3118 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

Great suggestions, only one of which I’d already spotted :) This should all be fixed pretty quick.

can you move the list position to the inside on the css? its really annoying me on the author dash

it also does it on the community page

p.s you’d get rejected for that :-P

541 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Great suggestions, only one of which I’d already spotted :) This should all be fixed pretty quick.

Any updates on this? It’s been a week and these issues are still making comment notifications a pain to live with: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/seven-ux-blunders-in-item-comments-envato-should-have-fixed/86345?page=3#747479

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

I see the item comment email were updated. It’s an improvement based on my prior feedback: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/seven-ux-blunders-in-item-comments-envato-should-have-fixed/86345?page=3#747479

But it could still be improved further:

1. Make the subject lines hackable Originally the subject lines looked like this:

[ThemeForest] New comment on your item “Acumen”

In my original suggestion, I said subject lines should be changed to:

[ThemeForest] New comment on “Acumen” from username

Including the username prevents all communication from multiple users being grouped together in threaded email conversations. This helps a single thread always be related to one user’s problem.

I deliberately asked (and explained why) the item name should come before the username.

But they were actually changed to:

[ThemeForest] firstname lastname commented on your item “Acumen”

I’ll say it again, this is worse:

A. It’s not easily hackable. What I should be able to do is setup a filter like matches “[ThemeForest] New comment on “Acumen”” which automatically applies a label in my mail app. For someone who uses labels heavily to stay organized this helps skip a mundane task, and works as an extension of other rules like automatically labeling subjects that start with “[ThemeForest]” with the label “ThemeForest”.

B. Giving the user’s first name and last name doesn’t make any sense. This information is never shown anywhere else in communications or on the ThemeForest site. I couldn’t care less about the privacy aspect, although some might, but this is simply confusing. If I’ve ever had former interactions with the user I’m going to remember them by their username. It doesn’t make sense why this wouldn’t be the identifying string.

2. Give full purchase verification info immediately. Currently the email simply says:

username has purchased the item.

It should tell me how many licenses the user purchased and when those purchases were made. This information is provided (via a time-wasting link) when buyers contact authors via direct messages. The information available between these two methods needs to be consistent and complete. Better notifications would be:

username has purchased two licenses:
2012-10-21 Standard
2013-01-04 Extended

And:

username has not purchased a license.

This provides a much better picture to authors of this buyer’s value and history.

And it’s hackable. I can setup a filter to automatically label the buyer as “Verified” or “Unverified” by scanning for the text “has purchased” or “has not purchased”.

22 posts
  • Australia
compactcode says

Hi GravityDept,

I’m not sure what happened regarding the subject line but I’ve updated it to use the format you suggested, thanks for calling us out on that.

Regarding your second point, you mention setting up a filter for “Verified” and “Unverified”. You should be able to do that for the comment email now, were you referring to updating the direct message email so it works with the same filter?

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

@ compactcode — Thanks for the updating the subject line. That makes it a lot easier to build filters.

Yes, ideally both comment and direct message notifications would have the same format and interaction, i.e. don’t require clicking through to verify in one notification and not the other. Just send all the relevant info.

• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

The character encoding for comment emails chokes pretty hard if quotes or angle brackets are used. It makes the message hard to read. See: http://cl.ly/NymP

4594 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

Thanks GravityDept. I’ll pass that on.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Thanks GravityDept. I’ll pass that on.

Those emails deserve one round of “complete” testing. No problem from author’s side since we most probably click the link and look at the item comment to reply anyway. But the unreadable format can easily frustrate buyers – may feel we are forcing them to visit the site unnecessarily.

by
by
by
by
by
by