1182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says

If i were the reviewer:

See the design, if good enough, proceed.

Look the the coding, cleanly coded? Proceed.

and then the WP stuff

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Hey jremick!

Since I am registered (beta tester) on ThemeForest I wonder how the review/admin panel looks. Or is this a company secret?

I would love to see behind the scenes of the marketplaces.

You’d have to contact our site manager about that stuff. :)

To be honest, I can’t remember the last time I ran into a situation when reviewing a WP theme that I needed to run it locally with pre-populated post data.

Then, how do you test custom options admin panel set-up by the theme? It seems to me that these options are very important, at least to determine the price.

Or am I wrong?

And how do you test data import?
I think if they’re checking the design first and it doesn’t pass, then they won’t bother with the theme admin panel or anything else. But if the design rocks, I’m sure they take a peak at everything under the hood to determine the price. That’s just an educated guess though.

Yup. For more details on WordPress reviewing though you guys will want to chat with Kailoon. I’ll give him a heads up on this thread so he can provide a little extra feedback.

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
Hey jremick! Since I am registered (beta tester) on ThemeForest

are you? where is your badge? lol

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+6 more
PixelBin says
Hey jremick! Since I am registered (beta tester) on ThemeForest
are you? where is your badge? lol

What I was thinking, as well.

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Hi guys, I just wake up :P OK, just a brief of the review process.

1) Review the live preview to check the design, features ( also read the item descriptions )

2) IF

(a) The design is good enough, proceed to the files testing, localhost testing.

(b) The design is not very good but it offers some unique features, proceed to the files testing, localhost testing – may advice the author to improve the design and re-submit. We’d love to see more unique design / features / approaches in a theme, so, we will encourage the author to improve it.

3) I seldom use the sample data from the author but I will add content manually. Some of the themes are using custom post type which required different type of data and testing.

4) Test all the custom options, widgets, functions and features and make sure it works as described.

5) Read through the documentation file. This is tricky, some authors provide > 100 pages instruction and you wont expect we read all that. So, we just scan through the content and see whether he cover the main features setup.

(a) I will check the files ( codes ) and see how it works. Some authors provide a very flexible option where the user do not have to touch the code to edit anything. For example the 3 columns data, slider’s content ( can add and remove – ajax ) etc ) – This is also a reason to increase the price.

(b) Some authors provide good (unique) features but it required manual setup, for example the user need to copy a bunch of codes and paste to somewhere, or they need to upload images to certain folders and change some codes to make the slider works properly.

6) If everything oK, I will check some key files to and make sure it works and do not contain any self promotion content ( from other theme club or website ).

I think this is pretty much of it.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
+6 more
PixelBin says

1) Review the live preview to check the design, features ( also read the item descriptions )

2) IF

(b) The design is not very good but it offers some unique features, proceed to the files testing, localhost testing – may advice the author to improve the design and re-submit. We’d love to see more unique design / features / approaches in a theme, so, we will encourage the author to improve it.

3) I seldom use the sample data from the author but I will add content manually. Some of the themes are using custom post type which required different type of data and testing.

4) Test all the custom options, widgets, functions and features and make sure it works as described.

5) Read through the documentation file. This is tricky, some authors provide > 100 pages instruction and you wont expect we read all that. So, we just scan through the content and see whether he cover the main features setup.

(a) I will check the files ( codes ) and see how it works. Some authors provide a very flexible option where the user do not have to touch the code to edit anything. For example the 3 columns data, slider’s content ( can add and remove – ajax ) etc ) – This is also a reason to increase the price.

(b) Some authors provide good (unique) features but it required manual setup, for example the user need to copy a bunch of codes and paste to somewhere, or they need to upload images to certain folders and change some codes to make the slider works properly.

6) If everything oK, I will check some key files to and make sure it works and do not contain any self promotion content ( from other theme club or website ).

So basically you’re getting payed for nothing? haha just kidding Chan :) Thanks for the explanation!

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

2) IF

Thanks Kai! You gave great details and it really put my curiosity to rest….

577 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
Bebel says

What about the quality of code? How does that influence the pricing and review process?

Lets assume, a theme uses dead simple linear and imperative code, but has some cool ajax features. But because of the mix of html and php, kind of spagetti code, you are having a hard time modifying the code to your needs – and its really inflexible.

On the other hand we have a theme that uses a custom created php5 based oop framework thats taking care of the code separation html – php and is easy to debug and extend / modify, and really flexible.

Do you guys pay attention to that? :)

37 posts
  • Located in France
Potae says

Instead of posting a new thread with the same subject, I will continue here. This way many of you will see what @Kayloon had said about the review process. So, It’s been 4 years since the last post written here. .. I just want to know how is the review process nowadays. How long does the reviewer look at the live preview or how long it takes to review a theme or a template. One more question. What do I have to write to “message to the reviewer” section?.

1301 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
ImanGM says

Hello Potae,

This thread is for 4 years ago and I think many things are changed in these years. For review time, please read this article:

http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/124

I hope this helps. Maybe someone should lock this thread :)

Cheers,
Iman

by
by
by
by
by
by