26 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
arrowsuites says

Currently themeforest is working like Market (allow all people to submit their works), but does not allow Market to decide to buy which works, only Reviewers have the rights to decide ! :crying:

That’s an interesting idea. Have a “rejected marketplace” where if a theme sells enough then it can be moved up to the main marketplace.

26 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
arrowsuites says

The thing that doesn’t make sense to me is how this gets approved: [link removed – please do not call out other authors on the forum. Thanks!]

and the OP got rejected.

I feel like a lot of luck is involved with the review process.

54 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Slovenia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
psvent says

I like the theme because minimalistic is my thing to and I think this is more aesthetically pleasing then quite a few of the items on the marketplace (even some of the top-sellers).

But when you are making a minimalistic design there is always the risk of being to generic (as is the case here). We have a slider / 3 column layout, one highlight color (orange is very common to) and a “different” font, which is a common practice for minimalistic design to.

In an other thread there was a discussion about the main criteria for an item to be accepted and it kinda fell onto two criteria: excellent design / average functionalities OR average design / excellent functionalities. But going thru the marketplace you can also find some themes – even top selling ones – that don’t meet any of the two criteria (at least in my opinion) but they do provide something else – uniqueness or better put a unique user experience. So I guess that is a pretty BIG criteria for your item being excepted.

So @lspoor I suggest you either try to come up with something different for the homepage (try something else then a slider – 3 columns approach), or maybe you can do something with the menu, maybe you can “go crazy” with the font, choose another highlight color… I think there a lot of options here.

I am 100% sure that if you make some tweak, to make it “your own” (as it was mentioned before), you’ll get approved in no time (providing the theme is coded well to :)).

Good luck!

16 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Hexocat says

Guys, come on! Envato made its marketplaces very open for new authors. (Less then a year ago it was IMPOSSIBLE to get to ThemeForest with generic looking item. Most of items were really unique. And getting to PSD category was THE EVENT for any author :D )

You’ve read the ThemeForest user agreement, right? Don’t forget that Envato does not owe you anything. Nobody is saying that if you will spend some time on creating something it will 100% be accepted to ThemeForest. It’s nothing personal: entrepreneurship is always = certain risks. How can you blame reviewers in it?

Stop childish complains and get back to work. You HAVE skills and talent to be approved.

You are so right, Theme forest doesn’t owe anyone anything, right??

NO!

ThemeForest owes the authors it’s very existence! Without this community ThemeForest would be nowhere!

And to the point: working for a month, maybe more, on a project (regardless of the final result), submitting it, and after a few hours getting a laconic, generic, response that it’s just not good enough, it’s like spitting in your face, and in this case, spitting to to the well you drink from.

It shows how little the Evanto team understands the other side of this collaboration and yes, it is a collaboration because without the authors willing to work hard, ThemeForest would be nowhere.

So what I’m suggesting is not for TF to approve based on effort, but to be more open and forthcoming regarding the reasons they choose to approve or disapprove an item. Would it hurt the reviewers to write a few non-generic words about the specific reason an item was rejected? Why don’t they have a better communication line with the authors, instead for them to wait a week in the general support ticket line to get the answer to the most simple question “Why was my item rejected?”

I had to wait more then a week and a long discussion before I got a simple one-line answer of what were the problems with my submission. This is ridiculous! and if anyone from TF is actually reading this, I’m sure you’ll be even more successful if you will have a better communication with the authors.

51 posts
MightyFine says

Would it hurt the reviewers to write a few non-generic words about the specific reason an item was rejected?

Do you know how many templates and themes get submitted daily? It indeed would hurt to give detailed answers without request to everybody, because as much as it’s your time it’s theirs, and that means it’s money.

After all they are minimizing the initial effort and therefor reducing the review time, which I am sure would be the next point of complaint if it took longer due to the detailed reviews. It’s a vicious circle.

And upon further request you do get lots of helpful feedback.

Swallow the bitter taste of rejection and keep on working!

