130 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
lukk says

Would I be able to sell a created theme (in PSD ) to an author, then the author codes it and sells it on ThemeForest, meanwhile he’s taking credit (which I’m perfectly fine with) for it?

The reason I’m asking this is because I finished a new PSD theme (click), and was thinking instead of coding it since I’m short on time I could sell it to an author who might be interested in it and he would pass it off as his own..

Is this allowed, also, how much would you sell a theme for (one time price) to an author?

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

The uploaded file would have to be his own creation entirely. Buying something then creating another thing from it is not an own creation in my opinin so I’d say no. You can do whatever you want because you are not the one who uploaded the psd or the theme, you won’t get warned/banned I think. The author you are selling to should know how this works. About the price, I don’t know if I can’t see it. It’s like pricing a car under a sheet.

371 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
QwibbleDesigns says

You could have it coded, and split the profits 50:50 or something. And yes, you can have the coded version on the coders account. I’d be interesting in coding this theme with you and splitting the profits if you are interested =) Contact me through my profile page.

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says
The uploaded file would have to be his own creation entirely. Buying something then creating another thing from it is not an own creation in my opinin so I’d say no. You can do whatever you want because you are not the one who uploaded the psd or the theme, you won’t get warned/banned I think. The author you are selling to should know how this works. About the price, I don’t know if I can’t see it. It’s like pricing a car under a sheet.

I believe that if he gives all right to the other author, and removes the theme, plus he agrees, that the theme is no longer his, then I don’t see why not.

I mean, I give you my file, I have no longer rights over it, and I say it’s yours! Why not, right? It is the creators decision ” who made the file ” ... basically.

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

As long as you provide in written with your signature that the author in question has full rights or rights to sell your design (but giving some credit back to you) you should be fine.

Show us the design :)

130 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
lukk says

I think what I’m going to end up doing is offering it for sale on a different website, with the files all ready and such, and a note in case they ever need to prove it was made by them or something.

@DD – http://www.lukk.info/design

No clue how much something like this would go for though, as you’re selling something that will be resold, and resold..do you charge more/less?

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says
I think what I’m going to end up doing is offering it for sale on a different website, with the files all ready and such, and a note in case they ever need to prove it was made by them or something.

@DD – http://www.lukk.info/design

No clue how much something like this would go for though, as you’re selling something that will be resold, and resold..do you charge more/less?

Check for similar themes on theme forest. See how many sales they make, and then ask for a 25% of lets say 100 sales. or however many you decide.

Problem solved.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Guys… this isn’t a problem. It’s the author’s work. He can do whatever the hell he wants with it, as long as it doesn’t conflict with the ToU. Envato ToU says that you can have variations of the theme (PSD, HTML , Wordpress, Joomla, etc). What makes this situation any different? The author just chooses to “redirect” in a way his work to another author, for a price. The theme will still be made available through ThemeForest and only through ThemeForest.

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

Yes you can do this. Oxylus used the inFocus template with permission for a ecommerce version.

415 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Portugal
unisphere says
Yes you can do this. Oxylus used the inFocus template with permission for a ecommerce version.

Yep, he used on of mine too.

By the way lukk, that design rocks man :bigwink:

by
by
by
by
by
by