3557 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says
Story: There is a marriage in a family next month, They have bought jewelry, expansive cloths, and so on. A neighbor sees that they are going to shopping everyday etc. So this very neighbor, breaks the house at the night, kills 12 family members, takes the money, jewelry and other stuff. end of story…Bad Guys: 2, Good Guys 0

Where do you live?! Even if you’re not a rich country this is really unlikely to happen.. I can’t image place where this actually be a true case.

And just as RubenBristian has said here, I have some annoying relatives like that. What they have done is basically never worked hard in live, never tried to earn something and now that they have heard the idea of earning income at comfort of your home, they want me to teach them and basically tell them every bits of success for the past 20 years which I have learned in just 1 day.

I didn’t say that my relatives are annoying. They are all good hard working fellas which wanted to do something better. And i’ve started to teach them web development indeed. This doesn’t need to be a bad issue..

///////////

Anyway, like someone here said: If you can’t trust your friends or family with stuff like this, then the problem is elsewhere, not in the badges.

But of course i don’t know where you come from or what’s your exact situation so you may have a right concern. For what concerns me, i have no problem in showing the badge or sales count on my profile.

6023 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Anyway, like someone here said: If you can’t trust your friends or family with stuff like this, then the problem is elsewhere, not in the badges. But of course i don’t know where you come from or what’s your exact situation so you may have a right concern. For what concerns me, i have no problem in showing the badge or sales count on my profile.

That’s why finding a way to reduce the impact is necessary. For example, earnings related stuff can be showed only for registered users. “Not knowing” the user’s personal issues is not an excuse for a system to be open and public.

I see the original post’s point also fine since so far Envato didn’t take any concious step on this. I guess it is time to make a thorough list of things to be showed towards various people:

1. Open public
2. All Registered users (with / without purchase badge)
3. Only Buyers

The earnings can be showed for all registered users – while displaying the same for public can be optional.

179 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
ThemePrince says

Imagine how Parallelus might feel now with his name all around the site.. :D

BTW you can easily turn the relatives down by saying: “It’s not something I can teach in 1 day and it’s a lesson that you can learn only yourself. But here’s a list what to learn in order: HTML, CSS, jQuery, PHP, MySQL aaaaand WordPress”.. done.. they’re now occupied for years.. :D

323 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
familychoice says

I don’t understand why as a customer, I need to know how much a particular author is making, and I certainly don’t need yet another banner pushing the topbar down (as there is today) telling me someone’s making lots of cash.

I guess Envato hope it’ll attract more authors to their site but I’m sure there are much better (and tasteful) ways of doing this. Taking more notice of feedback would be a start.

524 posts uouapps
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
uouapps says

Just be proud of it! Looking up Belize or Marshall Islands can also help.

having offshore accounts will have you black listed sooner or later, the EU commission is looking at it with a magnifier, the problem will be on how to bring your money back to the EU

as for the main topic of this thread, the person is simply requesting to have the option to show or not the Earning badge that’s all, so as far as he’s an author he’s totally allowed to make this request

On the other hand, even if you hide the badge, it’s easy to get an estimation of your revenues/earning by simply calculating the number of sales per item * price + if you’re bothered by the badge, I guess you didn’t see this yet: http://tf.marketopia.net/statistics/marketplace

Cheers

UOU

132 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
amris says

In a way I totally agree with AnonymousAuthor. I’m also from a post-soviet country and it is true what he/she says about better not let anyone be it your friends or even some family members know what you’re doing and how much you’re earning. I know it may seem weird but not everyone can understand our social background. After all – for more than 40years of soviet rule a whole generation of people have been raised/brainwashed to think that earning extra money is not right. Everything belongs to the society. There are no individuals. If someone was doing something on the side- earning extra cash – that was illegal and that person could be reported – a thing which happened often and from people you wouldn’t imagine – ‘friend’, ‘neighbour’, cousin etc.

