21 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
1006_TECH says

Hiya Folks,

Its just came to my attention that people have be posting double things.

Ive read the Terms of Purchase here at Envato and noticed that people are selling other peoples artwork / website designs at the Theme Forest website which i think is truly unprofessional.

Here are 2 classic examples :

Created 29th September 2009 : *edit

Created 15th December 2009 : *edit

Do people honestly think that this developer actually paid the $500 extended license? Im not sure about the marketplace now and its made me think about actually selling stuff here on an exclusive basis.

Give me your thoughts.

Dom

P.S – I have submitted the classic examples to the Theme Forest Team.

380 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
celtathemes says

I think that the original designer created a new account and uploaded the HTML version of the template.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hi Dom,

You might’ve missed an important piece of information here. One is the HTML version of the PSD template. Yes, they are from different authors but what you aren’t aware of (behind the scenes) is that the author of the PSD has teamed up with another author to convert the PSD into the functional HTML /CSS version of the template.

So don’t worry, nothing against the rules is going on here, it just seems a bit misleading. ;-)

Also, please do not post links to other author’s items in the forums. Please see the Forum Rules for more information. In the future, please direct these concerns to the support staff or marketplace manager and exclude the forum post.

1175 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
mabuc says

The one file is from PSD Templates category and the other one is from Site Templates category and yes this is allowed here in ThemeForest…. I’m sure this two authors mentioned here are team or only one author with 2 different account :)

73 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
cdutson says

- Removed my own note given my edit below -

EDIT : Thanks for clarifying that mabuc / jremic. It still seems rather strange that they would be submitting them multiple times. Why would they post them under different accounts if they were the same person.

I guess if they are two authors then splitting them makes sense.

21 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
1006_TECH says

But surely from the amount of sales from the PSD design which are publicly viewable that it wouldnt hurt to post a HTML version of it to entice people who have the PSD who cant code with alot of us cannot then again i must be mistaken.

Its just a weird theory but to maximize my sales i would want to update my current customer base with an update to an existing product.

Also for copyright if something does go wrong who has the rights. The person who made the actual design or the person who is selling the HTML design.

Its just really confusing that its happening. I hope a member of Envato staff can clarify this.

Dom

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hey Dom,

I don’t quite follow the first part of what you said. The way authors market their files is up to them, however strange it may seem (as long as they abide by Envato’s policy).

In regards to copyright, I believe the account holder who’s uploaded the item has the rights as far as ThemeForest is concerned. Whatever authors have worked out between themselves is between them. For a precise answer to this question, it would be best that you contact the support staff or the site manager.

I hope this helps! :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by