• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+3 more
ShermanJackson says

Are you a self taught designer or did you go to Art school???

I am a self taught designer. Unfortunately, in India we dont have good design colleges/schools or learning centres.

703 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
EliIsakov says

Started at the age of 12 :P….....then at the age of 18 I went to Web-Design in College…still in the course…graduating next year :)...but I like doing Graphic Designs, Photo Editing, more :P

523 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Denmark
+5 more
Zeplix says

A bit of a mix I suppose?

I am self-taught in pretty much all the software, and started messing around with photo manipulation when I was around 13/14’ish. Then went to Business School, wasn’t for me, got tutoring under a painter, then got into The Danish Design School at 24 or something like that, where I took my Bachelors in Visual Communication, and I’m now taking my Masters at The Royal Danish Art Academy.

Have I learned a whole lot in school? Yes and no. It’s definitely helped me view the industry different, give me the right vocabulary to communicate with other designers, connect with other designers, design theory, and given me good projects to work on. What I still just taught myself, is actually doing the design.

The main benefit, for me, for having a Uni’ degree, is that a Masters opens up the possibility of teaching at a Uni’ later in life, and putting “A Masters in Visual Communication from the Royal Danish Art Academy” goes a long way in countries like the US and Japan, where papers matters a lot, and it gives a bonus in Denmark where the school is renowned for being hard to get into (1 in 13 applicants).

Still though… could I have achieved a lot of this by just working instead? Possibly, but only if I could have found a job that gave those opportunities.

As a friend of the family once said, who runs a fairly large company in Denmark, “If I’m presented with two people, who have the same portfolios, but one has a University degree, and the other doesn’t, I’m going to choose the one with the University degree.”

139 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United Kingdom
Norseland says

Self taught :grin:

243 posts I wield art like a gun, but I aim to please you
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
SeraphimChris says

Self taught with some bits of knowledge given from my Bros that did go to school for it. Been doing art my whole life though. My Elementary School Art Teacher told me that I should become a Graphic Designer. :-)

905 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • South Africa
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
joiaco says

They told me (in the olden days) that i would ‘never make it’ in art, so i did a secretarial course (got a job, got fired for booking my boss on a plane to the wrong destination), did waitressing (got fired for sculpting the banana splits), got married, got fired from that too, and eventually came back to art 20 years ago. So i am totally self-taught even in Photoshop and Illustrator in the last year or so. I should never have listened to ‘them’.

202 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
JeromeCollinge says

I’m self-taught, been using Photoshop since around the age of 13-14 then stopped and got back into it a little after high school finished. Never went to a college to learn, thought about it but not sure, I’ll see what the future holds for me :)

1113 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bangladesh
WonderArt says

Self taught :)

same in here ShermanJackson :( and I didn’t get any support to admit in any graphics school or training :( All I do was trying and trying.. :)

99 posts
  • Bangladesh
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
badhon says

Self taught ;) I am also trying to learn something better!

1837 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
ShermanJackson says

They told me (in the olden days) that i would ‘never make it’ in art, so i did a secretarial course (got a job, got fired for booking my boss on a plane to the wrong destination), did waitressing (got fired for sculpting the banana splits), got married, got fired from that too, and eventually came back to art 20 years ago. So i am totally self-taught even in Photoshop and Illustrator in the last year or so. I should never have listened to ‘them’.

You are great at what you do :)

by
by
by
by
by
by