Selling Exclusively or Non-Exclusively (per item) and Regular License or Extended License

370 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

We are selling exclusively on Codecanyon and this means that ALL our items has to be sold under the exclusive agreement. We have also chosen to sell our items under Extended License and this means ALL our items must be sold with the Extended License available. :|

I think it could be a good idea if it was possible to choose whether an item should be sold Exclusively or Non-Exclusively as well as with the Regular License or the Extended License.

As it is now I have to choose the same deal for ALL my items, which is not always the best fit!

Imagine that it would be possible to choose this per item. Greater flexibility for the Authors. Of course this would require additional programming of the commission system, but that is not an impossible task! ;)

What do you think about this?

Is this something you would use?

678 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
BoostShock says

I also thought this would be a great idea and I would love to see this feature.

3446 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I think that allowing opt-in for the extended license on a per-item basis is a great idea, and makes a lot of sense. (Pretty sure it was discussed before and maybe even got a reaction from Jeffrey… I may be misremembering, though).

Regarding exclusivity, while that option would be nice, I think it adds unneeded complexity to the system. Non-exclusive item revenue would have to be excluded when calculating exclusive-based commission rates, in addition to just calculating commissions differently for each item. It’d be a nice feature to add if the system is ever overhauled, but I’m not sure this is as critical.

In short, the license is really relevant to a particular item, and should be determined on a per-item basis; the exclusivity is really relevant to an account “Exclusive Author” – not “Exclusive Item” – so it makes sense to me that that would be an account-wide setting. Still, switching exclusivity to refer to items rather than authors would have its benefits I suppose :)

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

I would definitely love to see this.

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

Sounds great, although in regards to the Extended license, only the REALLY honest folk out there are going to buy it. 99% of people will just reuse your stuff, without credit or whatever.

@Mordauk, congrats on Gold paw!

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says
quickandeasy said
@Mordauk, congrats on Gold paw!

Thanks! It’s good to be gold :D

360 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
Philo01 Envato team says
3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

I also wonder this feature. I’ve had to disable the extended license over all my portfolio (even when i’ve got some ext. licensed on AD items over the time) just because i think the extended license prices here on CodeCanyon (i realised when i released my first file here) are (let’s be polite) ridiculous.

409 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
joesacco says

RightHere Thumbs up for this feature. Would be great.

quickandeasy And this is another great reason why we should have the right to know where our songs are being used. That way we can at least have some sort of idea whether it is being purchased fairly or not. Some good points here.

370 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
RightHere says
quickandeasy said
Sounds great, although in regards to the Extended license, only the REALLY honest folk out there are going to buy it. 99% of people will just reuse your stuff, without credit or whatever. @Mordauk, congrats on Gold paw!

I do hear what you say, however we actually sell quite few Extended Licenses. I think it also depends on what type of item you are creating.

Of course there are also a lot of people that just buy one license :S

by
by
by
by
by
by