2 posts
_Heisenberg says

I completely agree with this gentleman. Privacy and discretion are an important part of… doing business.

1708 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I agree with OP.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I agree with OP.

+1, seems like a reasonable request. This could be a personal safety issue in some parts of the world.

1470 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I’m hiding because I’m afraid. And I’m afraid because of the way Envato works (displaying the revenue of authors).

You seem like a smart person. You created an anonymous account to hide from Envato, but if they want to find out who you are they will find out, like by IP address for example.

I see it as it’s always been this way, so why should they change it just because you are now successful? Businesses are starting to get more open about financials by doing public monthly financial reports. I see each author as having a business, embrace it, love it that you are successful and tell anyone that tells you different to $#@% off! :)

1430 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
IngeniousArtist says

i’m not saying that i agree with OP but it seems like a reasonable request. He did not tell envato to remove the system. He simply told to make an option to hide it. In other words, the authors who have legal/privacy problems due to this can be more safe. It’s not doing any harm to other authors. :)

So +1 to making an option to hide badges.

328 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
cmoreira says

Badges are fun and they also give important transparency and status to one’s profile, but I understand the concern of the OP.

There’s already an option to order the badges. Adding an extra option to choose which badges to display would help people who are concerned about this. I can image a couple of other scenarios where users might want to hide badges (not only for authors).

10 posts
AnonymousAuthor says

Guys, thanks much for your replies, hopefully Envato will get to this…

@motionvids Thanks much for your post :)

First, a small tip to the OP [...]
Yeah, I do it this way. I’d add one thing. When you look at it from the top, here at Envato you basically have to do your business anonymously. Vast majority of top authors do not connect their Envato profile or products with their real names. There are many downsides to this. (reasons I’ve mentioned in OP plus other you could think of). But this is how Envato ecosystem enables us to earn money.

The only thing that I find disturbing about this topic is that the badges give of the impression that we receive 100% of all earnings. Which in fact is not the case as we authors know.
Yes, this s a concern too. Most of authors I have talked to see this as a problem because it’s kind of misleading.

You seem like a smart person. You created an anonymous account to hide from Envato, but if they want to find out who you are they will find out, like by IP address for example.
They know who I am. I wrote to Envato support before I have created this thread. I just didn’t want being connected to it publicly (as this thread is public, support tickets are (hopefully) not :D )

I see it as it’s always been this way, so why should they change it just because you are now successful?
I didn’t think about this kind of stuff in the beginning. I have started realising all these problems afterwords.

Businesses are starting to get more open about financials by doing public monthly financial reports.
Yes. The the governments try to spy on people more and more. IRS is doing all they can to get all they can get. Now with FATCA – that’s why many wealthy americans are getting rid of US citizenship. Remember SOPA or CISPA? And all what NSA is doing… I don’t consider all this as a good thing. Regarding to what’s happening to US during last few years, I’m really glad that I’m not american. Everyone should have right for privacy – from constitution.
3576 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

While you do have some valid concerns there, i find it interesting that you care so much about your appearance in public. Maybe i don’t quite understand you, but if you make lots of money on Envato you might buy a nice car, a nice house, travel a lot, etc.. Won’t your friends see this anyway? I mean, you cannot live inside a ball (don’t know if it has any sense in English) all of your life.. Why are you ashamed / afraid of? I don’t get it.. You are not stealing, you are not doing any harm through your own, you are simply blessed with the opportunity to work honestly in an environment which brings you good earnings – this is no reason for fear or shame.

About taxes .. every one should pay them. I live in a country where the health system is broken and the politicians steal, but i still pay my taxes (of course, it’s a really small fee from what i earn because this is how our laws are).

1536 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Yea well if you remove that then you have to remove sales count on every item since is quite simple to calculate exact number :)

189 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+5 more
EasyDevelopment says

Well, I think it’s fair to keep it, personally, the only thing I hate about the badges & elite author status, is that, even if I release a better plugin that one of an elite author, people will still buy the one created by the elite author ( which I understand ) But anyway, there’s a lot of reasons for that. And I want the badges public, hopefully I’ll get it next month :), makes me work harder if I know it’s public.

by
by
by
by
by
by