rough idea of the kind of income an author is making.

In actual fact this may lead to a more misguided and assumed number than the current badge system.

I am not in anyway against the option of hiding badges being added but as an experienced buyer (If i had the slightest bit of interest in seeing how much people make) I would be more likely to base it on file sales on item pages than think to hover over their badges

by
by
by
by
by
by