356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

Also something to add here (not sure whether others have this problem). On my Windows Phone 7.8 (basically mobile IE9), I can’t reply the comments ever since the interface has been changed to the current one. When I tap on the reply field, there is no ‘Reply’ button being shown. It used to work quite well with the old interface.

I hope this bug can be fixed though.

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

Hi GravityDept, thanks (really) for such a detailed post.

This doesn’t fall on deaf ears, we will improve this stuff, some parts very soon. Item Support (which includes comments, and the notifications) is a focus for us right now, because I know this is a huge pain point for both authors and buyers. These tools matter.

We want and need this feedback, and we take it constructively. We won’t get anywhere near a great UX on the dashboard (or anywhere else) without the conversation, and we won’t get there in one step. We made some small improvements (and some mistakes) late last year, but we’re far from calling the dashboard “done”, obviously.

It must be frustrating when we don’t follow-up with a second or third iteration in a reasonable amount of time, and we’re trying to improve this.

Here’s what I really want us to look at short-term:

• Notifications to Authors of New Comments (the first step has been done — adding permalinks to comment threads so that we have somewhere useful to link to) Modal Editor & Keyboard Nav (we have a less-awful, mobile-friendly modal box to try as a short-term fix)
  • Blockquotes (we missed this, sorry)
  • Self-expanding text area on iPhone (great feedback, thanks)
  • Touch targets (great feedback, we’ll see what we can do short-term)
  • Rasterized Comment Icons (great feedback, they’re icon fonts so they should scale fine, will look into it)
  • Windows Phone (I hope)

Longer term:

• A mobile-friendly / responsive author dashboard (in the meantime, fixing the issues you raised should help ease the pain)
  • Which comments to show you (see below)

I’ve been wanting to explore “which comments to show you” for a while, so let’s start! We can remove the avatar, but I think we’re avoiding the bigger issue — you shouldn’t have to scan anything!

The current “mark all as read” is a bit awkward to say the least. Tracking a read/unread state for comments is probably going over the top, so I’ve been wondering what would be ideal for authors here. One possibility I’ve been thinking about is showing comments that “are in need a reply”, but I don’t think that’s perfect either. So, forget everything we have right now — how should a comment dashboard work for authors?

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I’ll second a few of the items from the original poster:

1. Blockquote styles.

Yes, please put these back. I like to quote comments on occasion as they often fail to use any numbering, formatting, etc. that would allow me to easily specify which part of the two paragraph run-on sentence is currently being addressed and blockquotes are an easy way to do this among other potential uses.

2. The arrow key navigation in the modal.

Dude, you kind of nailed it on this one. I mean, that’s EXACTLY when I want to use arrows to get to a specific character. Typos, grammar mistakes, etc. This is an annoying issue.

3. Bullet lists

This wasn’t in the original poster’s list I don’t think. The bullet list styles are jacked up right now. It’s kind of important to have the ability to use lists. Seeing as how a couple lines of links (one per line) will be turned into a very long single line of links when you post it.

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

3. Bullet lists This wasn’t in the original poster’s list I don’t think. The bullet list styles are jacked up right now. It’s kind of important to have the ability to use lists. Seeing as how a couple lines of links (one per line) will be turned into a very long single line of links when you post it.

Noted :)

91 posts
  • Envato Developer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
bensmithett Dev says

Self-Expanding Textarea — This does not work on iPhones. It half-expands for each line, which makes proofreading or editing my comments a complete nightmare.

It looks like this is an issue in iOS 6.0. We’ll get a fix out asap, but in the meantime updating your iPhone to iOS 6.1 should correct the problem.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Another issue that’s been a long-time annoyance is after editing a comment the page is redirected to the item’s comment thread. This reverses the sort chronology and means I have to scroll way down to read my edits — or return the dashboard (which it should have done in the first place).

@ Justin French — Glad to hear Envato is reacting to this kind of feedback, but I do wonder why it took a 1000 word journal of how bad a single component actually is to incite action. I’ve individually raised these issues (some repeatedly) over the years to basically no response except from other authors. I shouldn’t need to bring all the pitchforks at once, but my takeaway is that approach works.

I don’t have a major issue with “Mark all as read” personally. For under 20 comments per day it’s pretty manageable, but over in WordPress-land some authors might be hating this if they’re getting 20 comments an hour. It’s very likely they’re unknowingly marking comments that appeared in the last few minutes as read (downside of using AJAX for form submission / editing).

Realistically the only fool-proof method is giving each item an “is archived” marker in the DB — just like email. Whenever a new comment is posted in that thread, it should reset to false.

It’s not enough to assume if a comment has been replied to that it should be archived. Sometimes you need to follow-up, and other times a comment needs no reply but should be archived. Archiving and replying need to be separate actions, and you should still be able to “archive all”.

@ bensmithett — Yes, I noticed this after updating to iOS 6.1 last week.

91 posts
  • Envato Developer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
bensmithett Dev says

A few small fixes have been rolled out relating to this thread:

• Fix the bug where you’d be redirected to the item comment thread after editing a comment on your dashboard
  • No more modals!
  • Blockquotes & lists actually look like blockquotes & lists in comments now
575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

@ bensmithett — Thanks for the update, dropping the modals is already a 2000% improvement for mobile devices.

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

When a buyer comments he has the option of getting email notifications of replies. Authors cannot get notifications.

We just shipped this feature today. There’s more to do, but this is one piece in place.

5763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

When a buyer comments he has the option of getting email notifications of replies. Authors cannot get notifications.
We just shipped this feature today. There’s more to do, but this is one piece in place.

Will this notification work for all the comments or only for replies of a main comment? I believe GravityDept was asking for notification only for “replies” – as that is the only scenario a typical ThemeForest author want immediately notified.

by
by
by
by
by
by