• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Ok..i understand that i am not a very good designer, and the reviewer team has the right to reject my themes.

But what happens when a reviewer rejects a theme which was approved one month ago in the PSD category, telling that one of the pages looks cluttered? It is just me, or the reviewers are really subjective with the authors on TF?

When a design is in the PSD category the reviewer doesn’t have any right to reject the HTML theme based on it. It is unethical and unfair. If we support a ticket, we get an answer after a week. If we open a forum thread, it gets locked. Does anyone listen around here?

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Good, one less competitor.

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

Hey Ruben,

As far as my understanding, if an item was accepted as a PSD Template, then it should automatically pass the design review for WordPress & HTML .

Have you tried to discuss this with the reviewer or support? The reviewers are only human and mistakes can happen. The best thing to do is to reach out to them and discuss it civilly. :)

They’re usually very open to discussion about the item and if you have a valid point, they won’t ignore it.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Hey Jami

Yes, i know that.. I am just fighting with my hotheadedness each time i see a “you got rejected” email. Until now i’ve accepted it each time, but this time i couldn’t resist making a scene :D

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says
RubenBristian said
Hey Jami

Yes, i know that.. I am just fighting with my hotheadedness each time i see a “you got rejected” email. Until now i’ve accepted it each time, but this time i couldn’t resist making a scene :D

I understand. Sometimes we’ve gotta blow off some steam. ;)

If this is your first rejection experience after having so many approved items before it then I’m pretty darn impressed! A lot of authors go through this process with every item they submit.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says
JamiGibbs said
RubenBristian said
Hey Jami

I understand. Sometimes we’ve gotta blow off some steam. ;)

If this is your first rejection experience after having so many approved items before it then I’m pretty darn impressed! A lot of authors go through this process with every item they submit.
Unfortunately this wasn’t my first rejection experience.. That’s why i have a lot of steam :D It gathered from all the past experiences.. On ActiveDen i had indeed a clean record, but on ThemeForest..oh boy it’s hard in here :D
140 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
weblusive says

I’ve never opened such a thread before although got a lot to say just because I don’t think it may change anything but I totally agree with Ruben. I believe there is a “no-second-opinion” policy here unfortunately. Even if the reviewers admit their fault for some point of reviewing process, only in very few cases the decision is made in favor of the author. And I’ve noticed they sometimes just copy and paste those template messages without even having a thorough look at the work. This was the case lately with one of the authors (I won’t reveal the name following the rules of ethics) the PSD version of the work of whom was accepted and HTML rejected for not meeting design requirements criteria. And although this is the only case I know that the reviewer accepted his fault and the item was accepted eventually, I treat this as a sign of low-level respect to an author who may have spent hundreds of hours on his work and just get rejected with one spontaneous decision of the reviewer. And I believe both the authors and Themeforest would benefit from making the reviewing process more “democratic”. For the justice I must say I understand that there are myriads of items uploaded every day for review and reviewers may be mistaken sometimes as they are just humans as Jami stated, but I strongly believe the quality of job must not suffer because of the quantity. I’d really love to hear the opinions of the reviewers on this thread as it concerns a lot of authors here.

172 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemePrince says

I think there should be an option for authors to request another reviewer’s opinion if the first reviewer rejects their item.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hi everyone,

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m the Review Manager for Envato. Before this, I spent a few years as a reviewer here at ThemeForest in addition to working with Envato in various other capacities, including being an author. So I know the ins and outs of review system, what it’s like being an author, how it all ties in with our support system and how each element of the process affects another and the difficulties involved in the various roles here at Envato (reviewers, support, managers, etc).

With that being said…

RubenBristian said
When a design is in the PSD category the reviewer doesn’t have any right to reject the HTML theme based on it.

1) Approval in any one category does not guarantee approval in another category, especially once an extended period of time has become a greater factor.

2) Yes, our reviewers do have the right to reject in these circumstances, but it depends on various factors involved. For example:
  • Time between original design creation and secondary category item submission
  • Design utility and commercial viability for the category being submitted to
  • Saturation of the particular design type in the category being submitted to
  • etc.
RubenBristian said
It is just me, or the reviewers are really subjective with the authors on TF?

