• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
matsteiner says

I’m curious how many of you are autodidact musicians and how many studied their instrument(s) in a music school / university etc…?
As i was about 8 years old my parents sent me in a music school to properly learn how to play the electronic organ, but i already played everything i heard… so every time the teacher wanted to practice a new song with me, i asked her to play it first, then i played it – teh way i remembered it to hear. But if she asked me something, pointing with the finger at the score sheet, why i didn’t play a specific note not exactly like this, i couldn’t answer, because i was too lazy to learn reading the notes….:)
After about 6 month I (or she? :) ) gave up. Then i learned all by myself, played everything i knew and heard in the radio, later i bougth my first Synth (brand new Korg M1) and a Atari and started to record & arrange songs for all kind of companies, singers, etc…, played in several bands the keys (most of all piano & hammond) and later i started to run my own studio….
` What a bout you?

2715 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+3 more
DanielKeller says

I’m self-educated aswell! I started out because of a friend which was producing for fun, and I showed him this place which was called flashden back then.. and he showed me how he produces music so I started too, with a little help I knew the basics and started watching video tutorials, well I’m lucky that there’s youtube and since I’m using FL, I’m also glad that image-line keeps uploading videos on how to do certain things… so you can pretty much learn everything from there! I still watch videos on their channel today!

and I also like FutureMusic Magazine on youtube, they do interviews with big musicians and show how they work in the studio and how they work with the DAW they’re using, so for me it’s nice to see how producers like Afrojack, Avicii, Madeon or Deadmau5 work, since they’re using FL like me, I learn a lot from that too > http://www.youtube.com/user/FutureMusicMagazine

if you’re an self-educated musician, you definetely have to have some sort of motivation and enthusiasm to keep on learning new stuff! at least for me.

817 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Kurlykovs says

Self taught too got my self a guitar and started playing and watching video tapes of Nirvana and Metallica :D and yes video tapes. there were no youtube back than :D but now i am learning the Daws and all the aspects of them by my self again :S. Have a lot of ideas to record just cant put them together in one piece. Either the sound is too quite on one track or the CPU is giving out and giving me the cranky sounds or the buffer is too small. So anyway got the skill on guitar but got none in my DAW :D

182 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
SwanSong says

Self educated too. :) I was a singer in ethno group and we used to practice by hearing, and latter that remained for composing. And my slogan is: while I work I learn. Here is also good atmosphere and there/here are people willing to help and give advice. :)

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
neyus says

Yep I can say I’m the same. I started with drums and eventually i’ll mess around with piano and other instruments back in the early year of 2000. I also listened to a lot of music by that I mean I try to dissect the music and hear what sound or instrument is being used. That and I pay attention to music arrangement etc.

565 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Waderman says

Hi,

it all started with the music as I was 6 years old and got involutarily lessions in playing piano. After a switch of teacher with the age of 8 years, I discovered the Boogie Woogie. The Juno 60 was my first Synthesizer. After that an Ensonique VFX Synthesizer, a Prophet 2000 Sampler followed up and a Roland TR808 drum machine.

One day the my musical ideas stopped, not a bit of inspiration and selfmade music. So I decided to bunlde up and put everything to the garret. After 20 years of musical abstinence, I found the time to compose again. The range of options is very wide due to the actual computer technology and VST Plug-Ins.

How I love my piano VSTs ;-) – especially the free ones – CV Piano and Jazz Baby

Dirk

376 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BigBouncyBright says

I started playing guitar when I was 14. I played Nirvana’s songs :D That was all of my primary education :) Then I learned and played different kind of music, all that I heard. I think – notes are dull, and that the real musician shouldn’t have music education necessarily. Ears and experience is our main weapon :)

806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Art-of-Sound says

While those with formal musical education might have certain advantages over autodidacts, they usually have a difficulty to think out of the box. They might be excellent executives, but often their musical knowledge becomes a prison for their creativity. Innovations and originality usually belong to autodidacts who play by hearing. So, I’m proud to be a self-taught multi-instrumentalist.

763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
StudioEtude says

I started playing the piano at age 6, at the same time my parents sent me to a music school in 14 I finished it in 17 entered the Conservatory, 22 completed study, but all my life I play by ear, the notes do not use it already many years. Education course at the conservatory provides a base of knowledge, but in the life had to play the music that never taught (I have 12 years of playing at weddings, restaurants, 20 years I playing with many teams), and a gypsy music, oriental music, I learned to play myself. I can play whatever I hear, in any style)

123 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sweden
just-in-case says

Self educated since birth =)

by
by
by
by