246 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
DanThemes says

@MightyFine I doubt it takes more than 2 minutes to give a personal feedback. Let’s say only on the soft-rejected themes. How about that?

484 posts
  • Located in Austria
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
iHelp says

@MightyFine I doubt it takes more than 2 minutes to give a personal feedback. Let’s say only on the soft-rejected themes. How about that?

Hi, if I think myself into the position of a reviewer, I think what initially counts is the first few seconds once you open a demo page.
If it’s appealing, I take a closer look at it. If I don’t like it, I reject it. This may take only 2 minutes.
But a detailed review takes in depth look into the theme, looking at the typography fine work like line height and such, the color scheme, the spacing, maybe the images used or the coding. This takes a lot more than 2 minutes, at least I would take longer if I looked through a theme carefully. Alone my post here replying to your comment takes me around 10 mins ^^

I feel like this detailed feedback is legit if requested via ticket system.

As far as I remember from being an author before we quit (and oh my, each one of my 10 items has been rejected not only once, but always accepted in the end) I always remember awesome feedback from incredibly skilled staff – upon request.

From rejection to rejection one learns how to read the generic looking reasons and the “truth” will come to one’s eyes faster each time.
I do however remember my soft rejection emails being wonderfully detailed with great and helpful feedback.

And I too have been on the same aggressive, misunderstanding and stubborn page as some of the other guys here… I fought with reviewers, opened forum posts and discussed for weeks. With time comes wisdom and clarity, really! Cheers!

Edit: Wrong nickname, sorry, MightyFine speaking, also support staff for ThemeSector. Sorry for the confusion :)

246 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
DanThemes says

But a detailed review takes in depth look into the theme, looking at the typography fine work like line height and such, the color scheme, the spacing, maybe the images used or the coding. This takes a lot more than 2 minutes, at least I would take longer if I looked through a theme carefully.

I didn’t meant a detailed feedback… A simple “Change the typography, add more contrast, i don’t like the sidebar at all and the footer is too big” is all I ask for, but I don’t even get that.

I always remember awesome feedback from incredibly skilled staff – upon request.

After sending a support ticket asking for specific reasons of why my theme was rejected, I got back a “Your item is not unique, we already have plenty of those. Ask on the forums.” – so, for me, sending a support ticket won’t help you at all. (i’m speaking from my experience, of course)

1525 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Can you imagin authors giving generic answers for support :) How many stars would i get?... gues would have to make red angry smiles to cover the frustration :)

51 posts
MightyFine says

I didn’t meant a detailed feedback… A simple “Change the typography, add more contrast, i don’t like the sidebar at all and the footer is too big” is all I ask for, but I don’t even get that.

I understand, but isn’t that what you usually get upon request?

After sending a support ticket asking for specific reasons of why my theme was rejected, I got back a “Your item is not unique, we already have plenty of those. Ask on the forums.” – so, for me, sending a support ticket won’t help you at all. (i’m speaking from my experience, of course)

In the case of uniqueness to be frank there is not even more to say than “it’s not unique”. They cannot advise to add another slider, make it 5 boxes instead of 3 or similar… if it’s not unique you will have to come up with something new. There are millions of possibilities in which way you can change your theme if it’s “just” not unique, so having concrete feedback here would basically mean they are not suggesting improvements, they are suggesting the whole look and feel of the theme. And this IMHO is too much of a feedback, because it’s your work and not a cooperation.

Every big company on earth has started somewhere, made probably miserable products, then learned, got “rejected” by society, improved, improved, improved until they got “accepted” by society and sold. You just cannot expect others to tell you exactly what to do. It’s feedback, not cooperative work.

Can you imagin authors giving generic answers for support :) How many stars would i get?... gues would have to make red angry smiles to cover the frustration :)

The difference here is the following:

Authors giving generic support: Who is responsible for the theme looking good, the code being perfect and the features working properly? – the author.

Reviewers giving generic feedback: Who is responsible for the theme looking good, the code being perfect and the features working properly? – the author.

Do you see what I am trying to say?

by
by
by
by
by
by