• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
DigitalYardSale says

Just to echo what some of you have been saying, having high sales creates a cycle in which you are likely to continue having high sales.

An author has a few high selling files. These files end up in “Popular Files” for a week. This obviously makes it more likely that they will continue to have decent sales. The more sales a file gets, the easier it is for someone to justify buying it.

If the files are good quality and are having good ratings, a lot of people will follow the author on Envato. This means that every time this author releases a new file, more and more people are initially seeing it. Eventually this creates a lot of sales right out of the gate.

Once an author has really started getting a lot of sales, they are featured as a Top Author. This is where the cycle comes full circle. Once someone is a Top Author and consistently has multiple files in the Popular Files for the week, it’s easy to see why their sales would continue to go up.

People are going to be more likely to buy from them because so many people before them have purchased. People will follow these authors and, again, will be notified when they add something new to the marketplace.

This is what makes it possible for a average quality file to have so many sales. Because, at some point, just like everything else, you are buying a “brand”. A brand this author has created and marketed and has been battle-tested. Every file may not be great, but people will buy it just because they trust the author and their brand.

Does any of this make sense? I feel like I’m rambling haha.

488 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

I think what DigitalYardSale says above pretty much ends this discussion. Spot on analysis.

123 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+1 more
redeffect says

D. Is it because they product quality files? This is the least likely of the reasons. There are tons of very high quality files on the envato marketplaces that fit inline with what people buy, some of which have never even seen a sale. Why is this? It’s hard to understand why this is if envato is focusing its marketing efforts equally and fairly.

I’m not complaining or anything, my sales are good for a such little work, but I agree with author with one thing: it’s very hard for many new items (even quality ones) pops up and reach high sales, because of very little time of exposure on homepage (recent items).

I’ve suggestion about this. It’s posted here http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/similar-item-suggestion-feature/35578 but it’s seems that nobody interesting.

151 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Keenpixel says

I think what DigitalYardSale says above pretty much ends this discussion. Spot on analysis.

Agreed!

3085 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says

Just to echo what some of you have been saying, having high sales creates a cycle in which you are likely to continue having high sales.

An author has a few high selling files. These files end up in “Popular Files” for a week. This obviously makes it more likely that they will continue to have decent sales. The more sales a file gets, the easier it is for someone to justify buying it.

If the files are good quality and are having good ratings, a lot of people will follow the author on Envato. This means that every time this author releases a new file, more and more people are initially seeing it. Eventually this creates a lot of sales right out of the gate.

Once an author has really started getting a lot of sales, they are featured as a Top Author. This is where the cycle comes full circle. Once someone is a Top Author and consistently has multiple files in the Popular Files for the week, it’s easy to see why their sales would continue to go up.

People are going to be more likely to buy from them because so many people before them have purchased. People will follow these authors and, again, will be notified when they add something new to the marketplace.

This is what makes it possible for a average quality file to have so many sales. Because, at some point, just like everything else, you are buying a “brand”. A brand this author has created and marketed and has been battle-tested. Every file may not be great, but people will buy it just because they trust the author and their brand.

Does any of this make sense? I feel like I’m rambling haha.

That perfectly makes sense.

24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
YgorDon says

Though I am not a high selling author here yet :), I was recently thinking about this topic too. I think previous comments have some very good suggestions. There might also be some other factors that contribute to higher sales. I will write about them.

For example I have a bussiness card that sold very well for first couple of days, but after two weeks or so, sales dropped to practicaly zero. As soon as the file went downstream with other older files, it got out of the sight too. Other authors probably have similar experience. So one hint could be uploading files in such a way that it gets to front page on friday, so it stays there over the weekend. If item is really interesting and needed, this could give it some boost into the higher selling circle of certain category, which then gives it higher possibillity to stay there and move even higer over time.

Other even bigger factor probably is SEO . Naming. File should be named propperly and in such a way to give it the most chance to be a hit in a search. I have tried that with one of my files and gets very high when I type in something very similar to my title. But even a slight variation changes the result dramatically and the file goes very low. I did not explore this in great detail, but I have a feeling search engine is not very balanced yet. But I am not shure about that. This will be even more important when the amount of files grows and it is growing rapidly.

Quality in my opinion is also very important. I think it is better to upload fewer files, but of higher quality. It is a good feeling to have something outthere that makes a good and usefull contribution. In my case I am also interested into getting some international clients, which would be interested in doing work with me. Good items could bring such projects.

Uploading quality and interesting items, in the long run, could produce some pleasant results. Anyway it is so nice to have some extra money dripping aside like this :)

488 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

So one hint could be uploading files in such a way that it gets to front page on friday, so it stays there over the weekend. If item is really interesting and needed, this could give it some boost into the higher selling circle of certain category, which then gives it higher possibillity to stay there and move even higer over time.
But if you miss the weekend and get added in the monday batch (which seems to be common) – then you’ve got all week to gain enough sales to make the weekly top sellers list. Which could give you the boost to gain more sales and stay there for another week.

Honestly, I think the best advice is to just make quality files. Good files sell well. If you keep adding good files then over time, you may then find it easier to sustain sales on those files.

59 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Smack3 says

Thanks for all the responses.

24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
YgorDon says

Honestly, I think the best advice is to just make quality files. Good files sell well. If you keep adding good files then over time, you may then find it easier to sustain sales on those files.

I totally agree. There are no shortcuts. Or better, shortcut usually turns out to be the longest path from A to B. ;)

Cheers to you all and good luck!

by
by
by
by
by
by