2 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
stewartlgraham says

Is there as set of robust agreements in place to ensure a minimum quality standard of the themes you buy at Themeforest and post purchase service you should receive from a seller? Is it not a basic right to assume the goods you buy should be “fit for purpose” and that they should actually work (or do what they say they do)? I’ve noticed a sharp hike in prices, a raft of new authors and, sadly, a marked increase in poor quality themes as well as lacklustre post service support. Who does the checking at Themeforest to ensure that the goods for sale are of merchantable quality?

3701 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

I believe most of this is covered in the T&Cs of the site. there is a review process that is undertaken to ensure quality of submissions. Of course some errors get through the net, as is the case with most online marketplaces especially those that receive as many submissions as they do here. In those circumstances assuming that the file does not operate as advertised in the demo then buyers are entitled to a refund. This is only the case if there is a genuine fault with the product that Envato will check if someone submits a refund request. Many of the “broken” or “not working” complaints we see on here are down to users making changes to the core code, a lack of experience or expecting things that are not demonstrated with the files and would be classed as custom work.

As far as support goes – there is zero obligation for an author to offer any form of support (although many do). TF is a marketplace and does not own any copyright or legal ownership of the files sold here so are unable to enforce mandatory follow up support, and should they introduce this as a requirement it would likely damage the quality and number of files available here.

Hope that helps in some way to clarify.

2 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
stewartlgraham says

Charlie, Thanks. I understand and appreciate all that you say. However, a) how qualified are the reviewers (given the diversity of items coming online), b) to what extent are all the themes reviewed (is the review a cursory glance or a more robust and in-depth testing regime) and c) as a responsible seller or reseller, which Themeforest purports to be, is there not a legitimate or legal responsibility on them to ensure that the goods sold (via a legitimate for money transaction/web facility they own) are “fit for purpose”. In my case it is not user error, often the themes are broken to some degree “out of the box”.

by
by
by
by
by
by