• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

This is the grand unified forum thread for all things search related!

There are a bunch of search threads going on across various marketplace forums, and it’s hard to tie all the information together to make sure that we see, and act on all the feedback you folk are posting.

So posting again here:

We need marketplace specific search filters that helps deeper results. For example after keyword search, we need check boxes that helps filtering the result based on technical aspects of item. For a reason, I won’t point again what are the exact technical aspects each marketplace / category requires. It is more of a research work to be done by staff themselves who are more familiar with the items / categories / marketplace.

In case the above part being already on work, please inform – that would be great!

@KingDog, is it possible for you to post here the entire list of search related suggestions made on various threads in the past few years? I guess it would save lot of time for everyone and would be very helpful.

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

We need marketplace specific search filters that helps deeper results. For example after keyword search, we need check boxes that helps filtering the result based on technical aspects of item. For a reason, I won’t point again what are the exact technical aspects each marketplace / category requires. It is more of a research work to be done by staff themselves who are more familiar with the items / categories / marketplace.

In case the above part being already on work, please inform – that would be great!

@KingDog, is it possible for you to post here the entire list of search related suggestions made on various threads in the past few years? I guess it would save lot of time for everyone and would be very helpful.

Yeah, this is being worked on :) Still early stage, so nothing to show yet.

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

Just deployed a couple of fixes:

• Don’t search through misc fields on an item to match it. Search terms matched in demo URL for example were causing irrelevant items to be returned.
  • When sorting by sales/price/rating etc, apply secondary sort using the search relevancy score. This won’t really fix the problems with sales sort, as 2 items need to have exact same number of sales for the secondary sort to have an effect, but this brings in scores to be used in the near future for fixing the problem properly.
1603 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says
Relevance in a decreasing importance should be:
  • tag(because tags are limited to 15 and author has to have a really good through out thought before sumbitting item, so tag should be the biggest boost in relevance).
  • Description ( into the description authors write all the summary about item in more details, technical aspects, information about usability, items advantages)
  • Rating ( this should be high enough)
  • Item title (this one is really not so important sometimes because many authors tend to pick creative names which would just sound good like BlacKnight; Ultima; Vertical world.. and so on. So it is really wrong thing to make the highest boost depended on item title. If i would search for some soda drink in the world food market it shouldnt give me all the drinks with word “soda” in the name, it should give me cocacola sprite fanta mountain dew. And when i am searching for some holidays in mountains it shouldnt give me mountain dew as top match. Forget the items name. Its least relevant in videohive.
  • Date of upload ( in example: two items of same tags same descriptions should be sorted newer at first older second)
  • Sales ( this one gets attention when items are sorted by sales)
  • Category (only comes as a bonus if tag or description matches)
Main thing: Separate the searche for every marketplace. As I now understand the same laws applies to all marketplaces and same search is used across all items. This is very very very very wrong. You cannot make the same search work for themeforest and grapgic river and videohive. Each marketplace has its own need and numbers.
1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

Just deployed a couple of fixes:
  • Don’t search through misc fields on an item to match it. Search terms matched in demo URL for example were causing irrelevant items to be returned.
  • When sorting by sales/price/rating etc, apply secondary sort using the search relevancy score. This won’t really fix the problems with sales sort, as 2 items need to have exact same number of sales for the secondary sort to have an effect, but this brings in scores to be used in the near future for fixing the problem properly.

Just checked “CCBill” and it only shows the two relevant matches now. Nice job!

1603 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

The old search four months ago worked perfectly. All the boosts and relevance were really balanced. I would suggest just reverse engineer the old search. Take a look how and what made impact and importance to items in the old search and do the same as it was. Trying to invent a bycicle is a waste of time… and unfortunetly for us authors this time costs money. Already loosing 30% to 40% of whole monthly amount i should be earning and just because of search change.

Search is really important to us and its drasticaly changed many authors are in shock.

7200 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

just searching on forum is a nightmare, imagine trying to read thousands of post trying to find suggestions that apply to the search system. :D I think KingDog has a life, doesn’t want to go into the mountains and lose years to find these suggestions.

1367 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

As I stated search in this manor, is good just for one thing that is direct search for an item (and that if you know the name), for everything else is utterly useless almost impossible to find anything relevant to ones needs. I guess this is a no no post but never the less I see you mentioned that filtering system is being worked on, hope that’s a major build if it is I think it will make a significant improvement and more fare sale distribution.

Cheers

497 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Italy
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
bosone says
things seems better than some week ago. at least now i’m selling somthing! :)

a quick suggestion: it’s absolutely mandatory to implement some way to EXCLUDE keywords from searches. it’s surprising that there is no way to search, for example, for corporate tracks which does NOT include ukulele in the tags.

401 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
nemanja_reMAKE says

I have 60% drop in sales in compared to December and 50% in compare to months before December. So yes I blame search engine, cause only thing I sell now…SOMETIMES is my old templates I made years ago that was popular then.

by
by
by
by
by
by