michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
michellerobinson Staff says

Hi everyone, I hope you’ll be happy to know we are working on building items comments search at the moment. I’d been keen to hear what are the top 3 things you would like items comments search to be able to do/achieve? check out this thread for more on state of search:

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/an-update-from-the-search-team/109825

4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
rbriones says

Yeah yeah yeah! finally!

You don’t know how much this will soothe our red puffy eyes.

Thanks Michelle!

michellerobinson
michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
michellerobinson Staff says

Yeah yeah yeah! finally!

You don’t know how much this will soothe our red puffy eyes.

Thanks Michelle!

Hopefully we can help with that – no one needs red puffy eyes :sunglasses: Do you mind telling me whats the worst culprit for this – what are you mostly trawling comments for or what key problems do you need comments search to solve?

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

... Do you mind telling me whats the worst culprit for this – what are you mostly trawling comments for or what key problems do you need comments search to solve?

I’m trying to be polite as I say this because I have no intention of offending you and completely understand that you’re trying to help as well as gather more data to better do your job… but are you kidding with this question? Is that a serious question? To say “Why are you needing to search comments?”, or “What are you searching for in the comments?” These don’t seem very important when the problem, in my opinion, is really obvious… there is no search.

I might be able to answer this for the customer. The problem is there is no search at all and what they’re looking for is responses from the author or questions from other buyers that are similar to their own questions.

Does it matter if they’re trying to find out if it comes in blue or the fix for bug XYZ? People are scrolling through thousands of comments sometimes using their browser’s built in keyword finder. That’s insane. Even a crappy search could rule out hundreds of responses possibly saving hours of wasted time.

The problem, again for anyone still not sure, is we have absolutely no search feature at all for item comments. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t take 2 years and a special team to throw together the most basic of searches. Maybe you need to stop thinking about doing everything “perfect” on the first try and just get something done to start. I can imagine everyone would appreciate results, even if it’s only minimal to begin.

I apologize for anything I said that might have offended or hurt someone’s feelings. I am like many others simply baffled by this situation.

Michelle, you are new and obviously not responsible for this situation as it stands, but took the job with the hot seat and now we’re all looking to you for solutions.

4 posts
rbriones says

I’m sure sure you can help.. a lot. And we’ll be more happy about.

Well, imagine if you have, say, 100-page comments for an item. Imagine the buyer (developer) skimming desperately over that looking for immediate answers/fixes, racing and beating the time. It’s like reading several volumes of novel which you don’t have luxury of timeā€”not funny indeed. Of course, you can create a new post (and possibly its been asked several times before already) but the author is not a bot that’s present all the time.

Perhaps a comment can have a title and attachment(s) also in addition to the text (of course, if you include even basic formatting or basic text editor rather then typing html tags, it would be cool!).

In short, SEARCH = TIME

@Parallelus – well said.

2603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

@Parallelus Hi Andy, not long now until PressNomics! Looking forward to seeing you and other members of our community there. :)

I actually personally invited Michelle over here to the forums to talk to you guys as I think the Marketplace community want MORE conversation with our staff, want MORE knowledge about the status of important projects like Marketplace Search and Item Comment Search, and by the sound of things our community would like MORE involvement with discussion of new features and functionality.

But from a lot of the responses recently I’m seeing some quite rude and unnecessary behavior from some of our brightest and longest-serving community members that I’m really quite disappointed to see. Especially towards brand new staff who are merely here to give something back to the community. Why beat-up on someone who is trying to help?

In light of this observation, I would like to request and remind everyone that quality conversation and discussion is always encouraged and should always be our priority. Let’s not waste a really good opportunity here to work together for the common good.

I want to continue having staff come to the forums and share more with the community, but if more of this negative tone and attitude continues, I could understand if staff told me they no longer wanted to share more info in the forums if all they got was negativity and comments that kill discussion rather than fuel rich engagement. Do we (as a community) really want to lose this great opportunity we have right now?

Let’s take this for what it is: A great opportunity to be part of conversation that will ultimately benefit all our buyers and all our authors. If anyone does not want to be part of this conversation and has nothing constructive to add and would prefer to make unhelpful, sarcastic remarks, then please consider not posting. Otherwise you are in danger of not adding to a good conversation and it might kill the opportunity for others who DO want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Buyers, authors, staff – all our time here is precious. The more time we can spend on getting things done instead of complaining about things is going to benefit our entire community and it’s going to benefit our entire Marketplace.

If anyone hasn’t realized yet, things are starting to move around here at Envato pretty rapidly. This should be something to get excited about without having to dwell on how things might have been in the past.

