• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

Hey Phil,

I’ll echo a few people and say that KRKs are a good value if you’re planning on sticking with that price range. Also I agree that 5-7” speakers might be more appropriate for the room, although you never know if you might need to upgrade that as well.

Thought I’d mention that if you hold off and save up for a bit you could get yourself up to another level, e.g. the aforementioned Adam A5x/A7x, Focal CMS 50/65, or Neumann KH120s, all coming in at around $1500 /pr retail but you might be able to get them for less. I did a bit of research a year or so back and narrowed it down to these three (albeit based on oodles of reviews than my own ears, as I didn’t have access to listen to 2 of the 3).

Here is an artifact of that journey, BTW. There are some other monitor suggestions in there as well that aren’t quite as spendy. In case you don’t read all the way to the end, I ended up with the Neumanns (and I think they’re absolutely great – now I just need to improve my ears…).

And, to save you a bunch of suspense from the cliffhanger at the end, I did purchase the mopads soon after and recommend them not only for the isolation but because they have options for angling the speakers for optimum listening.

1929 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
gballx says

Genelec anyone?

128 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SoundWavesMusic says

Hi, The most honest thing that I can say is: If You work in a small room (like most of us) then stay away from the big monitors with 8’’ drivers or bigger. I think that You should get some good 5’’ monitors because the bigger monitors need more room to operate the right way. Even the professional acoustic treatment doesn’t help much. I work on Mackie MR8 and Yamaha HS50. Don’t get me wrong, the Mackies are great monitors but they are just to big for my room (which is about 15 m2) and it’s very hard to get a mix that will sound right on other speakers too. You always get too much low end and because of that the mid and hi frequencies suffer. That is why I always work on the little Yamahas. Yes, you will not get bass like the one from the 8”, but the much more important mid and hi frequencies are there and they sound excellent. That is why all the mixing and mastering done on the Yamahas sound great everywhere. You just need to get to know your monitors. If You consider getting 5’’ pro monitors that sound natural, then all I can say is go for the Yamaha HS50. That is what I would do. The KRK’s are very nice but they are just too colored.

Cheers

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
+6 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Reviewer says

Not to mention that the HS50s have built in filters so that you can adjust your monitors to the frequency response of your room. This is what I use combined with a good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 25-1 II), although I wish I could afford the HS80 for better bass response…
And yes @gballx, definitely Genelec, but that’s a whole different budget!

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
backgroundmusic says

Hi there, I think that with the size of your room, adding subs will bring only more confusion in low frequencies. I personally use for nearfield monitoring Dynaudio BM6, and they are pretty decent in low frequencies. I worked with Adam a7x, KRK vxt6 and PMC TB series. PMC is an excellent monitor, but little out of your considered price range. Dynaudio BM series, Adam AX series and KRK VXT series are my honest recommendation for your current needs. I just think that you should not go over 7 inch in bass for room of that size.

365 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
musicguy says

@Sophonic and @Zdenek, Do you guys have the sub with your monitors? Do you think it’s worth investing in the sub? Some reviews I’ve read is the the 8’s do have pretty good low-end already.

No I dont have the sub. I think as most of the guys here that subwoofer is not needed at all, especialy for 8’s. It will only oversaturate the lows and as you said Phil, the 8’s really have strong low-end already.

by
by
by
by
by
by