• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Hi Ivor , thanks a lot for the reply.
I wish to hear some thoughts about the choice of the font families , do you think it plays a crucial role when it comes to selling/buying templates/themes.

169 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
mikedidthis says

I wish to hear some thoughts about the choice of the font families , do you think it plays a crucial role when it comes to selling/buying templates/themes.

Font selection is massively important for selling and purchasing themes. Have a look through the ‘rejected’ theme threads, 75% of the time its to do with font choices, mixing the wrong typefaces / families.

Can I ask what your wanting to achieve. If you simply want to know ‘Can I use any old font in my designs’ sadly the answer is no.

Tuts has a nice article: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/choosing-the-right-font-a-practical-guide-to-typography-on-the-web/

1388 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Bedros says

Font selection is massively important for selling and purchasing themes. Have a look through the ‘rejected’ theme threads, 75% of the time its to do with font choices, mixing the wrong typefaces / families.

Can I ask what your wanting to achieve. If you simply want to know ‘Can I use any old font in my designs’ sadly the answer is no.

Tuts has a nice article: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/choosing-the-right-font-a-practical-guide-to-typography-on-the-web/

Friends , please excuse me for not being so clear.

The question is , let’s say I have two perfectly designed templates/themes.
One uses a Serif font, and the other one uses a font from the Sans-Serif family something like Verdana.

Which one is luckier when it comes to sales.?
What do you think..?
4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

do you think it plays a crucial role when it comes to selling/buying templates/themes.

Of couse it does! Is not about Serif vs. Sans-Serif in fact they work really well together if you choose the right typefaces. Just so you know there are plenty more typefaces categories out there: slab-serif, script, etc etc.

A website, flyer, billboard, etc are informational in nature, thus the typography plays a huge role, if not the most important role.

You should read more about font pairing: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/typography-articles/a-beginners-guide-to-pairing-fonts/

I also use http://typecast.com to play with typefaces and look for the perfect match. For example I really like this one: http://ivor.bz/A9Wy (Proxima Nova Semi-Bold + Droid Serif) or the other way around http://ivor.bz/c0H0

Take a look here as well: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/category/articles/typography-articles/

PS: Proxima can’t be used in commercial themes.

I hope that helps.

4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

Friends , please excuse me for not being so clear.

The question is , let’s say I have two perfectly designed templates/themes.
One uses a Serif font, and the other one uses a font from the Sans-Serif family something like Verdana.

Which one is luckier when it comes to sales.?
What do you think..?

That is a subjective question, is like asking: What color would sell more: green or orange? If you feel good with sans then go for it, if you feel better with both then feel free to do so.

You won’t find an answer to that question.

1388 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Bedros says

Thanks Ivor for the very useful links.

I think I had a little rush when opening the thread , I should be more clear

It was all about the font preferences of the buyers , I mean , about which font-family(ies) they want to see more on the templates.

Serif heavy design has the same luck as a Sans-Serif heavy design when it comes to sales..?

Yay , I finally asked my question :)

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

Thanks Ivor for the very useful links.

I think I had a little rush when opening the thread , I should be more clear

It was all about the font preferences of the buyers , I mean , about which font-family(ies) they want to see more on the templates.

Serif heavy design has the same luck as a Sans-Serif heavy design when it comes to sales..?

Yay , I finally asked my question :)

Hard to find a correct answer to your question :). I think it’s not about Serif or Sans specifically but how they get on well together to make the whole aesthetic structure of the theme. Actually when I buy a theme on TF, I look at the functions, the back panel and the support side of the theme more. Because I know if I don’t like the typeface, it’s much easier to change the fonts in some lines of code – rather than to change the functional structure of the theme. Just don’t use too many fonts on a theme, I think so :).

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Make both versions.
I used this idea on my latest template and is working fine for users, as they see 2 different styles within the same file. Target 2 different markets on each one and you will get more people interested. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by