17 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
webmandesign says

Hello everybody,

I was totally excited two days ago when I submitted my first WordPress theme to ThemeForest after that hard work. Surely I was cooled down by hard rejection :)

The theme reviewer wrote:
1. You’re competing with the hundreds of other minimalist designs on TF. Whether a design is approved is based on how it compares, and looks, to the other submissions here. And as a general rule, it’s much harder to get a design approved now than in the past due to sheer proliferation.

2. You’re also going to have to get by with a limited set of variables. Ergo, you need to make more efficient, more effective use of them to get the same results. As I keep mentioning, white space and typography are pretty much what make a minimalist design and you need more work on these aspects.

3. With a limited number of variables, you should ideally be trying different variations. The blog view and footer, for example, are quite as generic as things can get. I don’t mean this in a bad way. It doesn’t look bad but not something the TF userbase will be swooning over.

Well I do understand what he means and I started to work on improvements (not online yet). I would just like to know your opinions on what should I improve, maybe what you don’t and do like.

You can find a demo here: Jaguar demo.

Thanks everybody for opinion in advance.

Oliver

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Zeltins says

First of all, don’t get down by rejection, just keep improving. I think overall it looks great, however you should really read up on typography. You have way to many different fonts and styles. It looks overwhelming for minimal design and they don’t go quite well together. Also, you have really big space issues. (this are the main two) You have to train space and typography. It takes time, but when you get it, you get it.

I think there is too much space on the sides. On the slider there is too much space between title and tagline. Slider navigation is weird, you should take of the arrows and leave the squares. Or else it’s not functional or comfortable. I don’t really like the background. You might want to change the display of partners.

This are just my two cents. Just play around with it and you’ll get it.

17 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
webmandesign says

First of all, don’t get down by rejection, just keep improving. I think overall it looks great, however you should really read up on typography. You have way to many different fonts and styles. It looks overwhelming for minimal design and they don’t go quite well together. Also, you have really big space issues. (this are the main two) You have to train space and typography. It takes time, but when you get it, you get it.

I think there is too much space on the sides. On the slider there is too much space between title and tagline. Slider navigation is weird, you should take of the arrows and leave the squares. Or else it’s not functional or comfortable. I don’t really like the background. You might want to change the display of partners.

This are just my two cents. Just play around with it and you’ll get it.

Thanks man! That was quick :) Well, I wanted the theme to be somehow “open” in space terms. But I can see improvements now :) Definitelly will work on that and also on other parts you mentioned. Thanks for advices!

Oliver

by
by
by
by
by
by