• Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Hey guys, can you help me out?

I’m no expert when it comes to audio gear. In fact the whole audio thing is still rather new to me and I’m learning a lot. But I’m more of an expert with drum gear… I know my limits, so I need your help.

I have a budget around $400 (could possibly go to $500). What advice could you give me for new studio monitors at that range? I’m afraid I would be compromising my low-end frequencies at that price point. Would it be better to hold off until my budget is around $1000 or so?

I found this deal – Two KRK Rokit 8’s WITH stands and free shipping for $500 ($250 each):
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KRK-RP8G2-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CMTVhJDe_rQCFckWMgodR0oAmQ

Good idea? Bad idea? I have a close friend who is a producer at Sweetwater Studios who suggested I save up for the KRK VXT6’s and the 10” KRK sub. All together that would be about $1,300. Worth the wait?

What do you recommend? Any advice is welcome! Thank you! :)

Phil

575 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I have learned to just buy the exact set up I want, cause I just end up wasting money later when I sell used to get the thing I really wanted in the first place. Even though sometimes it might be overkill for what we need, mentally it feels better.

I think you would be just fine with the 8’s and a sub if it can be added.

I got KRK Rokit 6’s and I love them, although I don’t have much to compare them to, they have been my first and only studio monitors. I see more and more KRK monitors in peoples studio pictures all the time, they seem to be taking over the lower budget studio world.

365 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

I am also using KRK Rokit 8s. Before I bought them I was choosing between KRKs Rokit and Adam7, both I new from forums, reviews etc. that they are very good monitors for its price.

Finaly I took KRKs and I am glad I did. I had M-Audio monitors before that, and KRKs are much more clear and better sounding.

Hope it helps a bit :)

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

How large is your room and do you have any treatment in the room? If none, I wouldn’t suggest getting larger monitors and especially not a sub. You’ll turn that room into a giant bass bin and your projects will suffer from a lack of low end. Definitely get some treatment in the room and buy some monitors after you’ve done that. Head over to gearslutz and check out their studio building forum, they’ll be happy to help you get started. You can also check out John Sayer’s forum. It’s dedicated to such things.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know. But getting that bit squared away is extremely important.

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
JasonGraham says

I too have KRK Rokit 6’s like Sophonic and love them. They sound great! But also like Sophonic, they were my first real monitors. I do have to add a sub though, because when mastering I always have to test my recordings on other systems with more bass response to make sure I don’t have too much low end (that’s a good idea anyway…to test on other systems). But the 8’s probably have a bit more bass response than the 6’s.

817 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Thanks for the replies, guys!

@Sophonic and @Zdenek, Do you guys have the sub with your monitors? Do you think it’s worth investing in the sub? Some reviews I’ve read is the the 8’s do have pretty good low-end already.

@Buddha, Thanks for the good info. I have foam to put on the walls and a rug to cover the wood floor. It’s a rather small room tho. It’s about 6.5 feet by 9 feet. It’s this too small to even consider a sub in the first place?

Thanks again, guys!

817 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Thanks for the info as well Jason. This is all very helpful!

598 posts Keeping the Groove Alive
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+3 more
guitarsstate says

It’s a great deal! Just take them! They are the best in this price range. I’m with Rokit 5’s btw :)

575 posts
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Sophonic says

I don’t think subs are that necessary, I don’t have them. I think for stock audio and in your style of writing you really need them. I think the 8’s will be enough bass for you. Maybe if you start writing hip hop club bangers or something.

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

I would go for a Adam monitor (Like the A7). I use Adams and love them. OR try the Dynaudio Acoustics BM 5A’s. They are nice as well. You can always get the speakers and add the sub woofer later.

by
by
by
by
by
by