20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
cerceicer says

Is there a program that I can install on my laptop to make it stop charging the battery when it is at 100%, i heard you can damage your battery in time and shorten its life if you keep the power cord connected at the same time. That is why I have taken the battery out and have just the power cord on my laptop. So is there an way to have both and don’t damage my battery?

laptop is HP 2000

Thx.

295 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

No, software is not capable of controlling whether or not the power supply accepts power.. Therefore it cannot exist.

Your laptop has built in circuits to prevent overcharging.. the problem is when the battery drops below 100%, it shuts off and starts charging again.. so your laptop is always going back and forth between 99.9% and 100% and therefore never has a chance to discharge.

Not being allowed to discharge is bad for the battery, but unfortunately the only way around it is to keep unplugging your charger.

104 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
tips4design says

No, software is not capable of controlling whether or not the power supply accepts power.. Therefore it cannot exist.

Your laptop has built in circuits to prevent overcharging.. the problem is when the battery drops below 100%, it shuts off and starts charging again.. so your laptop is always going back and forth between 99.9% and 100% and therefore never has a chance to discharge.

Not being allowed to discharge is bad for the battery, but unfortunately the only way around it is to keep unplugging your charger.

I think it is not how it works. If battery is 100% and laptop is still plugged in the laptop is powered directly (the battery is now longer “in the circuit”).

LE: Found this answer : http://superuser.com/questions/12838/should-laptops-remain-plugged-in-when-their-battery-is-100-charged

295 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

Still, software cannot do it without an external device controlling the power to the charger.

293 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in India
ideastools says
71 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more