• Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Seems like now we have a concern. Look – it’s a product that we make right ? Right. We do sell the product for the biggest price in real life right? Right. We search for a best buyer, we try to make the best deal by selling our product. So as we know and many times respected authors and even staff discussed – the small price difference doesn’t affect the amount of sales, that means we want the best possible price. Right. Ok now that means our deal depends on who the reviewer is. And as mocarg said he uses the items additional info for suggesting the price. I think now that is a possible way out. But if everyone will start demanding price for themselfs that is going to be a fail of reviewing system. Because the item is always the best for the owner who made it. But if the reviewers give different prices then means there are no real solid pricing system.

For some authors the price difference is crucial. those who sell many items the price 10 or 12; 15 or 20, makes a big difference on income. We have to pay taxes and bills, rent and resources and we have one reviewer who decides how many money there is left after we have done it. And each reviewer gives different price. :))) on the other hand…. Ok cool no problem I will write my wanted price everytime :) thats funny, didn’t know that.

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

But for anything more complex i write in the comment section why my project file should be 20$ or 25$ or 30$... And i always get the price i think it deserves.
Is that allowed? If yes, I will start to do that, too.

Why not? Comment section is there so you can tell the reviewer anything. I use it to explain why my project deserves the price i think it deserves. Reviewer can agree with me or not. :)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Hey guys, just a quick note, we do not actually permit authors to price their own files by just writing and requesting a certain price. We do allow authors to request price changes and we then review the item again and consider the requested price. But its still possible that your price request may be denied and your item’s price will remain the same.

While we cannot ever guarantee exact pricing consistencies between reviewers because the process includes subjective steps, we all try to get as close as possible. We do have a number of factors that help determine price. And please keep in mind that one of our goals is to keep all files on a level playing field while also trying to maximize each item’s selling potential.

Price point plays such a huge factor in sales that it could never be so cut and dry. The pricing difference of $15 to $20 does bring in more revenue, but it could also make a very big difference in sales. I’ve personally seen files sell very well at $15, only to have their sales come to a dead stop once the price was increased to $20. Price point is very important and it can make or break your items in some cases. So while you might think the extra $5 is worth it, per sale. That extra $5 may reduce your overall volume, which would net you less money down the line.

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

^Mark

Yes of course, but i’m not saying “I want 25$ and that’s it!”. I just elaborate why i think my file should have certain price and i’m not doing this for every file, i do it only for the ones i worked hard. And of course reviewer doesn’t always agrees and that is fine with me.

1544 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
dorde says

Price point plays such a huge factor in sales that it could never be so cut and dry. The pricing difference of $15 to $20 does bring in more revenue, but it could also make a very big difference in sales. I’ve personally seen files sell very well at $15, only to have their sales come to a dead stop once the price was increased to $20.

True.
I have good examples for that:
One of my items costs $15, and I have 346 sales now, and counting. Item was in weekly top sellers last week
Other item (same category, similar look and purpose of project, almost the same time spent on project), it costs $20 and it’s sold 34 times, and sales stops.
In the beginning I complained several times because of small price, but lately (lets say in last 2 years) I complained that prices are too high comparing to other items with same quality.

Edit: I just sold the first project I mentioned in my example.

3903 posts After Effects Templates
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
miseld says

What ever you decide to do with pricing, keep on mind what Mark says “Keep all files on a level playing field…” As an author I’m trying to find some balance between price and quality and i always suggest pricing when it’s possible, but as a buyer i’m ready to pay for the quality no matter is it $8 or $40 even more.

585 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
flashato says

I have seen many new projects because I watch each one of them. That is for real, I preview all new incoming AE projects, check the price, version, author, subjective quality and so on. Since the “Item History” (you are able know who reviewed/approved your item) was implemented, I have noticed that the price of items curiously depends on the matter who reviewer was.
I admire the time and effort you put in this search.
You are a lucky guy…
Don’t waste your time with those algorithms.
Reviewers,authors,buyers, are all humans.
Leave some room for mistakes and differences, and all will fit perfectly.

I know Felt Tips is working on a script that analize,review,approve/reject and put the price of templates. Let’s wait ;)

All the best & Peace,
Arthur
218 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Brazil
+5 more
yocreative says

I admire the time and effort you put in this search.
You are a lucky guy…
Don’t waste your time with those algorithms.
Reviewers,authors,buyers, are all humans.
Leave some room for mistakes and differences, and all will fit perfectly.

I know Felt Tips is working on a script that analize,review,approve/reject and put the price of templates. Let’s wait ;)

All the best & Peace,
Arthur

Arthur and his wise words, as always!

by
by
by
by
by
by