3970 posts After Effects Templates
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

just a question, how much time it takes for the search to get in account your description after you’ve edited?

As i know it’s instant

711 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
ilovemedia-es says

I tried to find “piano relaxing” on AudioJungle. Page 2, 3, 4 … are songs by the same author and have no relation to search. O_o

http://audiojungle.net/search?page=2&term=piano+relaxing
247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
BetaMotion says

Category:Motions Graphics

October:52 sales November:60 sales December:58 sales January:36 sales February:39 sales MARCH:??? Is this some kind of help to fix the search engine??? Or is this a pure coincidence??? Sorry for bothering. Regards.

632 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Hi Madlep,

Just a quick update on my experience of these changes to the search engine:

• 11 days since I sold my track Digital Distortion. This is a collaboration with my friend nemanja_reMAKE who has also complained about a 60% drop in sales
  • It’s been 8 days since I’ve had a sale according to my dashboard, the longest stretch for almost two years
  • My sales have gone from 53 Sales (Nov 2013) to 39 Sales (Dec 2013) to 28 Sales (Jan 2014) to 25 Sales (Feb 2014)

Hope that information is of use and you can help me diagnose / remedy my steady drop in sales.

Thanks,

Taco

no-thumbnail
accudatamarketing Recent Posts Threads Started
13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
accudatamarketing says

I tried to find “piano relaxing” on AudioJungle. Page 2, 3, 4 … are songs by the same author and have no relation to search. O_o http://audiojungle.net/search?page=2&term=piano+relaxing

Yea, I see what you are saying, and this goes back to duplicate content should be flagged and not be taken into consideration for the search result pages.

Example, I clicked all of the listings on page 1 and I see the same content in the items description fields, along with tags being remotely the same as well.

Mystic sound, suspense, inspiration, intrigue ..

Corporate

Romantic

Orchestra

Latin

Favorites

Solo piano

Relax

Action

Suspense

Dramatic

If I were an author, I could easily exploit the search results pages by just adding in random keywords to the page description. Old trick we use to do back in the mid 90’s to get better rankings.

musiquesynthetique
musiquesynthetique Recent Posts Threads Started
135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
musiquesynthetique says

I’m also curious to know how long it takes changes to go into affect when doing updates to item descriptions and tags.

It’s rather confusing to see the same authors coming up over and over again in searches but somehow never seeing my own items.

Should we believe that it’s possible to work an item up into the search results even if it’s not showing up in any of the 30 pages of results? I’d like to think this is not going to be a wasted effort otherwise these items become essentially worthless if they can’t be found.

Thanks in advance for response!

5220 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I tried to find “piano relaxing” on AudioJungle. Page 2, 3, 4 … are songs by the same author and have no relation to search. O_o http://audiojungle.net/search?page=2&term=piano+relaxing
Mystic sound, suspense, inspiration, intrigue ..

Corporate

Romantic

Orchestra

etc.

Well on the face of it, it looks like links to his collections, but it could be a thinly veiled piece of very successful keyword stuffing.

136 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
TigerModules says

I have a suggestion in where a search field is needed, the Downloads Page. I have over 107 products purchased on Envato’s marketplaces but it is hard to find a particular purchase without having to go page by page.

101 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
randomnoise says

Hi, I just noticed some search-related behaviour that I think might be confusing for buyers:

When I search for any term, the system first shows the “Best Match” results.

When I now move from the first page of the “Best Match” results to any following page – and then sort by sales, I don’t get redirected to the FIRST page of the “Sort by Sales” results. Instead I stay on the page number that I had been on…

How does this make sense regarding usability? When I search through several pages of “Best Match” results and don’t find what I want and therefore want to resort the results for my search term, I’d want to start from page one…!

Am I missing something here? Has it always been like this?

5220 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Another search anomaly?

I’ve been testing some of my items in search and found another problem. – presumably to do with the synonyms again. The reason I’m writing this, is because it’s kind of frustrating to have a retro file in the retro category, with retro in the tags and description that has 850 sales, that only lands on page 4, right next to an older, lower-selling file with no mention of “retro” at all. Is there something I’m missing?

The file in question is Delicious. It’s a retro file. It’s in the category After Effects Project Files / Video Displays / Retro. It has “retro” in its tags and it has “retro” in the description. It has 850 or so sales. It shows up halfway down page 4.

Delicious

Now let’s take the file directly after it in the search results, Colorful Stripes HD. It is also in a category with Retro in the name. Motion Graphics / Transitions / Retro. But that’s where it ends. It doesn’t have “retro” in the title, the tags or the description. On top of this, it has only around 200 sales, a lower star rating than Delicious and is an older file. Why is it at the same rank? I can find no words that could be synonymous with “retro”.

Colorful Stripes

One of the highest hits on page one is Kinetica – a file that is similar to Delicious in many respects. It has similar sales, similar age, it is in a category with Retro in the name and it has retro in the tags. It doesn’t however have retro in the description. Does the fact that the file was featured boost it high?

Kinetica

Or Christmas Landscape. Yes it is relatively new (over 3 months old as I write), but its newness seems to be boosting it far too high, because it doesn’t mention the word “retro” in the title, nor does it mention it in the tags or description. Nor does there appear to be any synonyms for “retro” anywhere. Why is it on page 2 of the search results? This isn’t even a retro file. What’s boosting it so high?

Christmas Landscape

What about Indie Leak Transitions? Category is Motion Graphics / Transitions / Retro, no description at all (just an image), “retro” is however in tags, as is “vintage”. Sales 149. Uploaded about 16 months ago.

Indie Leak Transitions

I wonder if you’re searching the category somehow as a string, so Motion Graphics / Backgrounds / Retro ranks much higher than After Effects Project Files / Video Displays / Retro and concluding that the first has a higher density of the word “retro” because the rest of the category string is shorter?

Also, is a combination of the over-favouring of the category with synonym search problems and over boosted newness, throwing new results far too high up the charts, resulting in loads of new files ranking high in the “retro” charts that have little or no mention of retro at all… neither in the tags, nor in the title, nor in the description.

Is there a kind of double counting going on? In the Indie Leak Transitions file, there’s the word “retro” and the word “vintage” amongst the tags. Here, the user has himself used a synonym in the tags. Presumably, then, that’s two “retros” out of 15 in the tags, or maybe each is being counted twice – hence the big boost. If I created a file that I definitively wanted to appear high up in the retro category, could I just get my thesaurus out and pop in a handful of “retro” synonyms?

Or is there something else going on? Are you already managing to log successful user searches from the past and search on those as well, which means some files are getting boosted for reasons that aren’t immediately apparent to the user?

By the way, is the sales boosting fixed for the other marketplaces yet, or are we still working with Themeforest figures? The “retro” search is throwing up pretty much entirely new files on page 1. I do understand the need to boost new files, and I’m cool with the idea that this will displace other files. It’s good for me too when I release a new file. However, it currently doesn’t seem right that a general Best Match should feature almost exclusively new files at the top of the charts, and thereby displace stuff that’s far more relevant in terms of tags, descriptions, sales and so on.

The balance of search still needs a lot of calibrating.

by
by
by
by
by
by