70 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+4 more
azyrusmax says

I don’t know if someone have already said what I’m saying below, there is 13 pages before my post :D

When I see an author with elite status and the money he made in themeforest, I just go to his profile to see the works he have done, it helped me understand the marketplace, what buyers like, which theme is popular etc. I think it helped envato grow and helped authors like us make money. Also I think it the reason why there is so many similar looking items.

I really agree with the OP, making the earning badge visibility optional would be good. I left my job last year and started working for themeforest ( also doing freelancing ), and a lot of relatives wonder how I’m living my life :D some of them ask my close friends about it but never ask me directly, so that creeps me out. You might think I’m a bad person and don’t have good relation with my relatives, but that’s not true, I belonged from a middle class family, but when rich relatives see you make money, you are already their person of interest.

Thank you for reading :)

1122 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Switzerland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
SonicCube says

I absolutely agree on the fact that every individual has the right to decide if he wants to tell the world how much he earns ( at least if it’s a legal business ).

In most western civilisations it’s safe to tell how much you earn, you will probably see some jealous reactions but not more.

But as the OP said, there are other countries and cultures. My parents worked for a support project in a very poor country in the eastern part. There you can get in trouble only for wearing good shoes or for having enough money to travel to this country. So i can understand that your life can be threatened by the fact people know you are earning thousands of dollars a month. And for those saying he has the wrong friends surrounding him, you probably have no idea how difficult it can be for someone with money to be surrounded by people who have nothing at all. Friendship is allmost impossible then, just don’t ignore that !

For me it’s ok to hide ALL the badges as an option. We have the right to choose what we want to be public and what not. Even if Envato make the rules and the badges are one of the main reasons for their success. It’s more important to keep their authors/workers safe then having fear for changes.

31 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+4 more
NORDiX says

I absolutely agree on the fact that every individual has the right to decide if he wants to tell the world how much he earns ( at least if it’s a legal business ).

In most western civilisations it’s safe to tell how much you earn, you will probably see some jealous reactions but not more.

But as the OP said, there are other countries and cultures. My parents worked for a support project in a very poor country in the eastern part. There you can get in trouble only for wearing good shoes or for having enough money to travel to this country. So i can understand that your life can be threatened by the fact people know you are earning thousands of dollars a month. And for those saying he has the wrong friends surrounding him, you probably have no idea how difficult it can be for someone with money to be surrounded by people who have nothing at all. Friendship is allmost impossible then, just don’t ignore that !

For me it’s ok to hide ALL the badges as an option. We have the right to choose what we want to be public and what not. Even if Envato make the rules and the badges are one of the main reasons for their success. It’s more important to keep their authors/workers safe then having fear for changes.

+1

95 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wpMix says

I can give you some advice that should be helpful for you:

1. Change your username

2. Change your avatar and all the graphics in your profile

3. Remove links to your website(s) in your profile (if you have any). Or move your website(s) to different URLs.

4. Remove the country flag from your profile

Now it should be more difficult for your friends to find you on Envato.

286 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
mariokulas says

+1

great post..

+1

248 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
ChoclateFix says

Some good points shared in this thread… Can’t wait to see how all this plays out. My 2 cents is that badges should be optional!

565 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Coriiander says

I would totally, fully, whole-heartedly welcome the showing of sales info to be optional – as the author choses. I myself am in a quite exceptional situation due to clashes of the Dutch rule system – my situation doesn’t fit in any box which often leads to complex and quite impossible matters and even lawsuites between various parties. This in turn makes the situation even more difficult. For privacy reasons I really cannot go into further detail, but the opening post pretty much addresses some of its essence in its Legal section. Again, I cannot go into detail here, but I would very, very, VERRRRRRRY much welcome such feature.

On the other hand I suppose authors could change their username, post invalid personal information here, but that wouldn’t really work with regards to net-presence, marketing and payment related things. The latter being why changing a username has no effect as it can still be traced. On the other hand authors could ofcourse choose to just stay away here altogether, but I don’t think that’s what we want.

2186 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I think for people that are concerned they should be able to choose the badges that they want to display.

Maybe there should be an option if i want to show a certain badge or not.

Cheers

Lester

982 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

I can only say that if you are hiding your badges, you can lose a lot of sales.

Personally, I am more confident when buying from authors with many sales and higher earnings. To me, it means that the author is trustful and serious (yes…. I look to to the earnings badge, not at the ratings). Maybe many people do this.

And unless you also have the Elite badge, hiding the earnings badge can decrease your earnings.

5904 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I can give you some advice that should be helpful for you:

1. Change your username

2. Change your avatar and all the graphics in your profile

3. Remove links to your website(s) in your profile (if you have any). Or move your website(s) to different URLs.

4. Remove the country flag from your profile

Now it should be more difficult for your friends to find you on Envato.

That’s an obvious solution when privacy is the only concern. But can we encourage that practice to everyone?

If we look closely, that’s exactly the practice any illegal, copyright infringing uploader would tend to do. So in a license based marketplace, we have to either find a way to guarantee the buyers about Identity verification or at least encourage authors to be more transparent. Not to avoid both.

Personally, if we have a badge that says “Identity Verified”, I would happily hide the earnings badge, my name and other profile details.

by
by
by
by
by
by