81 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Fynn says

Hey :)

I want to sell themeforest items on my website. These items are integrated in the form of web packages. I plan to attract customers via AdWords and show them some templates.

I tried using the Envato API for this but I didn’t think the small thumbnails were giving a good preview of the templates so I created sreenshots of the templates. When clicking on these screenshots the user will get redirected to a quotation form with the template thumbnail integrated.

When a customer of my site decides to buy the web package I will buy the template on Themeforest.

Am I allowed to do this? The site is nearly done and I plan to go online this weekend, so I want to be clear If this method is allowed or if I have to switch to using the Envato API again.

Off course, I state clearly on the site that the templates are not mine and I will buy them on Themeforest.

228 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
stevebluck says

For each purchase made you will need to purchase a license from TF, or I think you can get 1 extended license if it’s available.

I’m not exactly sure if this is allowed though, I think it would be hard to track down how many you sold to the amount of licenses you have purchased.

I think support will have the answer you’re looking for!

81 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Fynn says

Stevebluck thanks for replying :)

I plan to buy the template again for every sale on my site. So, for example, if inFocus will get requested 4 times via my site, I will buy inFocus 4 times on Themeforest.

Although I don’t think that’s the biggest issue here. Because if I would use the Envato API to show the templates, it would be just as hard tracking down how many sells there were on my site right? Besides, I will save every purchase confirmation and Envato would always be welcome to check my administration :) I.e I do no plan by any means to do illegal activities and always give authors credits and money.

The biggest issue here is whether I’m allowed to take small screenshots of templates I haven’t bought yet.

And thanks for the tip, I will also contact support for this.

1031 posts
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • France
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
Pixelworkshop says

From the wiki :

Items purchased under a regular or extended license may NOT be redistributed or resold “as-is” or as part of any other collection of image resources or files.

741 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Orbital_Themes says
From the wiki :

Items purchased under a regular or extended license may NOT be redistributed or resold “as-is” or as part of any other collection of image resources or files.

But then the Wiki also says that it’s allowed to purchase an item on behalf of your client. What you have quoted applies more to the situation where I buy myself a Wordpress theme, then go to any web design forum and tell people – “Hi, I have this WP theme for sale, anyone wants to buy it?” or “I have 10 WP themes from ThemeForest and I will sell them for $50”.

What Fynn wants to do, I suppose, is he will be offering a web package like web hosting + WP installation + theme + setup etc. I’d say it’s OK as long as you credit TF/authors, but the best way to know will be contacting support.

Regarding taking screenshots of themes – you have my permission if you’d like to put any of my themes on your website :D

81 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Fynn says

Thanks for checking that out Keliah, but that isn’t the same as my planned (future activities) I basically;

1. Show the visitors of my site a small collection of Themeforest templates

2. State clearly these templates are not mine

3. Let the visitors look at the templates, redirect them to the Themeforest file, author or preview page if they want

4. If a visitor decides they want a website based on a template he or she has seen, than I will buy the template for them, and integrate their texts, images, corporate identity, delete or make new pages etc.

So I am not selling or redistributing purchased Themeforest files.

It would almost be the same as if I were to show the templates via the Envato API right?

Thanks for your input. :)

81 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Fynn says

What Fynn wants to do, I suppose, is he will be offering a web package like web hosting + WP installation + theme + setup etc. I’d say it’s OK as long as you credit TF/authors, but the best way to know will be contacting support.

Regarding taking screenshots of themes – you have my permission if you’d like to put any of my themes on your website :D

Yep, that’s my intention. :) And about the small screenshots, I think that is a better to promote the templates than using the small thumbnails.

I want to do it like this; under the thumbnail there are 2 links; ‘Make quote’ : redirects to quote page ‘Made by: author name’ : redirects to author page

And when clicked on the thumbnail; redirect to live preview version.

PS, I mailed you.

1031 posts
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • France
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
Pixelworkshop says

Ok thanks for clarifying :)

Why not linking directly to the images hosted here ? I think about the large preview picture you can see on each item page. Then for screenshots, you might need to ask authors, if you select only a few templates it should be quick. I may not be allowed to give a link here but I saw an author from here doing this service : “pick up a theme and let us customize it” to say it shortly.

81 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Fynn says
Ok thanks for clarifying :) Why not linking directly to the images hosted here ? I think about the large preview picture you can see on each item page. Then for screenshots, you might need to ask authors, if you select only a few templates it should be quick. I may not be allowed to give a link here but I saw an author from here doing this service : “pick up a theme and let us customize it” to say it shortly.

Well that would be another option :) Although I would prefer a live preview version more than the theme screenshots hosted by Envato, don’t you? I think the live preview version gives you a better feel and you can see how it is rendered in the browser.

About the screenshots, I wanted to show about 20 templates per sub category. Like this;

- Site templates – Creative (20 screenshots) – Business (20 screenshots) – etc.

- Wordpress templates – Creative (20 screenshots) – Business (20 screenshots) – etc.

Currently I wrote a Twitter kinda script that shows 9 templates per category. At the bottom of the page there is a button that loads more templates via a AJAX call.

The problem (in my opinion) with the Envato API is that, besides only showing the 80×80 thumbs, you can’t call sub categories.

Asking authors would also be an option, but then there is the question whether who is the one to allow this? Themeforest or the author him or herself?

I already email support. I hope they mail me back with good news :)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Hey Fynn,

Good questions. As long as you follow the basic overview of what you’re suggesting you should be fine. You can sell the service of template customization to clients. So just be sure to be up front with people and let them know they aren’t buying the template from you, but rather buying the customization service. You should also know that when you buy a template on behalf of a client, the client is the holder of the single license.

Using screen shots on your site should not be a problem at all!

by
by
by
by
by
by