454 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
boomopera says

Hi, is there a chance of implementing expiry date on stars we sometimes get for our items?

We all know at least one author who was strategically low rated with 1 star, or rated with 1 star by mistake or rated with 3, 4 stars which were fair cause the item was actually lacking in quality.

What I want to say is this.

There is a learning curve and most of us here strive for perfection. At some point we make it but unfortunately the stigmas of the past remain, even though the author successfully managed to dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s.

If we are to flourish, grow and prosper, we need to be able to let go of the past if its holding us back, so after a certain amount of time please allow us to either remove the stars for particular item or keep them.

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Yes on top of the very unfair star-ratings, it’s unfair that if an item has been updated to address an issue that a user may have given a low rating for, the rating sticks…. forever. The rating system is still deeply flawed, and it’s a massive disincentive to users to produce quality work. Because a couple of undeservedly low ratings could damage its sales potential permanently. This is yet another risk factor to add to the general Envato risk of an item that you’ve spent three weeks working on sinking without trace.

I like the recent improvements to the system. The rater’s comments are very useful to an author, but I’d still like to see them public, like Amazon or Ebay.

In general, lately star ratings have dropped hugely recently. A far lower proportion of users rate. And along with this it seems that it’s now users who have had a disappointing experience who are more likely to rate.

The other thing that bothers me is that on those occasions that I have received a 1-star rating, the user has rarely been in touch with me. Are the users not aware that they can get in touch. From the reasons given on these occasions, the vast majority are informational issues that I could have solved in about 2 minutes by pointing the user in the right direction.

Something needs to be done about the rating system.

6028 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Food for thought:

An item as of 2014 has a serious bug but didn’t sensed by everyone except one buyer. The buyer faces 2-3 days of delay in production and rates 1 star. Still didn’t contact author.

Then the author finds the bug in 2015 and fixes it. In the mean time it sold to 500 buyers – no one updates the new bug fix.

As of 2016, 500 buyers still have bugged item live with their project, while another 500 buyers using the corrected item.

With this scenario, I am sure the item deserves that old rating of 1 star to stay permanent. Why?

Because, the other items which never had such level of bug deserves perfect 5.0 star.

Everything mentioned here is theory but we should be perfect at least in theory :p

273 posts Envato Market Support
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
MhW Envato team says

Hey guys,

Thanks for your great feedback :grin:

Just in case you weren’t aware, there’s actually an ongoing project around the ratings system that serves to identify the main issues, and look at how we can improve it for everyone.

More info as and when :grin:

Christian

454 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
boomopera says

Hey guys,

Thanks for your great feedback :grin:

Just in case you weren’t aware, there’s actually an ongoing project around the ratings system that serves to identify the main issues, and look at how we can improve it for everyone.

More info as and when :grin:

Christian

Thanks for the link..

219 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

As of 2016, 500 buyers still have bugged item live with their project, while another 500 buyers using the corrected item.

Whenever an update is released, there’s a checkbox to notify buyers. So those 500 buyers with the bugged item have the chance of having it fixed.

6028 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Whenever an update is released, there’s a checkbox to notify buyers. So those 500 buyers with the bugged item have the chance of having it fixed.

Yes, but update notification is a feature / choice given for buyers. Buyer has another parallel feature / choice of editing the star rating – if the update impresses them enough. Again – in theory.

I never observed, but if the update notification email has wordings like “If you need to change the rating after this update, click here” then that could be sufficient.

by
by
by
by
by
by