That’s not likely the situation. Often times authors complain of reviewers being subjective but authors are also biased towards their own work and are thus pushing their own subjectivity into the equation.

Reviewers are actually more capable of remaining objective as it isn’t their own work they are reviewing. They have no emotional attachment to the work they review, whereas authors do. So it’s easy for authors to blame it on subjectivity.

It’s more likely the situation, if a mistake was actually made, that one reviewer has slightly different design review standards than another. So authors occasionally experience review inconsistencies, most commonly in design.

One thing I’ve learned in the years I’ve been doing this is that people aren’t perfect and there will always be differences between reviewers. This is why we allow authors to request a team review, a review from another reviewer or a review from the Review Manager.

These three options allow for a form of review consistency challenge to make sure a fair decision has been or will be made.

RubenBristian said
Does anyone listen around here?

Not everyone will hear back directly from staff, but, believe it or not, Envato does listen to our community and we take your feedback very seriously.

We are all working very hard at constantly making things better at Envato and giving to our community the things they are asking for (even though it may not appear that way sometimes).

In fact, since I’ve started working in the role of Review Manager, I consistently work 60-80 hours per week, without fail (in fact, I’ve put in around 13-14 hours today alone!). There are even some people who think I don’t sleep because I work so much. Why do I do it? 1) I love the Envato community 2) I want to improve as much as I can for our authors, buyers and our staff 3) I love my job (mostly because of the first two points).

So I listen and I care. ;)

- -

weblusive said
I believe there is a “no-second-opinion” policy here unfortunately.

Please read above options.

weblusive said
Even if the reviewers admit their fault for some point of reviewing process, only in very few cases the decision is made in favor of the author.

Review decisions are occasionally overturned, but this actually goes to show that we have a pretty decent reviewing consistency. If we were constantly overturning reviewer decisions, that would mean there’s a serious issue with one or more of our reviewers.

weblusive said
And I’ve noticed they sometimes just copy and paste those template messages without even having a thorough look at the work.

There’s actually no way for anyone but the reviewer to know whether they had a look through the work. And there are also a wide array of variables at play that determine review speed, such as the history of a specific item.

weblusive said
This was the case lately with one of the authors (I won’t reveal the name following the rules of ethics) the PSD version of the work of whom was accepted and HTML rejected for not meeting design requirements criteria. And although this is the only case I know that the reviewer accepted his fault and the item was accepted eventually, I treat this as a sign of low-level respect to an author who may have spent hundreds of hours on his work and just get rejected with one spontaneous decision of the reviewer.

1) We highly respect all our authors. A review decision like this does not mean we do not respect the author.

2) Reviewer decisions are not spontaneous. They are carefully considered, but they are running by a clock and they are human, so mistakes will be made. It’s the nature of this type of work.

weblusive said
For the justice I must say I understand that there are myriads of items uploaded every day for review and reviewers may be mistaken sometimes as they are just humans as Jami stated, but I strongly believe the quality of job must not suffer because of the quantity.

The quality of our reviewers is actually very good. Yes, improvements can always be made (as with any system) and we’re constantly working towards improving the review system (another reason I work so many hours).

- -

Overall, guys, you have to keep in mind that reviewers have a difficult job in which they are pushed and pulled on from various directions and expected to do the impossible — be perfect.

So when you create threads such as this, it really comes off as a misdirected public complaint that doesn’t really accomplish what you say you want. There’s far more effective ways of going about these types of things.

If you have an issue with a review decision, you can choose from the options I listed above or contact support about it. You’re also welcome to email me about your concerns and I’m more than happy to look into your situation, but keep in mind that I’m incredibly busy and often times take awhile to get back to these kinds of requests quickly.

Thanks everyone! :)

152 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
seal says

It’s often that one reviewer gives one feedback and another reviewer – completely different. Hence – there is no a common criteria, hence the reviewers can NOT be objective. It’s a simple as that. Moreover, if a reviewer has a headache or his girlfriend/boyfriend left him/her – he is again NOT objective, because we are only human. So bottom line, this idea of objectivity is bs – it simply doesn’t exists.

It is also common issue when an html template is not approved as WP for reasons strictly related with the design, e.g. NOT related with WP issues. I also find this approach unfair at least.

by
by
by
by
by
by