12 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ChrisTERiS says

Hello

When for first time I released a script it was soft rejected. Even if the description email was very general, I spent time to change things that I was not totally sure if they have to be changed. In any case after resubmission my script approved.

On Saturday I uploaded for review one of my vBulletin addons. This addon was in the Market for around 1 year having got the best reviews. So I was sure that this time I’ll not have problem with the approval. In addition I have added lots of comments to the reviewer.

What bad surprise for me, when I informed that the script soft rejected. More surprise when I read exact the same email for rejection reason. So I’m wondering:

• The script has been reviewed by a real human who really read my comments? Because everything that I found in the (soft) rejection email was already commented to the reviewer in my initial upload. eg Check for PHP errors, check for security holes etc. These are things that I’ve already wrote to reviewer. eg “Please pay attention that vBulletin uses a different syntax… The script follows the vBulletin standards in coding..” etc etc. In my PHP scripts I’m using HTML Putifier to clean inputs. In vBulletin addons (if I want to follow vB standards) it does not allowed to use it. I must use the native vBulletin functions to clean inputs.
  • The documentation is a little lacking… This is that makes me to feel that there is an automatic script checking the scripts. And most probably it search for “Quick Start”. How is possible a documentation can be a little lacking, where not only any single option/settings is well documentated, but I also added screenshots to make it more understandable. But, yes, I don’t have a “Quick Start” section. vBulletin does not uses quick start. Uses a standard way to install a plugin in the product system. Upload, Import XML, Set Usergroup permissions, Add/Edit settings. And this is what I did step by step.

The funny thing is that when I had this script active in sales, it was selling like crazy WITHOUT ANY SINGLE LINE of documentations. And this is because vBulletin users are not novice on installing addons. ALL addons are using the same way to Install/Uninstall something that is covering in vBulletin documentation.

So, the end line. I don’t believe that I real human opened my files, installed them in a vBulletin enviropment and tested it. That’s not fair. I respect their time, so I expect my time to be respected.

After all I removed my submission. There is no reason to waste my time again writting notes to reviewer, risking that nobody will read (again) just because a script will check that the uploaded files have not be modified.

EDIT: And here is the …lacking documentation:
http://www.christeris.net/envato/mailinglists_manager/#!/adding_subscribers

28 posts
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
alenn says

Scripts are checked by real humans. I usually send a note to reviewer when I submit new item, and I always get an answer to my note. That happend couple days ago when I tried to submit my second item but it was rejected because of lack of features

86 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
groupp says

Its definitely a human. How do we know? When we first started on the marketplace, we had our first 3 files soft rejected. But the reviewer (Siddarth), patiently (VERY PATIENTLY) responded to our emails and explained our documentation issues.

Getting rejected sucks, sure, but honestly whenever we’ve brought quality to the marketplace, it has never once been rejected.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
ChrisTERiS says
@allen @groupp
  • The email that I got its 100% a predefinied email. Exact the same (general) text
  • When I asked (for my first script) in which place they’re getting warnings and what type of warnings, nobody replied.
  • I still believe (is just instict) that the first releases from new authors are automated soft rejected. I agree that there is a logic on it. New authors most probably due to lack of experiance are missing some checks.
  • To make the long story short. I’m calling the reviewer to reply in public what was the error(s) that he found. To say why does he think that the manual is lacking. The link for the manual is above in my main post so everybody can check it. By the way. As client I’ve bought around 35 scripts. More than 10 have no documentation at all.
1363 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

@ChrisTERiS – they are human, but with the mass number of items they review, canned messages are necessary to save time. I think the soft rejection you got is just to have you double check everything, not because an issue was found. So just resubmit and let the reviewer know that you went through their notes and double checked everything.

The reviewers don’t have the time to install and test every plugin so this is probably how they ween out some potential issues.

Hope that helps!

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
ChrisTERiS says

Hope that helps!

Yes, it helps. Actually it helps a lot. And this is what my real meaning when I did that post. That due to the lack of time for full reviews, they’re rejecting scripts without a real testing.

Having this in mind I spent lot of time to add comments to reviewer, mostly trying to make understandable that vBulletin coding has different standards. And that I’m following these standards 8 years now that I’m developing addons for vBulletin, having more than 35 major addons. From Classifieds, Auctions, Review, ....even a full Dating.

I also tried to make clear that the addon that I have released was in sales for more than a year. Is not that I coded it yesterday. The only new was the documentation.

But finally nothing helped. The reviewer didn’t read my comments, or didn’t gave trust to me.

Resubmitting the same code (without changes) is prohibited, and I use to follow the terms even if I don’t agree. And of course I’m not a child to modify some files by adding some comments just to increase the filesize.

1363 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

You don’t have to modify your script as it looks like you are just supposed to double check it. My last item was the same way, soft rejected as I had to check a few things, but submitted with a comment saying that I checked them and it was approved. It sounds like you are thinking to hard about it. Just put a comment to the reviewer that you checked for php errors, and whatever else you were asked to “check” and submit. Good luck!

114 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sweden
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
ic0de says

I think, they need to reject some of the submited items, no matter their quaility. Some rejection reasons are absolutely ridiculous.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
ChrisTERiS says

@ic0de I think something like this.

180 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
FWDesign says

I think, they need to reject some of the submited items, no matter their quaility. Some rejection reasons are absolutely ridiculous.

I do not agree, I never had a rejection on codecanyon, the envato team is great at approving products this is why the market is not flooded with low quality or buggy products!

by
by
by
by
by
by