286 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
AkinGn says

I basically forgot how it feels when your item get approved here.. I worked my * off to fix this but I still “didn’t get there”. Comments & critiques are appreciated. here’s the rejection:

While I like the general concept and direction this theme has taken, the template will need to be polished up to be considered for approval.

Right now, your use of white space, typography and general styling will need significant improvements. I’ll be able to provide further feedback as to how to get this approved but only after the design itself has crossed a certain threshold with regards to design quality. I’m sorry to say it’s not there yet.

and here’s the link:

http://wp.sidart.sidmad.com/q-works-wp/

Thanks..

347 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

For me this looks great!

I just want a few things if I were to use this for myself:

Menu:
- That bubble is a good idea, but I don’t like the graphic that much.

Frontpage:
- I’d change the look of the “Welcome to out q-works!” area since it’s doesn’t stand out,
- I’d change the background color to a faint gray for the “Recent blog entries” title and remove it’s left and right margins to separate the top and bottom contents, and
- maybe resize the copyright font size a bit smaller,

Pages:
- I’d swap the page title and breadcrumbs with each other,
- I’d make headings in the pages smaller, e.g. the “About” page title is the same size as the “About the Company” and “About Owner” in the about page. The “About” on top for me should be bigger than the rest.

- maybe for this page I’d ditch the sidebar and prefer a 2 column layout instead.

I think this has a very good shot at being accepted. :)

607 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Hey guys,

A couple of notes here:

1. Bfintal’s feedback is pretty spot on. My main concern is how the elements don’t really draw attention, when they should be. The slogan section in the home page and the top section of the other pages [breadcrumbs and titles among others] are the main culprits.

2. When you’re building a premium design, it has to be premium all around. The comment section, for example, is utterly barren. When you have a design teeming with details in lots of places, one would expect the same to propagate to the rest of the template.

3. You have to understand that it’s simply not feasible for us to provide detailed feedback for every submission. We get too many submissions for this to happen. If it’s close to approval, we can point out the issues but if there are a few too many, we can’t.

This is why I always end my emails asking authors to seek feedback from design communities. Often, these communities, as a collective, have far sharper eyes and will often be more honest and direct. Use them to improve yourselves and your design.

347 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

1. Bfintal’s feedback is pretty spot on.

Thanks, my design eye is still in training. The rejection process is honestly both frustrating but a good learning experience.

286 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
AkinGn says

Thanks for the detailed feedback, bfintal. I definitely had no idea what I could do to improve it, now I have.

Siddharth, I would like to also thank you for your comment. The issues you pointed are the ones I couldn’t see, apparently. About your #3rd comment, I do understand it’s not feasible for you reviewers to provide a complicated review. The last review of this item achieved by you and you’re supporting further feedback here, thanks once more.

by
by
by
by
by
by