5 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
flacnvinyl says

I have opened a ticket with Envato support but not heard back. Below is the issue. If you don’t have time to read through the whole thing here is a short summary.

1. Theme is broken. Menu moves onto two lines and gets hidden behind logo/search/social-icons. 2. Author refused to fix menu issue, said it could not be done. I hired an outside developer who fixed it in a few hours. The code is bad. 3. The theme is completely broken on IE6 and IE7. 4. Author was rude during all responses and banned me for asking questions on his forum. 5. Author claimed to have provided ‘multiple customizations’, but infact only provided one code to make the menu appear on two lines, which made things function worse and visually look horrible.

My developer and I are both amazed at how bad they responded. There seems to be no ‘report’ option with authors, and my comment on the theme page was removed detailing this issue. If you have any advice, please let me know. Today my developer is working through the broken IE6/7 issue. I am having to spend a good bit of money and time solving issues the developer refuses to acknowledge, fix, or even provide help finding the code that needs to be corrected.

Footnote, I have NEVER had this type of encounter on here. MDNW and HB-Themes have provided excellent bug hunting support and even custom code to solve things in between updates. This is the first time I have had a negative experience on Theme Forest or with any theme developer for that matter!

Thank you for your time! Drake@hatfieldmedia.com

----- Correspondence via PM on their support forum

flacnvinyl February 7

Screenshot will not display the problem. The issue is the viewpoint doesn’t change with the resolution. So when I load the size small and resize large, the text goes crazy and bunches together. When I load the site in a large window and resize it, it moves into two layers. However, when I load initially under any resolution, it works just fine.

6:12AM We see what you mean but it is like that and can`t be done nothing else. Tell us which user is loading page on computer in small size and then resizing it to large? Answear is simple – no one because it`s useless. Users using just one version on each device (ipad, iphone, computer or other tools). If you think in other way you can turn off responsive version and use one version for each user because we can`t do anything with that. It mus be like that and there is no other way to sort it out.

flacnvinyl 10:14AM Your answer is inappropriate. The menu code is written poorly, especially when compared to other responsive menus. I am one of those users who frequently moves sites around and resizes windows for working. I noticed it day one, and my clients noticed it upon launch.

Your theme is the only one with a responsive menu that bunches up at lower resolutions on older browsers. My developer could rewrite the entire menu correctly. It does not ‘have to be that way’.

Responsive is designed so that these problems are avoided.

If you provide a solution, great. Otherwise I will be posting your reply on this forum, your theme’s page on theme forest, and I will be reporting your theme for bad code on theme forest. I will also be posting the fact that you were unwilling to fix a serious issue.

I should not have to hire a developer to FIX the bad menu code. I hope you prove me wrong. Well wait a day before proceeding

10:43AM Of course our answear is appropriate. We did many changes for you with menu and you still have a problem. As you probably know customization is not included into menu. You should probably read carefully themeforest legal aggrements. Nevertheless we helped you a lot with your site.

In our opinion this it is not standard behavior to resize browser screen to smaller, refresh and then resize to larger again. Site is opening on device and should be working on this device. This theme is working on each device properly so we don`t understand why you have a problem. We really sorry but we don`t have any plans to do it because we don`t think this is issue. So please don`t be mean because we already helped you with many customization things nevertheless we are not website developers. Then if you are not able to appreciate our all help, we can`t help you with nothing else.

flacnvinyl 11:07AM You never solved the issue and I brought it to you MULTIPLE times.

If you look back through our conversations you will see that you provided me custom code that made a minor adjustment, but which shifted everything onto two lines. As a result, on certain computers the menu got completely jumbled.

Upon launching a new site, we got slammed with calls saying the menu was hidden behind the logo and social/search areas. Clients thought the site was HACKED because the menu was displaying so poorly on lower resolutions. Your customization did not solve this. I had to hire an outside developer to FIX your code and bring it to the point where it currently is on

The code on that site is not your work, but the work of an outside developer well-versed in responsive design. Right now the issue is the menu adding inline stlyes (width) to the code. Wish we could just find where that code is and remove it! All of this would be fixed if we could be provided that code!!

Right now, if you use the entire menu bar area, when you resize or have it on a smaller device, the menu goes to TWO LINES. This is not done according to correct rules and makes any sites done with your theme seem amateur and broken. So if you design a header height at 120 that looks great with your menu, then when you have it display at a lower resolution, the majority of the menu moves behind the logo and search bar!!!

1496 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
OriginalEXE says

You mentioned IE6/7. Those browsers are not on the supported list on the theme listing (and they shouldn’t be in my opinion) so the issue with the menu in those browsers is not to be blamed on devs.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Here are some thoughts.

1. IE 6 & 7 are no longer required for support in themeforest files.
2. A bank is required to invest more in his website. Using commercial stock themes is not something to give to your users. It needs a professional team that designs and manages it. Because it manages other type of users. You can’t have that by purchasing a 45$ theme.

5 posts
flacnvinyl says

That I can understand. The issue with the menu is the main thing. I have hired a developer to fix the IE6/7 issue.. and I hate the fact that so many of the client’s base uses such an ancient browser. The menu is the issue. And their response.

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

You mentioned IE6/7. Those browsers are not on the supported list on the theme listing (and they shouldn’t be in my opinion) so the issue with the menu in those browsers is not to be blamed on devs.

agreed.

5 posts
flacnvinyl says

The menu issue was across multiple browsers, not just those two. The viewpoint tags were being interfered with in the includes.js file

The theme is the start for the site. My developer is creating a new theme from scratch with us. This theme was something to get us started so that the site could begin working properly instead of being an html page from 1995.

298 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
crossroad says

Sad to read about your experience. The author should be polite and try to fix the problems instead of being rude. However, I really doubt if anyone still uses IE6. Also, the menu issue which you mentioned, didn’t you check this in the theme demo? I’m not sure, but I think according to Envato rules, you buy the product as it is and the author is not required to provide the support.

5 posts
flacnvinyl says

You are probably right about the support. I am reminded of that whole Southpark thing with Steve Jobs trying to get people to read the user contract….

I guess I am just spoiled dealing with polite people who are easy to understand and work with. The menu was broken on the demo on certain browsers, and not just IE. browsershots.com yielded some fun results before I had my dev do a number on the js coding.

I have been shocked by the amount of people using IE7/6. Their base is an older crowd so it makes sense. Just very unfortunate.

The good news I suppose is that it has lit a fire under my dev to finish the site development. We will have a new one up by the end of the week, just a shame to run into so many issues, and be banned from a forum for asking questions.

1496 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
OriginalEXE says

Well you were bound to have a bad experience, without them you would not appreciate the good ones :) Damage is done but nothing you can do here now, good luck with the new design.

298 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
crossroad says

just a shame to run into so many issues, and be banned from a forum for asking questions.

... that was definitely very rude and stupid. Perhaps you can leave your feedback on the theme page, so that other users can be aware of the issues.

by
by
by
by
by
by