• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
SkatDesign says

The only way this can be a bad thing is if you are trying to be dishonest when it comes to your tax returns, trying to say you earn xxx when you are in fact trying to earn xxxx.

Regardless of if your government are corrupt or not, if you have a debt or any kind of tax you should pay it.

In the end it will only come back and bite you in the arse.

Plus not telling your Girlfriend is a little poor of an excuse, if you cant tell your own girlfriend or family members that you are earning xxx then you must be doing something immoral which is why you are feeling ashamed at what you are earning.

Why would one care about this? Why would one care if I pay my taxes or not, if I tell my gf or not?

It’s my choice and I will support the consequences of my actions. Does it affect you if one doesn’t pay his/hers taxes?

The OP has a valid point and it should be optional to make your earnings public.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

Why would one care about this? Why would one care if I pay my taxes or not, if I tell my gf or not?

It’s my choice and I will support the consequences of my actions. Does it affect you if one doesn’t pay his/hers taxes?

The OP has a valid point and it should be optional to make your earnings public.

Regarding friends, girlfriend and family, I was stating that if you cant tell your loved ones and friends then you need to choose your friends a little better and if you cant trust your girlfriend then is she really the one for you. As for family, you should always be able to trust them, I know unfortunately that this is not always the case as you cant choose your family ;)

But if this is the case, you can always distance yourself away from your family.

In regards to taxes, if you are not paying your taxes, I really do not care, it has no skin off my nose… But if you are not paying your taxes then your reasons are invalid for removing the badges, if you only want to hide your badge to dodge the tax man then instead of questioning my views, I think you need to question your views as the best way in life is not a dishonest life.

As I said in my first post:

I can see the point about the privacy but to be honest, be proud, not ashamed by earning.

I was not slating, I was just stating that sometimes trust can go along way, and if you do not have friends that stand by you, reevaluate your friends because you should feel you deserve better.

141 posts Designer & Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
Webbu says

I think same with AnonymousAuthor. The problem is not only badge. Sales counts can be calculate easily. And everybody now Elite Authors have 70% commission = total earning. Some other sites hiding this and only using level badges. I wish Envato understand this problem and give us an option for this.

152 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Asia/Pacific Region
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
huykhong says

I think same with AnonymousAuthor. The problem is not only badge. Sales counts can be calculate easily. And everybody now Elite Authors have 70% commission = total earning. Some other sites hiding this and only using level badges. I wish Envato understand this problem and give us an option for this.

The same feeling.

109 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Nasirktk says

+1, I totally agree with OP. Everyone sees the money you earned, no one sees how much effort for it.

1550 posts
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

For me it’s fine but I clearly understood the issue.

Does anyone posting publicly on facebook how much they earn? Does Envato founders and employees publish how much they earn? Probably not. Some information is private and good if people decide do they want to share it or not.

I understood that paws are great tool to attract new authors but I also understood what issues some people may have from places with high taxes or from places with overall pure life level. I imagine in some countries it’s even dangerous for life to have your name + earnings available publicly.

Best Regards, Andrey

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

I understand the OP’s concerns, and obviously there is some support from the community for this. I honestly never really thought about badges in a negative way, I guess.

For me, the badges are a serious motivator. I’m on other marketplaces that don’t have this kind of system, and of course while I of course am ultimately motivated by money, and on at least one make more than on AJ, I don’t get the same excitement of nearing and reaching an arbitrary goal. It’s silly, but there’s also something deep in my psyche that desires that little digital trophy. So I’d hate to see them go away, and I strongly believe that they’re a big piece of the community nature of Envato that sets it apart from other marketplaces.

I’m not in a precarious situation, though, so it’s comparing apples and oranges. Where I am people certainly judge you by how much you make, no doubt, but there is no reason to fear for safety, and I have to pay taxes regardless of paw color. In any case, very few people actually take me seriously when I say my side job is selling little songs on the internet, and wouldn’t have any idea or care what that badge color means.

But sure, making it optional might be a good feature, though as even the OP points out it’s not difficult to determine the money somebody is making by counting sales, etc. If obfuscation is helpful, why not have a profile name and picture that separates your actual person from your online persona?

4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
feedthegeese says

I’m not an author but I understand the need for privacy… obviously he is not giving all the information (for obvious reasons).

I assume that Envato authors are from different countries…. and those authors who think boasting about their finances is a good thing is probably from here in America or somewhere where its okay to brag about money… the rest of the world… it is not okay or safe to brag about money OR have people know what you make, literally it could get you killed….

But what kind of threw me off is the “Tax” statement… if your evading taxes then I dont feel sorry for you, thats life, you have to pay taxes, so im sure your not going to get any sympathy for that… and if you are trying to evade taxes then I understand why you are on a fake account (smart guy). Envato wont turn you in because they make money off you but someone else could….

Or maybe your ex-wife caught on to how much your making? If so then Hell YES I support your efforts to go private on how much you make… at least give the option to the author,,, for me personally as a buyer, I agree that it does give the author a bit more credibility though

Either way good luck!

1673 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says
I believe revenue badges could have some sort of levels of privacy:
  • public (not recommended)
  • private (only authors can see their own income)
  • community (only registered users can see)
  • B2B (only buyers can see their items’ providers’ badges)

I think this would satisfy all and hopefully strengthen the security.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

* community (only registered users can see)

+1

I think this should be applied for earnings as well as entire comment section. Safe as well as productive.

by
by
by
by
by
by