150 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
sunchannelmusic says

Sunchannel yes it is. We dont have separate searches.

Cool. Thanks, cyzer.

1050 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Hi, don’t know if this is an issue, but I have a song called “Epic pop” if I type in “huge pop” or any word related to the word big, grand, etc, the results aren’t near close to show any song with that name…

Regards Rodrigo

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
madlep Envato team says

If anything, there could be more search weight to “user rating” instead of just “item rating”. I have about 100 items, 15 ratings, but only 2 of those items are showing the ratings. So sorting by item rating only helps items already selling. Maybe this is a catch 22 but making use of “user rating” in one way or another would be useful I think. I generally find that a high rated user continually produces new high quality tracks, so sorting by user rating somehow would make sense, at least to me. It would be especially important the days (day) following a track approval, when you have 0 item sales, 0 item ratings, and just a short window of opportunity of people finding the item before it’s gone forever.

Yup. We’re working on bringing in that kind of extra related data for search right now.

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
madlep Envato team says

Hey Madlep, thanks for all your work. Are these bug fixes also being implemented across all marketplaces including AJ?

Yup. There is one code base that runs search across all the sites. In general changes are global unless we specifically implement them to only apply to one place.

288 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themeflame says

madlep, hi!

Check your mail – sent you a more “hands-on” input which may help!

Thanks for the hard work so far, guys.

All the best, themeflame

1622 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

Great for established authors with a strong portfolio with existing old sales, but not great for anyone else – especially new authors trying to break in. The old way was not sustainable, and would not have helped the marketplace sites in the long run at all. Either for authors or buyers.

Ok so what’s the point then to be an established author? Whats the point in having a strong portfolio ? Isn’t that how the marketplace should work ? That high quality items should be popular ? Why try hard then ? why create high quality items if high quality doesn’t mean good sales ?

Madlep so you say that the successful items is no longer to be found – no longer of bigger importance? I mean yes there is the “Week’s Top Sellers”, and that’s it. How would anyone find a successful items in the search theme that they are searching for? If the item is not boosted because of being bought. What I see now is pure relevance on the items title and category.

I mean the search was changed and was being tried to fix but nothing is finished and i don’t understand what is going to be done when it is fully finished – what is the goal(??).

Right now no items can have creative minimal title because it just will be found at the end pages of search results. All what is now depending is the items title and some synonyms.

We need to know how the search works and what is important in the search – how is the product found. This is business – I need to plan strategy and to research the market, to know what kind of product to create and how to introduce it to the market.

Could anyone tell how is the search supposed to work at the end. Because now it’s hard to introduce and strategically plan new items.

6028 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Great for established authors with a strong portfolio with existing old sales, but not great for anyone else – especially new authors trying to break in. The old way was not sustainable, and would not have helped the marketplace sites in the long run at all. Either for authors or buyers.
Ok so what’s the point then to be an established author? Whats the point in having a strong portfolio ? Isn’t that how the marketplace should work ? That high quality items should be popular ? Why try hard then ? why create high quality items if high quality doesn’t mean good sales ?

@cyzer, In that post, staff mentioned that “Search as of four months ago basically just boosted by total sales. It was pretty naive”. If you look the entire comment from that context, the point mentioned by madlep (regarding established authors / portfolio) is fine.

It is not about just “total sales” but balancing all the other criteria.

We need to know how the search works and what is important in the search – how is the product found. This is business – I need to plan strategy and to research the market, to know what kind of product to create and how to introduce it to the market.

I think our business (as authors) can’t be based on our understanding about search system. To the contrary, we have to follow the best practices on title, description, tags etc. Complaining the search for not having relevancy is fine but complaining it because it doesn’t gives us “clue” isn’t fair.

594 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
tacoMusic says

The search changes have rebalanced what gets exposed, and when new items move up for popular search terms, other items have to move down. Not everything can be in 1st place forever. I can understand that this sucks if you’ve been getting consistent good sales for a while off an existing body of work, and suddenly it changes. Unfortunately, the scales were tipped too far favouring a smaller group of authors for too long, and it hurts a bit when we need to rebalance it.

Hi madlep,

I’m trying to get my head around the best strategy for authors now in terms of keeping sales consistent. Over at AJ we’ve always been told that success on the marketplaces is about treating it as a ‘marathon’ rather than a ‘sprint’ and therefore investing a lot of time in the quality of items over churning them out regularly.

If items have a shelf-life / honeymoon period during which they have exposure and a chance to sell, yet don’t sell for one reason or another (not appearing in search results is a pretty important one), then it sounds like the model has now moved to one where regular uploading AND deleting of older tracks is the only way to keep sales consistent.

I know you can’t give away inside secrets on how to be successful here as it could lead to abuse of the system, but trying to survive off sales here is becoming increasingly difficult since the end of last year, so some basic advice on how to stay afloat would be greatly appreciated by a lot of us I think. Maybe a new sticky thread with that advice, like this one but for good practice within Envato?

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/ways-to-promote-your-audiojungle-music/55643

We’re in the dark as to how to tag and describe our items at the moment which means I might as well put in ‘uplifting banana’ to appear under ‘corporate motivational’ results which, I would have thought, would ‘pollute’ the search system in the long-run.

Appreciate all the communication you’ve provided so far, it’s good to have a voice from Envato providing updates on this.

Taco

773 posts
  • Located in Hungary
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
aron66 says

I can’t describe how much I love the search system. :) \\

1622 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

Quoted from another thread

It is going to stay this way. Since the search engine doesnt boost the item because of the sales. Now it wount matter if your item is successful. All items are found in the same manner.

Madlep mentioned in the other thread that sales boosting is set across all marketplaces for a Themeforest level of sales. That’s why it’s not working for Videohive at the moment.

The devs are planning to change this. I just wish they’d hurry up.

And I sometimes wish that changes wouldn’t be made to Envato as though Themeforest were the only marketplace. Sure, it’s financially way more successful than the others, but still.

Madlep can you please , just little please ( :) ) Hurry with that level boost decreasing for videohive ( we need to pay bills :) ) ?

by
by
by
by
by
by