22 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
lspoor says

I recently had an HTML template rejected, fair enough but what really bugged me is how they say ‘it isn’t unique enough’. I’m sorry ThemeForest/Envato, but the amount of of theme you’re letting through now that are [removed by mod] or aren’t unique is starting to become a joke. I don’t think you realise how much time us developers actually spend on this. I’m a student and struggle for time (yes I know thats up to me but that’s not the point). I found time to complete this and it gets rejected quicker than you can say Envato.

It is so hard now to have something unique with the amount of items on the marketplace. The reviewer told me to go back and add something to make it more unique, do they not understand this will take more hours to do? To edit the PSD , followed by the HTML . What if you do a WordPress theme? This will take even longer. Personally this has just put me off submitting anything else to ThemeForest.

In my opinion we need to get a service started where we can show one PSD , a homepage for example and get the reviewer to take a look and decide whether it would be capable of acception. At least this will save us authors countless hours wasting our time in the future.

End of rant.

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

I’ve edited your post. Please, try and refrain from insulting others authors work! We’re sorry your item wasn’t accepted, but that does not give you the right to insult other items here.

Sometimes, it’s just best to scrub a file, and start over. The beauty of the Envato review system is in it’s reviewer team! The approve files, in literally hundreds of categories, and they are all beautiful, regardless if the look alike or not. In the end, I must say that I have a feeling the reviewer did his job in being impartial and rejected your item because of what he said, maybe the file isn’t unique enough. If there are 500 items FULL OPTION features, and you bring one, the same, different code, but same features, same feel… it’s a good reason to be rejected! :)

I was rejected for the same reason once, first, to be quite honest, I almost punched the keyboard, but then after a few breaths of air, I took a look at the file, and realized … they were absolutely right! My colors differed, the rest was the same… so I scrubbed the file and started over… You should do the same!

Anger leads to nothing but wasted time and a locked topic! I won’t lock it for now, but please, try to leave the anger out of the forums! We’re all trying to improve our skills, rants are not improving, but degrading them! :)

22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
lspoor says

I’ve edited your post. Please, try and refrain from insulting others authors work! We’re sorry your item wasn’t accepted, but that does not give you the right to insult other items here.

Sometimes, it’s just best to scrub a file, and start over. The beauty of the Envato review system is in it’s reviewer team! The approve files, in literally hundreds of categories, and they are all beautiful, regardless if the look alike or not. In the end, I must say that I have a feeling the reviewer did his job in being impartial and rejected your item because of what he said.

I was rejected for the same reason once, first, to be quite honest, I almost punched the keyboard, but then after a few breaths of air, I took a look at the file, and realized … they were absolutely right! My colors differed, the rest was the same… so I scrubbed the file and started over… You should do the same!

Anger leads to nothing but wasted time and a locked topic! :)
I apologise about insulting others work but I had to say that to explain exactly what I was talking about.

Start over, it isn’t something that can be done in an hour though. It takes hours and hours to create a template.

I’ve been rejected over at GraphicRiver before and totally understood his comments but this was just a joke. The theme included features maybe only one other theme on ThemeForest has. Whats more unique than that?

I can’t afford the time to start over.

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

I apologised about insulting others work but I had to say that to explain exactly what I was talking about.

Start over, it isn’t something that can be done in an hour though. It takes hours and hours to create a template.

I’ve been rejected over at GraphicRiver before and totally understood his comments but this was just a joke. The theme included features maybe only one other theme on ThemeForest has. Whats more unique than that?

May we see a demo? So we can constructively criticise your design? Maybe there are flaws that you haven’t seen!

Remember, it’s your baby, and being so, you might tend to think it’s too cute! :P It’s just human nature! :)

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Anger leads to nothing but wasted time and a locked topic!

No, you are wrong, anger leads to hate! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnFr-DOPf8

22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
lspoor says

I apologised about insulting others work but I had to say that to explain exactly what I was talking about.

May we see a demo? So we can constructively criticise your design? Maybe there are flaws that you haven’t seen!

Remember, it’s your baby, and being so, you might tend to think it’s too cute! :P It’s just human nature! :)
http://themes.lukespoor.me/SimplyInfinite/

The layout I agree may look rather similar to other themes but thats one of the main things which is so hard to make unique for your own theme. But I’ve tried to include different features.

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

http://themes.lukespoor.me/SimplyInfinite/ The layout I agree may look rather similiar to other themes but thats one of the main things which is so hard to make unique for your own theme. But I’ve tried to include different features.

It is beautiful, I do agree, good spacing, good typography, good design, clean, minimalist, but the layout… indeed! Same old same old! That might be the problem of rejection!

I’ll go ahead and quote this page, Top Reasons Why ThemeForest Submissions Get Rejected , and sadly, your item falls exactly into the number 1 reason!

1. The overall presentation is generic The slider and three column layout was all the rage a couple of years ago when I started off with Envato. Recently, it has been about minimalism and responsiveness. If you’re following those design trends just for the sake of it without adding your own personality to it, it’ll definitely show. A design can be rejected for genericness if it’s yet another ‘me too’ item with very little identifying, unique touches and details in the design.

And I do tend to agree with this post! Add more of you in it, add something in there that no one else has! On the front page! On every page! Make a double footer, make a sexy footer main heading like the top one! Add your personality to it! ;) Then you’ll probably and most likely be approved! I love it, but I agree with the above blockquote! Everyone has this layout, add something that breaks you from the rest!

Note: these are my personal opinions as an individual member and author of this community and not representative of Envato Staff or the Envato Item Reviewers. My personal opinion does not guarantee the approval of this file for sale on the Envato Marketplaces.

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Very nice template, I am sure you will easily be approved, just add some more unique stuff! Good luck!

22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
lspoor says

http://themes.lukespoor.me/SimplyInfinite/ The layout I agree may look rather similiar to other themes but thats one of the main things which is so hard to make unique for your own theme. But I’ve tried to include different features.

It is beautiful, I do agree, good spacing, good typography, good design, clean, minimalist, but the layout… indeed! Same old same old! That might be the problem of rejection!

I’ll go ahead and quote this page, Top Reasons Why ThemeForest Submissions Get Rejected , and sadly, your item falls exactly into the number 1 reason!

1. The overall presentation is generic The slider and three column layout was all the rage a couple of years ago when I started off with Envato. Recently, it has been about minimalism and responsiveness. If you’re following those design trends just for the sake of it without adding your own personality to it, it’ll definitely show. A design can be rejected for genericness if it’s yet another ‘me too’ item with very little identifying, unique touches and details in the design.

And I do tend to agree with this post! Add more of you in it, add something in there that no one else has! On the front page! On every page! Make a double footer, make a sexy footer main heading like the top one! Add your personality to it! ;) Then you’ll probably and most likely be approved! I love it, but I agree with the above blockquote! Everyone has this layout, add something that breaks you from the rest!

Note: these are my personal opinions as an individual member and author of this community and not representative of Envato Staff or the Envato Item Reviewers. My personal opinion does not guarantee the approval of this file for sale on the Envato Marketplaces.

That may be the case but do they not think about the buyer? Loads if not all people like this kind of layout, its easy to use and read from. I’m not the best of designers and personally that is a great design for me so I don’t really know what else I can do to it.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

The good news is the reviewer is sort of saying “almost there”. I know of cases where items got rejected for design reasons. And in these cases the designers were upset. But they each took the advice of the reviewer, the item(s) then got approved, and in both cases, they said to me afterward, “The reviewer was right, it’s better now”.

What I took away from these instances is that emotion always clouds objectivity.

by
by
by
by
by
by