Let’s get back to Michelle’s invitation. I hope there are others who would like to continue this conversation constructively with her, and if so, the floor is all yours! :)

2088 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

I’m going off-topic with this one, but I have to reply.

But from a lot of the responses recently I’m seeing some quite rude and unnecessary behavior from some of our brightest and longest-serving community members that I’m really quite disappointed to see. Especially towards brand new staff who are merely here to give something back to the community. Why beat-up on someone who is trying to help?
Scott, I have a great respect for you and you of all people should be able to understand why this is happening – you’re here very very long. So are quite few of us, “longest-serving community members”. I’m speaking only for myself, but I’m sure that a bunch of other authors feel the same: I’m not just an author here anymore. I come here day by day, spending HOURS on marketplaces, on forums, in this community – it’s a great part of my life, I devote my time and energy to the community. So of course that after years and years of constant false promises, “communication” with staff we just don’t have faith anymore. We are becoming bitter. That’s the reason for people leaving rather direct, instead of sugar-coated comments lately. And I’m sure that, although they appear rude, they most surely aren’t meant to be rude. But they most surely are not unnecessary wither – Envato HAS to hear us out, to understand our frustration!

If anyone hasn’t realized yet, things are starting to move around here at Envato pretty rapidly. This should be something to get excited about and not dwell on how things might have been in the past.
Although it sounds strange, I do feel a bit excited. I still have some hope reserved… And it’s great that things are starting (btw, only just starting…???) to move around here… But, I’ll celebrate only after I finally see some results myself.

I really hope that this post doesn’t get perceived as rude or unnecessary, it surely isn’t my intention here. I surely wouldn’t still be here if I didn’t have respect towards you people. But Scott, you of all people should be the first to understand our frustration – you yourself shared our enthusiasm when you saw (and shared) previews of new search functionalities. We were all super-excited that we’re going to get them “soon”. Oh, and when was it? Two years ago! As lawyers in cheesy tv-series usually say, “I rest my case” :D

P.S. @michelle – I’m sorry you happened to introduce yourself in such a state of community. We indeed are pleasant most of time, but search improvements is one of the most sensitive topics in our community and you just happened to be the “messenger” that we keep shooting at… Please know that we indeed are happy for you being here – although it definitely isn’t obvious from our response :)

7195 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

@Parallelus your post is a little offensive, you have misunderstood Michelle question. She just asked for suggestions over this future comments search functionality.

But from a lot of the responses recently I’m seeing some quite rude and unnecessary behavior from some of our brightest and longest-serving community members that I’m really quite disappointed to see.

More than certain I’m not falling into the rude behavior classification since I’m not one of the brightest community member. :) fortunately

I suggest to lock this thread, and open a proper, sticky, new thread dedicated to suggestions over this new feature.

and what urbazon said is my opinion also. :)

1723 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

After years of no changes, it’s a little bit hard to expect now for the authors to be patient and expect us to throw up parties because you started working on something., That’s not going to happen and saying that, if we continue writing bad feedback or putting up questions, the staff will no longer post updates on the forum. Seriously? This is not how bad feedback should be handled, and I agree this is not Michelle’s fault, but Envato sent her to handle all this. She probably expected it and in some way, she’s paying for all the faults Envato did in the past because obviously nobody from the staff will EVER admit that they could do better.

I’m pretty surprised that, from the answers I see from the staff most of them think that Envato is actually innovative and with those changes they are doing now, they’re like revolutioning the marketplace. That is soooo far from truth. They are where they are now because of what the marketplaces used to be in the past, when there was like 0 competitors, even when proper search will be added, searchable item comments, commission split, more unique items, etc, etc, they’ll still be ages behind what’s really innovative. Right now Envato only does what they should’ve done 3-4-5 years ago. So, yes, we do have the right to be upset and dissapointed, if you guys can’t handle it, don’t post updates anymore.

You demand quality, innovation, unique items while you fail miserably on applying them on your own website, we’re in 2014 and the marketplaces look like crap on mobile devices or tablets. With CSS media queries, in some hours any front-end dev would make this website look decent on mobile devices, before blaiming us for being harsh, you should check Envato’s experience with authors.

My 2 cents.

2603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

@urbazon @doru @finaldestiny

We hear you. You’ve been repeating the same thing all over the forums on a regular basis which is why it was important I referenced this behavior which is not acceptable. It’s okay to have your say – you’ve had it – but there’s no need to keep repeating it endlessly. It’s killing the conversation we’re wanting here as previously explained. I would really appreciate it if you would refrain from posting the same, negative opinions again anywhere in the forums.

@Doru I actually think that’s a great idea to lock this thread, let’s do that. Meanwhile, I’ll be in touch with some of you soon to talk about this some more.

by
by
by
by
by
by