Reviewer accusing me of a blatant rip off in an official email from Envato, where's the love ?

30 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
TrooperFX says

As maupa and Balistique already stated: Your file that has been removed is NOT the one that you are showing in this thread, which is a pretty shameless behaviour. If you decide to complain about a Staff’s decision, you should at least stick to the facts instead of FAKING information to get an advantage.

280 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has referred 200+ members
+6 more
johnnybd says
Dear Mark.
I’ve tried to discuss this with support by replying to a ticket, and the answer I got was as follows:
Hey Johnathan, The claims brought to us were verified and found valid by our review team. It was decided that your item remain disabled but your account remain active so you are welcome to submit new work. Kind Regards, ** *, Envato Support Department

The fact that my account was at stake here only for using the same plugin, the same free set of social icons and a light blue gradient – scares me just about enough for me to keep my mouth shut, Envato gave me a great opportunity, its too much to risk here.

280 posts
+6 more
johnnybd says

@TrooperFX, Balistique and Maupa

The original file was soft rejected and I resubmitted the preview that is shown. I’m not presenting false information, the response I received and the wording from the reviewer where in regards to this updated preview, AFTER the file has been updated.
Now , I used the same social icon pack(the only decent one thats available to use), and a blue background in the original version because I think it sells better. Is that a crime? If so, I admit.
Gray gradient or orange in the background combined with the dark Envato marketplace logos just dont do it for me as much as Colorful social icons and a corporate blue background
Eventually the item is there because of the dynamics, the camera moves, the edit, the music, the animation. Its more than just an empty project with a plugin, icon pack and a background, and if you can look beyond that – its clearly not plagiarism.
By the way, the original project I ripped off from has Skype, Yahoo! and Microsoft logos in its preview which I was not dumb enough to copy – Guess people were too busy spotting plagiarism they missed that part .

130 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
maupa says

Hi Johnnybd, can you please upload the original preview to vimeo and share this link? Without that it is not worth to continue this thread. Let’s talk about facts. Thank you! maupa

757 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
GrizzleFX says

I saw the other preview the other day.

Here’s what I have to say…

You’re the only one who knows if you actually STOLE the idea, but even if you didn’t steal the idea and you just happened to make a project that closely resembled Oko’s project, it would still be violating copyrights.

If I were you I would give up the fight as soon as possible. We’ve already lost two awesome authors (Polansky & GoldenBuddha) to “copyright” violations, and it would be a shame to see your account deleted.

280 posts
+6 more
johnnybd says

@GrizzleFX: Advice taken. Loving Envato too much here to even think about being locked out of the party. Just have to focus on making the next puppy a truly outstanding one.

118 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
WilQ5 says

In my opinnion yes the files are very simmiliar even that johnnybd one looks a bit better duno i didint see the real preview of your file but the one in vimeo looked very very simmiliar i understand that there truly is a posibilitie that some of the people can think in the same way let me explain why do i think so ( there was one time one author released a cool logo and it turned out that this logo looked exactly like something i was wondering to do but in that time i couldint execute in same vizual impact and ofcourse i didint go for that logo idea anymore because there was no point) so even if two people think the same way making idea i don’t believe that its possible to use same or very very similliar technique to achieve it and use even same color paterns this just feels wrong but i dont want to accuse or anything its just my point from my personal experience . I hope some will understand what i ment to say ;) peace guys !

2301 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

In my opinnion yes the files are very simmiliar even that johnnybd one looks a bit better duno i didint see the real preview of your file but the one in vimeo looked very very simmiliar i understand that there truly is a posibilitie that some of the people can think in the same way let me explain why do i think so ( there was one time one author released a cool logo and it turned out that this logo looked exactly like something i was wondering to do but in that time i couldint execute in same vizual impact and ofcourse i didint go for that logo idea anymore because there was no point) so even if two people think the same way making idea i don’t believe that its possible to use same or very very similliar technique to achieve it and use even same color paterns this just feels wrong but i dont want to accuse or anything its just my point from my personal experience . I hope some will understand what i ment to say ;) peace guys !
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Here, I have something for you: ............................................................... ( <- period points)

That should be enough for a while.

5180 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Synchronicity is certainly not impossible. In fact synchronicty is often not quite what it seems. I once got accused of plagiarising a band’s graphics, because I made a knowing visual reference to the same extraordinarily well known piece of print-graphics work from the early 20th century as their designer had done. The accuser accused me because of a lack of knowledge of the reference in question on his part. Very irritating.

That said though, the files are extraordinarily similar in form and content, so I guess you can’t blame the reviewer for coming to the conclusion that he/she did. If I were the author of the original file, I would assume that it’s a rip off. Your file is actually rather more elegant, but although it’s minimal, there are no elements that are significantly different.

Edit.. Oh! That was my forum post #4000! Do I get a badge?

1622 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

Maybe it is not a ripoff, because it is too similar to be a ripoff….. Somehow I just couldn’t believe that you actualy saw it and made it so unbelievably similarly SAME knowing that. Because to me the preview that you uploaded to VH, which I saw, looked like the same file uploaded again. And I thought “Oh.. wait.. How did this got again on the first page???” Now I realize it’s not the same file…

Yeah, it looks same. Sorry mate. JUST BE ORIGINAL for god sake….

If this looks so similar… why would anyone do it in first place.. I don’t understand.

by
by
by
by
by
by