2568 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+16 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Hey guys,

As you might know, there have been reports of Authors making purchases of their own items. This is not something we allow and it’s made clear by a warning that is issued whenever you try to purchase one of your own items.

Here are a few major points we’d like to address:

1) We want to make it clear that it is not permitted to purchase your own items to ramp up sales and ratings. When you purchase your own Items via multiple accounts it leaves traces. We are aware of this practice and even if you have not been warned, we are investigating the issue across our Marketplaces.

2) We want all items to be fairly represented to both buyers and the general Community! We believe that the practice of purchasing your own items numerous times is unfair towards fellow Marketplace authors. After the investigation is complete, the consequences can range from a one-time warning, to account disablement in case of repeat offenders. We are big advocates of fair competition, and really believe that it is for the best of all in the end, to have a fair chance at it :)

3) If you suspect there might be any actual issues with the purchasing system you should simply contact Support and we can assist. Taking matters into your own hands in this case is counter-productive, as you’re breaking the rules in the hopes of verifying an issue that we should be creating a fix for.

4) You do not have to purchase a license to your own files if you intend on using the item in question for your own clients outside of our Marketplaces. This is covered in the Licensing FAQ’s which can be found here: http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq (Particularly under “Author licensing FAQ”)

We just wanted to make sure that this information is clear, and that no future misunderstandings can get in the way. If you have any questions, or suggestions with regards to possible scenarios that might genuinely require the ability to purchase your own item, please ask, and we will be more than happy to clarify.

920 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
djjeep says

Hey guys,... After the investigation is complete, the consequences can range from a one-time warning, to account disablement in case of repeat offenders. We are big advocates of fair competition, and really believe that it is for the best of all in the end, to have a fair chance at it :)

+1

\\

110 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Ukraine
Igorek89 says

Hey guys,

As you might know, there have been reports of Authors making purchases of their own items. This is not something we allow and it’s made clear by a warning that is issued whenever you try to purchase one of your own items.

Here are a few major points we’d like to address:

1) We want to make it clear that it is not permitted to purchase your own items to ramp up sales and ratings. When you purchase your own Items via multiple accounts it leaves traces. We are aware of this practice and even if you have not been warned, we are investigating the issue across our Marketplaces.

2) We want all items to be fairly represented to both buyers and the general Community! We believe that the practice of purchasing your own items numerous times is unfair towards fellow Marketplace authors. After the investigation is complete, the consequences can range from a one-time warning, to account disablement in case of repeat offenders. We are big advocates of fair competition, and really believe that it is for the best of all in the end, to have a fair chance at it :)

3) If you suspect there might be any actual issues with the purchasing system you should simply contact Support and we can assist. Taking matters into your own hands in this case is counter-productive, as you’re breaking the rules in the hopes of verifying an issue that we should be creating a fix for.

4) You do not have to purchase a license to your own files if you intend on using the item in question for your own clients outside of our Marketplaces. This is covered in the Licensing FAQ’s which can be found here: http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq (Particularly under “Author licensing FAQ”)

We just wanted to make sure that this information is clear, and that no future misunderstandings can get in the way. If you have any questions, or suggestions with regards to possible scenarios that might genuinely require the ability to purchase your own item, please ask, and we will be more than happy to clarify.

Justice is the key to success in any business! Completely agree with you! ENVATO your are THE BEST! :)

148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
loveetc says

2024 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+8 more
revaxarts says

Ok great. I’ve bought a few of my items for clients but now you say I’m not allowed to do this? I can use it for free but I cannot charge my client? Basically I can give away my files to anyone (calling them “client”) for free?

Than I charge $ x,—for implementation and bypass the whole exclusive rule. (I’m not going to this btw just an idea)

My items rely on the purchasecode. How do I get one without purchasing?

565 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Coriiander says

+1

412 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
mitdralla says

205 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
Leupsi says

What a speech!

But honestly, thank’s for these great information! Didn’t know about this (like revaxarts) too:

4) You do not have to purchase a license to your own files if you intend on using the item in question for your own clients outside of our Marketplaces.
148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
CipheredDesigns says

Ok great. I’ve bought a few of my items for clients but now you say I’m not allowed to do this? I can use it for free but I cannot charge my client? Basically I can give away my files to anyone (calling them “client”) for free?

Than I charge $ x,—for implementation and bypass the whole exclusive rule. (I’m not going to this btw just an idea)

My items rely on the purchasecode. How do I get one without purchasing?

Well said my friend, well said..

1049 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Hey guys,...

:)

After the investigation is complete, the consequences can range from a one-time warning, to account disablement in case of repeat offenders. We are big advocates of fair competition, and really believe that it is for the best of all in the end, to have a fair chance at it :)

+1

\\
by
by
by
by
by
by