Saying that- it’s only understandable that we live with that feeling inside us. I guess it’ll take another generation to change that way of thinking.

As for me – I have a day job and no-one knows what I’m doing on the side. Only my husband. I’ts almost funny and sad, that I can’t share my joy or show off my work to anyone I know. I better choose not to because of all the reasons listed above. I have a hoby and that’s that! :)

1716 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
+6 more
Firsh says

having offshore accounts will have you black listed sooner or later, the EU commission is looking at it with a magnifier, the problem will be on how to bring your money back to the EU

as for the main topic of this thread, the person is simply requesting to have the option to show or not the Earning badge that’s all, so as far as he’s an author he’s totally allowed to make this request

On the other hand, even if you hide the badge, it’s easy to get an estimation of your revenues/earning by simply calculating the number of sales per item * price + if you’re bothered by the badge, I guess you didn’t see this yet: http://tf.marketopia.net/statistics/marketplace

Cheers

UOU

Blacklist who or what? It’s legal tax optimisation. Also not the person would own the account but a company. Also it’d be foolish to do that in or near EU anyway (Cyprus Switzerland).

66 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
Diabolique says

Cheers

UOU
Blacklist who or what? It’s legal tax optimisation. Also not the person would own the account but a company. Also it’d be foolish to do that in or near EU anyway (Cyprus Switzerland).

Tell it to Dolce & Gabbana -> http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2013/06/19/dolce-gabbana-get-jail-for-tax-evasion/

If you live in Italy, you can’t pay taxes in Hong Kong.

1702 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Tell it to Dolce & Gabbana -> http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2013/06/19/dolce-gabbana-get-jail-for-tax-evasion/ If you live in Italy, you can’t pay taxes in Hong Kong.

DG is a company not a person, and the tax laws always apply to companies. The owners of DG companies have to face jail for other reasons (like false income statements) but still they can chose not to pay any tax at all, as any other “too big to fail in the world”, let’s face this.

A normal person who owns no company is completely free to chose to pay the income tax or not. Even if you work for a company on a contract basis, you must know there is no term in any work contract that clearly states employees have to pay income tax. Can laws apply to migrating birds to force them to have a passport and health certificate? Financial laws apply to companies. The governments force companies to pay income tax or threaten to close companies activity and also force companies to take money from their employees. But you as an employee can always go to your company to ask for the full salary, as you wish to pay it yourself. It may sound crazy to some, but you have this right to chose.

Once you state your income to the government, they will always monitor your activity and will punish you for any small incorrect number. If you declared anything, you have to pay, else they will come and take stuff from your home, but if you chose not to declare anything to the government there is nothing to fear. You are free as a bird in the sky. Other people take your money only if YOU decide to.

Anything a government can do to force you (intimidation mostly) is to close your bank accounts in your country and perhaps offshore, but you can file a lawsuit on human rights basis to any active court and you will win. The government has no authority at all.

Back to topic :)

From the concerns above, some options on showing author earning are important. In some cases a special privacy contract between author and Envato can be done.

161 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
codeblvck says

Story: There is a marriage in a family next month, They have bought jewelry, expansive cloths, and so on. A neighbor sees that they are going to shopping everyday etc. So this very neighbor, breaks the house at the night, kills 12 family members, takes the money, jewelry and other stuff. end of story…Bad Guys: 2, Good Guys 0
Where do you live?! Even if you’re not a rich country this is really unlikely to happen.. I can’t image place where this actually be a true case.

Ruben, I originally come from a place where in certain areas you are very likely to get stopped and mugged off your earnings on gunpoint, you can very easily end up getting shot for saying no, that could be just over a mobile phone. Your pets can get stolen if they look even slightly exotic. The above is a possibility maybe they wont kill 12 people, but it can be a real scenario.

However Im pretty sure anyone out to rob people on gunpoint and shoot families is probably not visting Envato.

by
by
by
by
by
by