2 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
flowdee says

So in fact: what license will I have to choose when I buy a theme on behalf of a client in order to setup his website?

Do I have to save the license or give it to the client after finishing the website?

3193 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

So in fact: what license will I have to choose when I buy a theme on behalf of a client in order to setup his website? Do I have to save the license or give it to the client after finishing the website?

I suggest you have the client create and account and purchase it, because if theres any support questions that they need to ask about the theme they’ll have a buyers badge. if they ask a question without one there will be speculation if they did indeed purchase the theme or got it by some other means

2 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
flowdee says

The support for clients would work over me so there won’t be use for a forum account.

What about the license version fact?

1148 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

Hopefully a few people on here do sell the exact TF designs, I’d love to hear their approach – and how they broach the subject with their clients.

I am completely upfront with customers. I tell them they can have a completely custom design starting at $1500 for a basic design, up to $10,000 or more for complex sites with a turnaround time of 10 business days to several months, or I can suggest a template from Themeforest and buy it for them. I pay for the template if they get the hosting and maintenance starting at $100/month. This is a basic package that includes hosting, email support, Wordpress upgrades, email, and backups. For $300/month, we can handle content updates and phone support. For $500/month and up we can write the content for you and manage seo and ad campaigns.

Client case study: http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/

This client needed a site but just wanted a clean design at a low price. I picked Twicet and took content he emailed me and had his site online in 4 hours (rush fee of $250). He’s doing a gold package at $300 a month, so he can call us when a plugin goes bonkers and takes down the site. Themeforest allows us to focus on the most profitable part of the business…the recurring revenue from hosting and maintenance. The hosting costs us $1/month per client on average and maintenance/support costs about $10/month per client on average (80% of clients have never used support, and maintenance is just a matter of running a backup script and updating Wordpress to .1 releases.)

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

I haven’t read all the replies in here, so apologies if someone has already pointed this out…

Buying a template for $20 (Regular License) and then selling it for more is actually breaking the terms of the Regular License. The Regular License states that you may purchase a template on BEHALF of a client and RECOUP the cost (of $20 say) but you MAY NOT resell. This means you cannot resell the template (claiming that it is your work) and especially not for more than what you purchased it for.

+1 Agree totally and you know what, there are folks who buy templates on here who don’t even bother telling their clients where they’ve got it from and still charge. It’s those rogue renagades that end up hurting the whole community.

My advice is just be honest – offer your services as usual, and add in in theme customisation. You’d be suprised how much MORE work you get by doing this. For example I find myself getting e-mails from clients who dont have the budget for me to build something from scratch – and fair enough theres plenty of them – but rather than let these fishes go why not give them the option of chosing something they like on Themeforst and only charging customisation.

This way all those little fish who only have say £500 to spend can get alot more for their money (and a great looking site).

BE HONEST !

1 post
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
maxrichardson says

A parable everyone might like…

A mainframe computer on which everyone in the office depended suddenly went down. They tried everything but it still wouldn’t work. Finally they decided to call in a high-powered computer consultant. He arrived, looked at the computer, took out a small hammer and tapped it on the side. Instantly the computer leapt back to life. Two days later the office manager received a bill from the consultant for $1,000. Immediately he called the consultant and exclaimed, “One thousand dollars for fixing that computer?! You were only here five minutes! I want the bill itemized!” The next day the new bill arrived. It read, Tapping computer with hammer: $1 Knowing where to tap: $999

21 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
Truedezignz says

Too many new web designers charge to little because they are not comfortable at the higher price points and it drives the prices down for all.

$5000 is what most companies spent on ONE full page magazine ad a few years ago. And that was just for placement.

Go bold folks. Up your prices and don’t let clients bully you into giving your work away.

+999 Amen brother!

I field 3 or 4 requests everyday for people wanting a ‘starter website’ for 500 bucks or so. I kindly explain to them no such animal exists. I then explain to them how I don’t know how to dumb down my design and marketing strategies to make them worth less. Then I go into how web design is a skilled trade and would they expect to pay their skilled car mechanic 15.00/hr like they are suggesting I work for? Then I remind them how much they used to pay for a color ad in the Yellow Pages 20 years ago (at least 600/yr. to reach a local market). Then I explain how a website design/code is like a house and the content or pages is like the furniture in the house. I explain how I don’t care if they have 5 pages or 20, their ‘starter website’ is still a house that needs built and the fact they only have 1 bed and 1 couch to move doesn’t affect my price to build the house whatsoever. If they’re looking for a shack, please go down the road where some 18 year old will build you a half finished website over the course of the next 6 months for his 500 bucks.

Of course I say it all much nicer :)

p.s. if you land more than 40 percent of the jobs you bid, you’re probably bidding too low :)

Dear , i think the rate depends on market.you are living in a area where 500 has no worth but for some body 500 is a good amount like me.we are never able to find a client of 2000 and above.dear if you have a client of 500 please refer to me. i shall be very grateful to you for a template based design.

by
by
by
by
by
by